MDR food quality

anandaindonesia

I rate NCL 2.5* Holiday inn express level not up to a 3* Hilton/Sheraton experience. No way even close to any 4* I have been too.

I must have been very lucky every time I have eaten at an MDR on NCL. I have found the food to be very good, and can't believe some of the comparisons being brought up.

I went back and re-read all the posts in this thread, and no where did I see anyone say they expected 5 star food. In fact, of the many threads on MDR dining, I don't recall ever seeing someone say they expected 5 star level food in the MDR on NCL.

To lump everyone who has an unfavorable opinion of NCL MDR food into that category is not fair.

People should be able to express an opinion about the MDR food without being referred to as having unrealistic expectations.

Of all your cruises , dont you think you may be just a little bias ?

Whats your opinion of the MDR on , lets say , Princess ..

meant in the light tone its intended ..

Of all your cruises , dont you think you may be just a little bias ?

Whats your opinion of the MDR on , lets say , Princess ..

meant in the light tone its intended ..

No, I don't think I have a bias. I do, however, have an opinion based on my experiences. I've sailed on three different cruise lines in the past three years, and don't have a bias for or against any of them. They all have their strengths and weaknesses.

As I stated in an earlier post on this thread, of the lines I have sailed, the MDR food on NCL is my least favorite. Full disclosure, don't remember too much about Carnival since it was so long ago.

With respect to Princess, I really enjoy their Italian offerings, and think they do a good job of things in the MDR.

I would definitely sail NCL again if the timing and itinerary were right. I probably would just spend more time in the speciality restaurants than the MDR.

Are you familiar with NCL hiring requirements ? They will not consider an application for servers unless they have experience in a 3 star or better hotel.

???????:confused:

Haha, that's a joke right? Assuming it's true, which is a big assumption, I have encountered many servers on NCL that could barely find their elbow with both hands. If you are really trying to tell me that the servers on NCL are all very experienced and do an excellent job you really need to shovel that load somewhere else because I am not buying it.

Haha, that's a joke right? Assuming it's true, which is a big assumption, I have encountered many servers on NCL that could barely find their elbow with both hands. If you are really trying to tell me that the servers on NCL are all very experienced and do an excellent job you really need to shovel that load somewhere else because I am not buying it.

I have to agree but not quite as strongly that not all servers are experienced.

But I have yet to encounter an NCL waiter who was not friendly and did their best to provide good service. :)

Overall, I've been happy with the food in the MDRs. A few misses and several hits.

Will be sailing on the Breakaway in 12 days. This will be my 5th cruise with NCL in the past three years. I am a foodie.

From my personal experiences in the MDR's, comparing them to an Applebee's or Olive Garden or any chain for that matter, is outrageous. The presentation and quality of food is leagues above what will be found in a chain restaurant. What chain offers you oxtail soup, beef Wellington, escargot, English cut steak, etc. I have ordered each at an NCL MDR. I have never been dissatisfied after eating a meal in an MDR. Here are some pictures of the yummyness that can be had.[ATTACH]287598[/ATTACH][ATTACH]287599[/ATTACH][ATTACH]287600[/ATTACH][ATTACH]287601[/ATTACH]

Something smells fishy here. :rolleyes: "escargot, English cut steak" ... You do realize that LeBistro and Cagney's are not MDR's, right?

I must have been very lucky every time I have eaten at an MDR on NCL. I have found the food to be very good, and can't believe some of the comparisons being brought up.

We're in agreement. Three cruises behind us and only one bad meal, which was rectified immediately. We have not eaten in a specialty restaurant yet, as we eat out a lot and have all the options of Japanese, Brazilian, Asian etc. available to us whenever we want.

I like the MDR but then again I prove the point that you can't please all diners as we all have different tastes. I would never choose a cruise on the food, but then again I don't think us Aussie people are such foodies. We have just arrived in the US and we always struggle to find food we like to eat here. Definitely quantity over quality. Add a kilo of sugar, cream or fat to any dish and your getting close to what we've been served so far. For us it's always a relief to cruise and eat MDR food! The only specialty I bother with is Le Bistro. I love the desserts in the MDR as I'm happy with the cheese cake, ice cream and apple pie. Also I like other choices not on the daily menu, but the side that changes- pecan pie, key lime etc. PS I feel a fussy eater here as I'm always saying can I have it without......, but I do love the cuisine when I visit Europe, particularly Italy and France, I'm not from a European background. I've also been frequently asked, 'do you work out gal?' My answer- no, I never work out. We just don't eat so much.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Stop spouting facts , it kills the giggly subjectiveness of the thread :D

Now if an NCL waiter quit and was hired on at Chez Paul in Chicago . Im guessing their perceived service would somehow miraculously be considered Top shelf. ;)

just a guess.

you and Swedish are making my morning fun. Keep it up; I totally agree with both of you.

No, I don't think I have a bias. I do, however, have an opinion based on my experiences. I've sailed on three different cruise lines in the past three years, and don't have a bias for or against any of them. They all have their strengths and weaknesses.

As I stated in an earlier post on this thread, of the lines I have sailed, the MDR food on NCL is my least favorite. Full disclosure, don't remember too much about Carnival since it was so long ago.

With respect to Princess, I really enjoy their Italian offerings, and think they do a good job of things in the MDR.

I would definitely sail NCL again if the timing and itinerary were right. I probably would just spend more time in the speciality restaurants than the MDR.

This is the perfect example of subjectivity: Both our Princess cruises have bee a little disappointing when it came to dining in the MDR, especially our 12 day Canada/New England 2 years ago. The food was bland, never served warm, breakfast was always messed up, like getting our toast after we were through with breakfast. Even the alternative dining rooms had gone down hill. So, I would probably rate them the worst of the lines we have cruised and we have over 25 cruises under our belt, with all mass marketed lines. I will add, our first princess cruise the sea food selection was outstanding, Too bad the last one couldn't compare.

How many NCL cruises have you been on and how many times have you really eaten in the MDRs? I am guessing, not many. I say this for a couple of reasons, one being, what you are saying is totally untrue. You may not like the food, food is subjective, we all know that. No one is claiming the food is high end in the MDRs. And yes, sometimes the service is slow, sometimes not, but the wait staff is very well trained and most have been with NCL for years.. Have you ever taken the time to ask your waiter where he/she is from, how long they have been with NCL or any other questions?

Something smells fishy here. :rolleyes: "escargot, English cut steak" ... You do realize that LeBistro and Cagney's are not MDR's, right?

I am not sure about the escargot, I don't think I have had it in a MDR on any ship for a few years, but then, it might have been served the nights we have chosen a specialty dining room, but English cut steak, yes, I have seen it, as well as the rest he mentions. maybe you have just not spotted those items on the menu.

I am not sure about the escargot, I don't think I have had it in a MDR on any ship for a few years, but then, it might have been served the nights we have chosen a specialty dining room, but English cut steak, yes, I have seen it, as well as the rest he mentions. maybe you have just not spotted those items on the menu.

Thanks for the back-up. I am a major foodie, I choose to cruise because of the food. The past poster made me seem like I'm an idiot. I can't remember people's names, phone numbers, places I have been..but. I remember everything I have eaten and where I have eaten it at lol

Thanks for the back-up. I am a major foodie, I choose to cruise because of the food. The past poster made me seem like I'm an idiot. I can't remember people's names, phone numbers, places I have been..but. I remember everything I have eaten and where I have eaten it at lol

You have another "back up" here. I have over forty cruises on NCL under my belt and another two booked in a couple of months.

I don't accept anybody's opinion of food or service. I rely on my own experiences, and see that some of the posts here are from those who repeat what they hear instead of their own experience.

BTW -- I was NOT joking about the experience required by NCL for their hiring of waitstaff. The comment was made by one who doesn't know nor doesn't present facts.

Darn :(. I can't believe I missed escargot in the MDR on my last two NCL cruises. I look at the menus every day, deciding whether to eat in the MDR or a speciality restaurant. I guess I must have missed it both times on the menu. Do they usually only serve it one time per cruise, or multiple?

Darn :(. I can't believe I missed escargot in the MDR on my last two NCL cruises. I look at the menus every day, deciding whether to eat in the MDR or a speciality restaurant. I guess I must have missed it both times on the menu. Do they usually only serve it one time per cruise, or multiple?

I personally have not seen Escargot on the MDR menu of an NCL ship in years. :(

This is the perfect example of subjectivity: Both our Princess cruises have bee a little disappointing when it came to dining in the MDR, especially our 12 day Canada/New England 2 years ago. The food was bland, never served warm, breakfast was always messed up, like getting our toast after we were through with breakfast. Even the alternative dining rooms had gone down hill. So, I would probably rate them the worst of the lines we have cruised and we have over 25 cruises under our belt, with all mass marketed lines. I will add, our first princess cruise the sea food selection was outstanding, Too bad the last one couldn't compare.

Agree that food is subjective. I think some of it could be the executive chef onboard a particular ship. That was speculated on another board. Although the cruise lines strive for consistency across the fleet, variation is bound to occur. For instance, on my Jade Canary Islands cruise, I found the MDR food to be better than what we had on our Star Baltic cruise this year. The Jade food was still not my favorite when compared to other lines, but it seemed better than the Star.

I am sorry to hear of your negative Princess experience. It's been over 2 years since I've sailed with them, but I've got a FCC to use by 2015. I'll keep my fingers crossed for good MDR food.

Just got back from a Gem cruise to Canada/New England last Saturday. Overall quality in the MDR has dropped since our last ncl cruise a couple of years ago.

Party of four ate in the MDR for dinner on four nights...

Greens in the salad were not fresh and crisp.

Soups were average

Appetizers were average

Entrees were hit and miss from very good to below average.

Steak and Lobster was very good.

Latin steak was below average.

Blackened Swordfish and gumbo was very good

Prime rib was below average.

Desserts were below average. Had banana cream pie and crust in the bottom was so hard you couldn't cut it with a fork. Apple pie another night was poor.

BTW, our party ate in Le bristo one night and our entire meal was excellent..

Just got back from a Gem cruise to Canada/New England last Saturday. Overall quality in the MDR has dropped since our last ncl cruise a couple of years ago.

Party of four ate in the MDR for dinner on four nights...

Greens in the salad were not fresh and crisp.

Soups were average

Appetizers were average

Entrees were hit and miss from very good to below average.

Steak and Lobster was very good.

Latin steak was below average.

Blackened Swordfish and gumbo was very good

Prime rib was below average.

Desserts were below average. Had banana cream pie and crust in the bottom was so hard you couldn't cut it with a fork. Apple pie another night was poor.

BTW, our party ate in Le bristo one night and our entire meal was excellent..

I agree with Jack, the first night steak and lobster was great!

Archived