Upgrade Offers

SpongeBob1996

We were paid a nice sum to switch from an oversold Navigator cruise in September to a late-October Mariner sailing. Cheapest Navigator standard cabin to the most expensive Mariner standard cabin. We were just offered a range upgrades on the Mariner. Settled on the upgrade to a Mariner Suite for just $500 more than what we were paid to switch. For us, the deal of the century. That's the best upgrade deal we've ever been offeered by a long shot.

Well, that sure is a double whammy! We paid three times that for an upgrade from Concierge to Mariner Suite in April. It was our first cruise ever, we were celebrating two special birthdays and I would probably do it again, even without the birthdays. It is a fantastic space, very conveniently located, loved the extra bathroom...his and hers. (Yes, I let him take a shower now and then!) And the private deck was just wonderful.

hondar, I think an upgrade on the Mariner to a Penthouse is a big deal! So much bigger than the regular cabins (which are so nice), the added space is a real bonus in my eyes, having been on this ship many many times! Congrats to you for your choice, (especially from the great price on an H) you will love it!

You are so correct! We love our cabin so much we don't want to leave! LOL!

Loved our in room dining last night served by Jeet, our incredible butler.

Enjoy every minute of it, Hondar!

Being a solo traveler, won't happen to me. I think those cabins are the best splurge at sea as I'd never reach

that! No need to. They can really draw you in, can't they? Continue to love your cruise, from a veteran, Mariner my favorite ship!

We have cruised a lot, especially on Oceania. We are going to be taking our first Regent cruise in a few weeks. We booked category H but received a comped upgrade to concierge. I don't really see the difference between the two cabin categories besides the higher deck and the "free" one night precruise hotel stay (which was sold out by the time we booked) and a few incidentals (5 percent off paid excursions, binoculars in cabin, etc). Everyone on our cruise gets unlimited internet. Our friends are in category H and have more benefits than we do (granted they took one other Regent cruise of 50 nights!).

Could anyone who books concierge cabins tell me what I am missing regarding benefits? We don't even board early. Our final docs state a 2 pm embarkation time for a 5 pm departure. I'm not complaining because, after all, it was a comped upgrade, I am just curious why people book and pay for this category.

You should be able to board by 12:00 and then enjoy lunch on the ship. Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks. After lunch we hope to get in our cabin and take a nap after a string of two overnight flights interspersed with a 10 hour layover and a 7 hour layover.

Do you think the cabins will be available by 2 pm? I guess a lot depends on how many B2B passengers they have onboard.

Sr. Citizen, don't over-estimate the perks you get on this "upgrade", other than the breaks on prices for whatever you do. Don't want you to be disappointed. I'm a Regent loyalist after many, many cruises, and nice to hear you are trying this out after having cruised many times on Oceania. I hope to try that line someday when the time and itinerary are right.

Indeed, there is no difference in the cabins unless you move to Penthouse, when the "space size" changes. To my knowledge, concierge does not allow an earlier entry into the cabins either. I normally board around 12, have lunch. The cabins are always ready by 2:30. You can almost always count on that, set your watch by it. Last cruise (in October) they were ready by 2:00. You will need a rest after the flight plan you just described! lol, it almost sounds like you are coming from South Africa or Australia!

However, you are going to have to deal with Muster Drill before the ship leaves the port. Nothing you can do about that. Almost hate to tell you this!

I hope you will report to us onboard, as you will have free internet!

Sr. Citizen, don't over-estimate the perks you get on this "upgrade", other than the breaks on prices for whatever you do. Don't want you to be disappointed. I'm a Regent loyalist after many, many cruises, and nice to hear you are trying this out after having cruised many times on Oceania. I hope to try that line someday when the time and itinerary are right.

Indeed, there is no difference in the cabins unless you move to Penthouse, when the "space size" changes. To my knowledge, concierge does not allow an earlier entry into the cabins either. I normally board around 12, have lunch. The cabins are always ready by 2:30. You can almost always count on that, set your watch by it. Last cruise (in October) they were ready by 2:00. You will need a rest after the flight plan you just described! lol, it almost sounds like you are coming from South Africa or Australia!

However, you are going to have to deal with Muster Drill before the ship leaves the port. Nothing you can do about that. Almost hate to tell you this!

I hope you will report to us onboard, as you will have free internet!

Would you believe we are coming from the West Coast USA!! We're using miles and start our trip the Sunday after Thanksgiving. We had to petition the airline's revenue dept. to open up two award seats. We were doing this last month and all the award seats were long gone. In London, we are transferring to Qatar Air because the taxes were something like $30 vs British Air's taxes which were hundreds of dollars.

I expect muster to take place around 4 pm because that's when Oceania's takes place and they are under the same top management. I think we have a Meet and Greet at 7 pm! I didn't book an excursion for the next day because I'm sure we will be exhausted by then. It'll also give us time to get to know the ship.

We're really looking forward to this cruise!!

5:15 Muster--all gather in the theater! Penthouse suites seem to have better shipboard locations and of course you have the butler. You either use him--or not. We find that for little extras and hints that he gives it's worth it.

We had free internet after the first 10 day cruise. Don't know why and certainly haven't questioned it!

The last two trips we have boarded the ship after their drydock hiatus. Boarded a little later--certainly not an inconvenience.

We got upgraded from a G to a D but since we did not pay for it, none of the additional perks applied. The location on the ship however, was much better.

I'm not sure which category we started in because when I contacted my TA, she said for the lowest advertised price Regent would upgrade us to D concierge. This was only 1.5 months prior to the sailing and I think the ship's not full, thus the offer. We were told that when we paid in full, all the benefits of concierge class would be applied.

At the time of payment, a Regent rep told our TA that the free one-night concierge benefit was capacity controlled and full. A week or so later, after I made all the air arrangements to fly in the day of departure, I received a doc that included the one night stay at the JW Marriott. When I questioned my TA, she was surprised because that went contrary to what she was told. After a couple of weeks going back and forth with various supervisors, Regent verified that the error was theirs in not informing us of the hotel stay. So, they credited us with the $300 for the hotel. After all, my TA says, nothing is "free" and the cost of the hotel is built into the cabin cost (like their "free" air).

Another concierge benefit is 5 percent off paid excursions. Regent said it was applied, but it wasn't---so I can take that up once onboard. It's not much but you have to wonder about their computer program since the reps said the computer automatically applies all special pricing based on the category booked. When we were considering this cruise, I downloaded all their tours along with descriptions and pricing and the price I see on those printouts is the exact amount on my paid invoice. So, methinks the computer goofed.

Bottom line, if you are upgraded or you pay for an upsell, you are entitled to all the benefits of the category. This is true of any ship, plane or hotel upgrade that you might be fortunate to get.

Just offered upsell for 12/8 Rio to Buenos Aires. Penthouse for $650pp and Horizon View @ $700pp. We are booked in H GTY. Also says not eligible for Concierge Level Amenities. Think we'll stay put and see what happens.

While you wouldn't get the concierge level amenities (free hotel night precruise, 5 percent off paid excursions,etc.), you would get the penthouse amenities, correct? Butler, canapés, etc. and a much larger cabin. How long is your cruise?

It seems that the subject of upsells has gone viral. I'm posting to suggest that some research be done before jumping into an upsell.

On the Voyager, an upsell to a Concierge "E" suite gives you the same suite that you had - maybe in a better position. An upsell to a Category "C" Penthouse is an aft suite that may have vibration and/or noise issues. The suite itself is 15 sq. ft. larger than a lower category suite. Decide if this is for you.

On the Navigator, you need to upsell to a Navigator Suite before get any more room. Penthouse suites are the same size as lower category suites. There is also the aft vibration issue.

The Mariner is a different story. An upsell to a Penthouse Suite gives you a considerably larger suite. On the other hand, the regular suites on the Mariner are smaller than either the Navigator or the Voyager. There is no aft vibration issue on the Mariner.

I strongly suggest that you study the deck plan for the ship you will be sailing on. Look above and below the suite -- is there a lounge that will be playing music? Is it under the pool or restaurant where you will hear scraping of chairs beginning early in the morning? Forward suites feel the "motion of the ocean" much more than mid-ship suites. Forward and high deck feels the sea even more.

Decide how much you are willing to pay for the upsell. As has been said repeatedly....... book the suite that you will be happy sailing in. IF an upsell offer comes up, make sure it is in a position that works for you and that you feel it is worth it. JMHO.:)

Looking to book our first Regent cruise , have cruised with Seabourn previously.

All this upsell is new , having looked at availability on many cruises , the lowest category H Suites always seem to be on wait list .

Is this because they are popular or are people hoping for upsell offers .

Also as these suites are aft is there vibration and noise issues , noticed comment that this occurs on the Navigator but not on the Mariner (does this also include Voyager ) is this because Navigator is smaller .

If you book category H or G early , are you able to upgrade later .

Looking to book our first Regent cruise , have cruised with Seabourn previously.

All this upsell is new , having looked at availability on many cruises , the lowest category H Suites always seem to be on wait list .

Is this because they are popular or are people hoping for upsell offers .

Also as these suites are aft is there vibration and noise issues , noticed comment that this occurs on the Navigator but not on the Mariner (does this also include Voyager ) is this because Navigator is smaller.

If you book category H or G early , are you able to upgrade later .

Sorry -- should have mentioned that the Voyager also has vibration issues. In calm waters it is barely noticeable. It bothers some people but not others. The Navigator vibration has been worked on several times. While it has been corrected somewhat, there is still a vibration (not due to size -- the hull of the Navigator was not meant to be a hull on a passenger cruise ship). The story on the Voyager is that it hit a rock shortly after being built and it was left with a vibration that is not fixable (no clue if this is true:-) We generally avoid aft suites on both the Navigator and the Voyager.

IMO, booking the lowest category in hopes of an upsell is not a smart thing to do. The odds of getting an upsell offer is small -- most passengers end up in the same category they booked. Also, upsell offers generally do not come through until 3-4 weeks prior to the cruise. At that time it would be difficult, if not impossible to upgrade to another category. If you look at the upsell offers that are being talked about this week, they are for December, 2013 sailings.

I believe that category H suites book quickly because they are the same size as category G, F and E on the Voyager and Mariner so why pay more money for the same suite? One answer would be that higher categories are in better position. The lowest category on the Navigator does not have a balcony but the suite size is the same as most other categories (exception is Navigator Suite, Grand Suite and Master Suite -- all of which are larger).

Again, suggest that you book the category that you will be happy with.

While you wouldn't get the concierge level amenities (free hotel night precruise, 5 percent off paid excursions,etc.), you would get the penthouse amenities, correct? Butler, canapés, etc. and a much larger cabin. How long is your cruise?

It's 12 nights and port intensive. Butler is not worth $100 a day to us. Although we've never sailed on Regent before, we have sailed Azamara and there was enough "junk" all over the ship to satisfy any cravings we had after a day in port.

It's 12 nights and port intensive. Butler is not worth $100 a day to us. Although we've never sailed on Regent before, we have sailed Azamara and there was enough "junk" all over the ship to satisfy any cravings we had after a day in port.

It was worth every thin dime for us when the butler served dinner in the cabin after a long day ashore. Took the order, brought a drink, brought appetizer and salads and then came back with our entree. Port intensive made it much more valuable. Dinner at the dining table in the room--jammies and bedroom slippers--PRICELESS!

Debi

Agree with debijaynes -- having a butler on Regent is a special treat! Sometimes we just do not want to shower and dress after returning from an excursion. Room service is fine but the butler makes it a bit better. When we first started cruising on Regent, we had no desire for a butler....... until we had one. Just like sailing on Regent, butlers can be addicting:)

We have traveled on Regent extensively (almost Platinum), yet have never been offered an upgrade/upsell - we usually travel in "F" category. Does anyone know how it is determined who is offered an upgrade? I understand if the ship is full, there will be no upgrade, but we have been on cruises which have not sold out (i.e. 75% occupancy) and when I checked two weeks before boarding, there was sill space available in the premium cabins, yet no offers ever have come our way.

gnomie :)

I agree with debijaynes and travelcat2, we didn't think we would like a butler, too invasive, etc., until we had one. The butler quickly learns your habits and acts accordingly. We loved Bish who was our butler on our SA trip in Jan. He cleaned our shoes after we were out in the jungle on tour, helped with wine selection for DH's birthday, just all around sweet guy.

We have traveled on Regent extensively (almost Platinum), yet have never been offered an upgrade/upsell - we usually travel in "F" category. Does anyone know how it is determined who is offered an upgrade? I understand if the ship is full, there will be no upgrade, but we have been on cruises which have not sold out (i.e. 75% occupancy) and when I checked two weeks before boarding, there was sill space available in the premium cabins, yet no offers ever have come our way.

gnomie :)

Generally TA's are notified of upsells and they contact their clients. If you book directly with Regent, they will notify you (however, if you book directly with Regent you may be missing benefits that are provided by TA's). Your TA needs to really be on top of things in order to look out for the upsell so they can notify their clients the same day. Upgrades can happen if you book a "Guarantee". Each cruise is different and Regent decides if and when they will offer an upgrade. Good luck:)

TC - You make excellent points that would be particularly helpful to "newbies" just coming onto CC - one of your long stated goals. It took me many months on CC (as well as a couple of cruises under my belt) before I read enough posts, listened to enough opinions, and understood some of these considerations before I was able to make what I thought would be an informed decision and pesonal evaluation of relative worth of the offered "upsell" compared to the extra money that was being asked for that upsell.

For us on our last Voyager cruise - taking an upsell offer from our (original) G suite to the Master Suite? That was a "no-brainer"! :D But I don't believe I'd ever pay extra to go from a Cat G to a Cat C. Regards.

TC - You make excellent points that would be particularly helpful to "newbies" just coming onto CC - one of your long stated goals. It took me many months on CC (as well as a couple of cruises under my belt) before I read enough posts, listened to enough opinions, and understood some of these considerations before I was able to make what I thought would be an informed decision and pesonal evaluation of relative worth of the offered "upsell" compared to the extra money that was being asked for that upsell.

For us on our last Voyager cruise - taking an upsell offer from our (original) G suite to the Master Suite? That was a "no-brainer"! :D But I don't believe I'd ever pay extra to go from a Cat G to a Cat C. Regards.

Thank you for the kind words! If I were on the Mariner, I would take an upsell from a Cat. "G" to a Cat. "C" because the penthouse suites on the Mariner are a good size. Of course, there is nothing better than the upsell you received. Was your Master Suite on deck 7 or 11? Just curious since they are quite different. My DH loves deck 7 and I love deck 11. Actually, an upsell to either is great!

Want to make a correction to a previous post on this page. I said that the Mariner and Voyager suites (lower categories) are the same size. Actually, the Voyager and Navigator are the same size -- the Mariner regular suites are smaller.

Hope you are considering another Regent cruise in the future.