Photographers toning it down ?

ToadOfToadHall

do these photographers sometimes leave pictures in our cabins and if we do not return them... we get billed by default?

Regards

John

No, unless things have changed since QV in July.

The pictures are displayed in the area of the photo sales desk. You take the photo out of the rack and take it to the desk to buy.

David

Sorry if I appear dim but you've lost me here.

When you say "photos you take during the voyage" I presume you mean "have taken", ie by the ships photographers. But this is assuming that everyone will have photos taken (I don't) and if they do, that they will want to view them (I wouldn't)

All done for our own convenience of course, but I wonder why this new system is not highlighted in any pre cruise literature.

David.

Yes I was referring to photos taken by the ship's photographers.

Do people actually know that they are using facial recognition software ?

Or do they just take your picture and ask for your room number ? That way, the photo would be tagged with your number, so when you pop your card in the machine's slot it can display your photos ?

When you stick you card in one of the photo machines you'll often come across some that aren't of you or your party. From memory the machine will ask "Is this you" or "Not you" and you have the option to remove the mistaken identity photo from your selection. Mostly it's the ones where they don't take your keycard when taking the photo: ones taken at cocktail parties or shore tours, that sort of thing.

Just to make it plain to my DW and I guess, many others. When you first check in for your cruise you will have your photo taken (not by the ships photographers but by the check in person) You cannot board without this.

The photo is embedded in to the key card. You can't see it but it can be read with the equipment at check in and out and in the shops etc.

I suspect that using this technology will eventually mean that they will not print all the pictures and bin most of them as happens now.

I have no objection to this particularly if it means that the prices come down, which is, admittedly unlikely.

It's the lies I don't like.

David.

There is a logical explanation for this. They need a photo of you, and your key card, to match you up for any further photos you take during the voyage. This is to your advantage as when you use one of the automated booths to check out any photos you've taken since, the facial recognition program will have collated all the photos with you in them. They will all appear when you insert your card.

I really don't see what the big fuss is about this. It doesn't cost anyone anything and just makes looking at your photos easier.

I do see a problem there:

This is the first step on to an automatic charge on your account for any photo taken by the photographers, wether you want it or not. Ever tried to claim a charge on your last nights statement? Even the concierge on deck 9 disapperars before the statement is distributed...

I do see a problem there:

This is the first step on to an automatic charge on your account for any photo taken by the photographers, wether you want it or not. Ever tried to claim a charge on your last nights statement? Even the concierge on deck 9 disapperars before the statement is distributed...

I think we all need to calm down. Just because they swipe your card when they take a photo, doesn't mean we're going to get hit with thousands of dollars of incorrect charges.

These are real people doing a real job. So far, on this one thread, they've been accused of "lying", "bullying" and participating in a "scam" against Cunard passengers. One poster told us all how she'd like to "grab their cameras and stamp them into little pieces".

Like I said, I think perhaps a little perspective and understanding might be in order.

Well said Whitemarsh.

I may not like the photographers slowing down boarding (as I have health difficulties associated with standing still) but I accept them as part of the way of life on board ship. Many love them, and the ship needs to accommodate those people. I like the low last-minute cruise prices I find - and they would not be possible without the fees that the photographic concession pays to Cunard. I am selectively blind and walk past them without letting them impact on my enjoyment.

As for this fear of charges: I travel with Cunard because I trust them. They will not work with an outside company (the photo concession) in such a way as to erode our trust. They would lose more than they gain.

The photo is embedded in to the key card. You can't see it but it can be read with the equipment at check in and out and in the shops etc.

That's not actually how it works. The photo is not embedded in the card, i.e. the card does not store that information. The equipment at check in and out simply reads the barcode which has your name/cabin number on it and then pulls up your picture from the database.

The result is that when the barcode is read they see your picture; but the picture is not stored on the card.

When you stick you card in one of the photo machines you'll often come across some that aren't of you or your party. From memory the machine will ask "Is this you" or "Not you" and you have the option to remove the mistaken identity photo from your selection. Mostly it's the ones where they don't take your keycard when taking the photo: ones taken at cocktail parties or shore tours, that sort of thing.

In that case then they certainly don't need to take a picture for ID when you first board, because any picture can be used to match your face to the one that they take when you arrive at the check in.

As for this fear of charges: I travel with Cunard because I trust them. They will not work with an outside company (the photo concession) in such a way as to erode our trust. They would lose more than they gain.

I admire your trust. All my trust of Carnival/Cunard (and most of the senior officers) went after the Christmas Choir DVD debacle on the QE 2010 Christmas cruise. I won't waste my time writing about it on here because I'll just be told it's fibs etc.

I have friends who are in New York as I write, about to board The Liner Queen Mary 2 for her Line Voyage, a Transatlantic Crossing, Transporting her passengers from the U.S.A. to Europe.

One of them is a first-time passenger on any ship (and selected a Liner to make the Transatlantic voyage rather than a cruise-ship on a repositioning voyage across the pond) and has emailed me with several serious concerns after reading this thread.

She has asked me a few questions, some of which I thought I’d post here to get some feedback from those “in the know” (as things have obviously changed since my last crossing).

1. Are passengers sent forward individually to be confronted and assaulted by the photographers, or can family groups stick together? Maybe, like wildebeest, leaving any member of the group behind who is new-born, too old or too lame, for the pack of photographers to attack?

2. If the “innocents” such as my friend, are sent forward individually by the security team for their attempt to board, are they allowed padding (like American football players)? Can this be purchased in the terminal, or do passengers have to supply their own?

3.Are passengers allowed to gather around and watch those ahead of them, maybe learning a few tricks and dodges on how best to get past the “lying” and “bullying” photographers?

4. If she books with Cunard again, is it worth booking Queens Grill? (i.e. are grill passengers treated differently? For example, are steerage assaulted with wooden clubs, but they just use their fists on the upper grades of passengers?).

5. Is there a First Aid station set up for passengers use should they manage, eventually, to evade the photographer, but need treatment for the cuts and bruises?

6. Is there a pre-agreed sign can be given by any passenger who wishes to give up on the unequal struggle to get past the photographer, and they are quietly led away to a holding area while their journey home is arranged?

7. After a set time, if any passenger is still trying unsuccessfully to board, are they also taken away by security staff, and informed that sadly, there will be no voyage for them this year?

8. Is OBC awarded for style and “artistic content” in their method of evading the photographers, but deducted for ducking under the rope barriers or simply saying “No, thank you”?

Any help or advice you can give would be appreciated as she is approaching the terminal now... ;)

Best wishes to all :).

Any help or advice you can give would be appreciated as she is approaching the terminal now... ;)

Best wishes to all :).

If she does manage to get on board (which is clearly not assured) she should come to see me in cabin 8129 where I will be opening a branch office giving legal advice on how to claim compensation for:-

(a) Assault by Photographers (criminal and civil assaults)

(b) Norovirus illnesses caught on board (torts - general)

© Cunard's change of tendering/berthing arrangements for any upcoming cruises (deception and confusion in brochure advertising)

(d) Deception and confusion of passengers when they step on board and realise the QM2 is not a liner

(e) Failure to keep safe any public areas (photographer's cables, sinkholes outside Britannia Restaurant)

(f) The serving of cold pasta without sauce in the Britannia Dining Room (breach of contract).

All rates for legal advice very reasonable.

Louise, please can you also give advice in your branch office as to our legal comeback when Cunard staff say 'We cannot help you at this time'?

O.K. but that is tricky. It depends what it is that the Cunard staff are refusing to help you with.

We have heard reports of this memorable phrase being spoken in so many contexts. Clearly, the remedy available will depend upon the seriousness of the act or omission.

O.K. but that is tricky. It depends what it is that the Cunard staff are refusing to help you with.

We have heard reports of this memorable phrase being spoken in so many contexts. Clearly, the remedy available will depend upon the seriousness of the act or omission.

Obviously my whole last cruise was ruined when the lunch buffet did not serve chopped chives to go on my baked potato (with bacon and cheese). The chives had been there every time I looked, on the November/December cruise, setting a precedent.

I admit that the memorable phrase was not used, but that was because I was too intimidated (by the lack of comprehension of the staff member when I asked about chives) to ask an appropriate question such as 'When will the chives next be served?'

I like the low last-minute cruise prices I find - and they would not be possible without the fees that the photographic concession pays to Cunard.

As for this fear of charges: I travel with Cunard because I trust them. /QUOTE]

I think it's pushing it a bit to claim that the photographers make Getaways possiblle.

As for charges, I don't think there is any chance of anyone being billed for pictures they have not asked for or received. A far worse practice is the way they hang on to self bought OBC that has not been spent fully.

David.

I like the low last-minute cruise prices I find - and they would not be possible without the fees that the photographic concession pays to Cunard.

As for this fear of charges: I travel with Cunard because I trust them. /QUOTE]

I think it's pushing it a bit to claim that the photographers make Getaways possiblle.

As for charges, I don't think there is any chance of anyone being billed for pictures they have not asked for or received. A far worse practice is the way they hang on to self bought OBC that has not been spent fully.

David.

I totally agree and find it incredible that they can alter their Terms and Conditions to allow this practice.

Obviously my whole last cruise was ruined when the lunch buffet did not serve chopped chives to go on my baked potato
Did you want thickly chopped chives or thinly chopped chives for your baked potato?

On the subject of photographers. Or any of the other trivial complaints.

Life is too short or in one or two cases far too long to worry about silly things.

We are alive and are enjoying something that only a tiny percentage of the worlds population can ever dream of doing. We have someone to make the bed and clean the bathroom. Someone to cook the four course dinner and wash up after. Someone to serve drinks. We need not lift a finger all the time we are onboard.

Get a perspective.

Complain when the ship sinks.

Or catches fire.

Or runs into an iceberg.

Anything less is not worth stressing yourself or those around you or us about.

Obviously my whole last cruise was ruined when the lunch buffet did not serve chopped chives to go on my baked potato (with bacon and cheese). The chives had been there every time I looked, on the November/December cruise, setting a precedent.

I admit that the memorable phrase was not used, but that was because I was too intimidated (by the lack of comprehension of the staff member when I asked about chives) to ask an appropriate question such as 'When will the chives next be served?'

Now Fantasy51, you should know by now that you should never make any admissions without appropriate legal advice.

By Cunard's conduct of supplying chives on a regular basis in November and December, and your reliance upon the same, Cunard was estopped from a sudden withdrawal of the chives in the manner which occurred. There is no doubt you have a strong case.

My bill is in the mail.

I think it's pushing it a bit to claim that the photographers make Getaways possible.

I believe that photographers plus Hardings (on-board jewellers) plus ... plus ... all contribute to making cruises viable. I don't believe that one of these by itself makes a huge difference, but Cunard needs all it can get in the current economic situation.

I'm a realist. I know that the fare itself does not cover all the costs and expected profit to the shareholders. A good business covers all the angles.

Seabourn has gone for a different business model where they charge you up-front and then give out free drinks. They know what their income will be and they can choose to not have photographers onboard. Seabourn charges more than I can afford. Because I love Cunard, and it is affordable, I will put up some inconveniences.

Archived