Disembarkment on Gem in NYC

ScottElkaBowl

What is the earliest you've been able to get off of the Gem in NYC? I'm putting together some things to do in NYC after our cruise and didn't want to plan anything too soon. We are planning to walk off the ship with our own luggage so we don't have to wait for that either. Thanks!!!

I can tell you the latest I walked through customs - 10:45! We did self disembark, and there were issues in customs (maybe just not enough employees? Only half of the stations were open). We stood for hours in line with our luggage.

However, I don't think this happens a lot - trying to decide what to do on our next cruise. We'd love to get out of there before new passengers start arriving, but I don't want to go through that again.

If you get a porter (and tip), you walk ahead of the lines and go to the next available Customs Agent.

At least this is what happened to me on my last 2 Gem Cruises from NY this year.

I found the tip was well worth it. (They also took us up one floor in an elevator to get a cab - much better than fighting the lines on the street)

If you get a porter (and tip), you walk ahead of the lines and go to the next available Customs Agent.

At least this is what happened to me on my last 2 Gem Cruises from NY this year.

I found the tip was well worth it. (They also took us up one floor in an elevator to get a cab - much better than fighting the lines on the street)

What is a porter and how do you get one? How much tip are we talking here? Thank you!

Porters are the stevedores (longshoreman usually) that load and unload the ship. They have some available in the customs building to help people with their bags. (there is a line for porters it was right to the right of the GOLD (priority) luggage tags - near an overhead door if you can't find one walking around).

I tipped $20.00 for 3 bags - and thought it was well worth it to skip the long line. I am sure some tip less. I did have my $$ in my hand so he knew I was tipping (he did not know how much) - just in case that warranted some extra service. Never know!

EDIT: to the right of the GOLD (priority) LUGGAGE area.

We will be on the Gem in October for the Canada/New England cruise. Will we have to go through customs in NYC? We go to Halifax, Saint John, then Bar Harbor, Boston and Newport.

Everyone has to go thru customs when disembarking in NYC..

If you visit a Canadian (or any foreign) port you will visit customs on your first stop back in the US, which could be prior to disembarkation.

I did a FL/Bahamas cruise that stopped in Bahamas and then Port Canaveral (before going back to NY where we started)

Everyone had to clear customs while on the boat prior to anyone getting off in Florida. We then did not have to clear when we got back to NY as we had cleared in FL.

I've never gotten back to NY on time & there was always a problem disembarking. I think the earliest we were ever off was 10:00 am & we disembarked with the VIPs.

I know there have been a few occasions when the ship didn't even get back to port until close to 10 a.m. or after. (usually that's the ship coming in right before we board :o )

Maybe it's just my luck, but disembarkation in NY is the most disorganized compared to Miami & San Juan.

We have had mixed experiences

First time - We could not get off the ship until after 11am - over 90% of the passengers were from NY and had decided to self walk off with luggage - they were not allowed to use the escalators in the terminal building so all had to queue for the 1 lift. Our luggage was in the terminal and they decided to make all the ones that put the luggage out to wait behind the self walk offs - we were priority in a suite and it was 11.45 before we got to the cases - even after them stopping the self disembarks to let the suites off. (Gem)

2nd time - we had a relaxed breakfast and at 9am decided it was time to go and headed out, we were in the terminal to customs in 5 minutes. (Breakaway)

The porters have their own customs desks and walk you straight through showing a passport and everyone else lines up.

Archived