Is train a good option??

vtsunshine

Hello All

We are traveling on the up coming 7/31 Costa Magica, departing from Rome Civitavecchia. I was wondering if anyone knows how easy or difficult it is to take the train from rome to the port. The fees to take a car/taxi or even bus seem awfully insane to us, espically when we want to save money to enjoy excurions. However I have heard it is near impossible to catch a taxi from the train station to the ship b/c most taxi's want passangers to Rome. Is it difficult to walk, and is the walk marked?? I don't want to be lost wandering aimlessly around the port of Civitavecchia!!! :confused: Also does Costa always dock at the same location in Civitavecchia and if so does anyone know where that is?? Finally if our ship departs at 7pm what time would embarkation begin???

If anyone knows anything reguarding all of this please help!!!!

We have just returned from a Holland America cruise which disembarked at Cititavecchia. The docks appear to be in the middle of nowhere and most passengers booked a ship transfer to the airport (45 min) or to a central point in Rome (@ 1hour).

I had booked a private taxi/car service on the internet before we left and there were a few tense moments while we were waiting for our 20 minute late pick-up.

There was a free shuttle bus that appeared twice while we were waiting -- at about 20 minute intervals -- and it appeared that it would go to the train station. But I'm not sure. You can probably check with some detailed searches on the web.

There were also a few private taxis that were waiting, but no more than 3 or 4 at a time -- in contrast to many other ports that we have been to. No way can you walk out of the port!

My advice is just to make sure you have a plan before you go -- it is no place to be trying to figure it out when you disembark!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I just returned from Magica. Started in Civitavecchia 10/07/2005. We took train from Rome Termini to Civitavecchia. It is no problem to get there, since train departures are almost every half an hour. If it is possible - go with IC train - so you will have seats booked. If no - be early (buy 1 class) to have a seat. Sometimes may be a lot of people in the train. In Civitavecchia the only bad thing is that you must carry your lagguage from platforms (stairs and no lift), unless you are on platform 1. From the train station in Civitavecchia to the port gate is approx. 200 meters. From the port gate there is free shuttle bus to the ship every 15-20 minutes. You can also take a taxi from the train station directly to the ship

We did the Magica at the end of May embarking/disembarking out of Barcelona.

At Civitavecchia, we opted to take the train when visiting Rome. It was a great option, very reliable and inexpensive. We checked out the train times fully on the internet before taking the cruise so that we were prepared.

If you visit http://www.trenitalia.com you will find departure times from Rome Termini(Tutte Le stazioni) to Civitavecchia. The trains run approximately every 40 mins.

A first class fare is 9.30 Eur and 2nd class fare 6.97Eur (one way). You can book your tickets online or pay at the station.(We payed at the station).

The journey takes around 50mins depending upon which train you take.

It was easy and I would recommend it.

From Civitavecchia staion it is about a 10 minute walk to the port gates along the seafront where this is a free bus service to the pier.

Have a great time

Thank you all sooo much for your input!! It really put my mind at ease about our trip, only a few more days! We will definatly be taking the train, we live in Germany and we've found traveling by train throughout Europe to be fairly hassel free. I'm going to go and book tickets now:) Again, thanks so much to all of you, your assistance has been most helpful:D

theman1--

you said you boarded from Civitavecchia on Magica -- what time was boarding? I cannot decide whether to take the IC that arrives at 10:33am for fear of being too early & left with nothing to do (but possibly getting a good boarding #?!) -- or catch the one that arrives at 12:33pm a risk being too late and last on board?! Thanks so much for your help!!!

vtsunshine,

Boarding started at 13:30. I was in the port at 11:30. and get very good boarding number (on the ship around 14). After I get the number I went to Civitavecchia for short walk. There is a sand beach just outside the port - you can spend some time there. Have a good time!!

• 5 weeks later...

This is great information. We are leaving on th 30th and were planning to go by train due to the early departure of the airport transfer and the fact we would be closer to the Termini Station than the airport. With that said, our plan was to board late - without missing sail off- so that we can enjoy the time in Rome.

The ship leaves at 7pm - What is the LATEST time recommended to leave Rome towards the port

Thanks in advance!

Archived