Who does Carnival use for SCUBA in Grand Cayman

BigRed93

Sorry, I finally found it - Don Foster's

Anyone have experience with them? Booking thru the ship seems to be less expensive than even booking thru the same op separately. especially if you don't want to haul equipment around. Just trying to explore options.:)

Sorry, I finally found it - Don Foster's

Anyone have experience with them? Booking thru the ship seems to be less expensive than even booking thru the same op separately. especially if you don't want to haul equipment around. Just trying to explore options.:)

We used Don Foster's through the ship in 2011, and it was "OK." It was definitely more of a cattle boat feeling than our dive in Cozumel. In all fairness, though, we used a private dive op in Cozumel (Scuba with Alison), so it's sort of like comparing dining at a Golden Corral to a nicer steakhouse. There's nothing wrong with Golden Corral in and of itself, but comparing it to a steakhouse will make it "look" worse.

This last April, we used Cayman Turtle Divers and loved them! In fact, we are booked with them in December. They'll pick you up just outside the cruise terminal and have you back in plenty of time. The manager, JT, is VERY good at returning e-mails. They are a small dive op and you get personalized service. DW and I had a blast with them, and are eagerly looking forward to diving with them again. Their prices are very competitive, too!

have you considered shore dives from Eden Rock or Sunset House?

- walking distance

- full service dive shops

- cost is for rental gear if needed ... and a $10 tank.

but true, if you want the WALL you want a boat . . .

but some boats take you to Eden Rock or Sunset for the second dive so your cost delta is for ONE dive of two

I used the Carnival Op a few years ago, and it was pretty good. There were about fifteen people, but it was a fairly large boat and we were split up into two different groups. Second dive went down on a sunny day, came up and the leading edge of a hurricane had arrived. Had to wear the mask all the way back to the port the rain was driving so hard into our eyes. Wore wetsuits all the way back to the ship and everyone else on the tender getting soaked was jealous.

I was at Don Foster's with HAL. I didn't care for the operation at all. We had at least 40divers in the water and insuffiicient numbers of DMs. Although we were provided a bus to get to the shop, we had to walk back after the dives. It was a long, long walk carrying a heavy bag of wet equipment.

ok Laurie, you're scaring me LOL

While I might be okay with the 40 divers in the water (we have dived Key Largo and that seems to be the norm:rolleyes:) the walking back wet with wet gear is horrible. What was that about?!

Lefty Writer - I have been emailing with JT, who has been very kind and responsive. I hate to keep asking him questions, but if you see this, when the van picked you up, where did they take you? I have a vision of the beach, where you have to wade into the water to get into the boat. That is okay, but I would like to know ahead of time so I am dressed appropriately. Had a little adventure in GT trying to get into a tiny boat as a Princess ship was going past and, well, there were no dry items left in my bag, because I didn't realize I needed to put my clothes in the dry bag yet...

The other issue is that we are there from 10-6, which means back on the ship by 5:30. We would have to do an afternoon dive, getting picked up at 1, and dropped back off at the dock at 5. I realize there is a lot of dive sites on that western side, so we wouldn't be far, but I am such a worrier. I don't know what to do :(

ok Laurie, you're scaring me LOL

While I might be okay with the 40 divers in the water (we have dived Key Largo and that seems to be the norm:rolleyes:) the walking back wet with wet gear is horrible. What was that about?!

Lefty Writer - I have been emailing with JT, who has been very kind and responsive. I hate to keep asking him questions, but if you see this, when the van picked you up, where did they take you? I have a vision of the beach, where you have to wade into the water to get into the boat. That is okay, but I would like to know ahead of time so I am dressed appropriately. Had a little adventure in GT trying to get into a tiny boat as a Princess ship was going past and, well, there were no dry items left in my bag, because I didn't realize I needed to put my clothes in the dry bag yet...

The other issue is that we are there from 10-6, which means back on the ship by 5:30. We would have to do an afternoon dive, getting picked up at 1, and dropped back off at the dock at 5. I realize there is a lot of dive sites on that western side, so we wouldn't be far, but I am such a worrier. I don't know what to do :(

At least for our trip, they picked us up by the Dairy Queen right outside the terminal, and drove us to a marina (about 10 minutes away, more or less) that I believe was called "The Yacht Club." We boarded their boat from a pier and off we went.

We will also be there from 1000 - 1800 while on the Liberty and we are NOT worried about the time. JT and Al will make sure you are back in plenty of time.

Are y'all diving the Kittiwake? We wanted to when we were there in April, but the sea state wasn't cooperative. JT took us to two other places which were a blast! We got to see an eagle ray glide past from about 25 feet away. On our December trip, JT said the weather should be perfect for diving the Kittiwake.

Archived