Rome Advice

Darkster

Hello all,

Were going to be in Rome post cruise for a couple of days so we plan on seeing the Vatican & Sistine Chapel as well as the Coliseum in the same day (Thursday the 11th). I have already purchased our Vatican tickets online for 10:30 and I am wondering what time should I get our Coliseum tickets for? I imagine the Vatican will be 3-4 hours?? Just don't know for sure if my time allowance is accurate to allow for seeing everything and getting over to the Coliseum.

Thanks in advance....

Are you only planning to see the Vatican museum? Or also St. Peter's? You could do both in 4 hours and get a decent introduction to both places (you could literally spend a a day or more in the Museum, but for most people "museum fatigue" hits long before that). If you want to climb the dome, that adds additional time.

At any rate, normal admission tickets to the Colosseum are not timed, as far as I know, so it's a bit of a moot point. Or are you talking about getting a tour there?

Doing both in the same day is doable but a VERY tiring day. Be sure to build lunch with time to sit and rest somewhere along the way. We did the Vatican first thing in the morning and EASILY spent about 5 hours there. Someone said if you do the whole thing, you will have walked about 12 miles. I don't doubt it at all.

We met our private guide at 9 am....did the museums, the chapel and St. Peters. We did not climb the dome.

We then walked to a nearby pizza place @ 1:00 and had a quick bite for lunch. 5 euro for personal pizza, drink and dessert. Tiny hole-in-the-wall place but great pizza.

Then a quick cab ride to the Coliseum/Forum. Our same private guide bought our tickets at the Forum ticket booth but we did the Coliseum first before it closed. Then we went to the Forum and walked all over it. (check the closing time for the Coliseum - it closes early off-season)

We were done by 4:30 (ish)........

and yes I slept very well that night !!!! But was up and ready to go the next morning.

ps: "museum fatigue" is a good one ...... I also like to use "visual overload" to describe the Vatican museums :)

ps: "museum fatigue" is a good one ...... I also like to use "visual overload" to describe the Vatican museums :)

Both great terms--we spent a month in Italy before heading to France and museumed ourselves out; I have never been so 'fatigued' and 'overloaded' as I was at the Louvre! It was supposed to snow in Paris that day, so we thought we would just immerse ourselves in the museum--big mistake. Total overload. Should have chosen the specific eras we wanted to explore; instead we wasted our energy on the stuff I don't really care about and were too maxed out to enjoy what mattered to us. To this day I shudder when thinking about it. And at the time, I thought if I saw one more "Madonna and Child" I would go postal!

We've learned (sort of) from that lesson and don't try to pack too much into one visit--leave something for the return trip!

Archived