A question for Eurocruiser or Hitner

dogs4fun

Forgive my inability to recall but ...

Awhile ago either eurocruiser or Hitner posted regarding taking gondola lessons in Venice. It looked fun & as we are getting ready to depart for Venice in a few weeks, I would like to book.

I cannot find the link that I thought I had saved.

Help, please. :)

Many thanks!

Hey stranger!

Off to Venice now, WOW! You don't stay still very long, do you! :D

Saw your post and I wanted to share Terry's post from a while back that I had saved on the gondola lessons. Not sure if it is the same place you are looking for but thought I would offer up the info just in case.

Let's catch up soon! Take care! :)

From the Wall Street Journal this weekend, they have this headline: "Row, Row, Row Your Gondola" with these highlights: "Learn to paddle Venetian-style, and go from ordinary tourist to upholder of a centuries-old tradition. Perhaps nothing symbolizes Venice more than the slender black boats that ply its waterways and the gondoliers who propel them. While a gondola ride does involve being floated through narrow canals, past ancient palazzos and under historic bridges, it is also a thoroughly clichéd activity that inevitably includes a gondolier gabbing on his cellphone and periodic traffic jams with other tourist-laden boats. But there is a way to experience Venice's waterways without the tourist trappings: Become your own gondolier, by taking lessons in Venetian rowing. "

Not everyone can get to this WSJ website, but it has lots of interesting details on the skills and background to do the work with a gondola. There is also a slide show with different pictures during the learning experience and about these gondolas. The article also notes: "The local style of rowing involves standing and facing the direction the boat is moving (especially useful for tight channels) and differs from punting in that the paddle does not touch bottom. Because this type of rowing is seen as particular to Venice, it has great meaning there. An old saying has it that standing and seeing where you are going is the rowing of free men, while paddling seated and going backward is the lot of slaves."

here are details on how to arrange such lessons as a unique and difference experience for this city. If you've been to Venice previously and looking for something different, this might be an option.

Here are two website links for added details on such lessons:

www.old.canottieriquerini.it

www.rowvenice.com

Full story at:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...le_Lifestyle_6

Anybody interested in this option or done it?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Hey ... backatcha!! I never did hear how your cruise of the Baltics went. Yes, we must catch-up soon. :)

Thanks for the link ... I saw that particular one online along with several others.

I am looking for the one that either eurocruiser or Hitner booked ... that way I know that someone whose posts I trust has experienced using the company. I can neither remember which of the 2 members posted nor can I find the link. Senior moment. :confused:

Archived