Curious.. Piano bar tipping

pmang

We found it totally tacky and it really turned us off to Howl at the Moon. Every 5 minutes the woman brought up $5 this and $5 that. Aren't they paid to perform? It's one thing to have a tip jar sitting on the piano but to make a big deal of it and mention it before and after every single song is overboard. I felt like I was on the subway with the guy saying over and over "hey lady, give me money"

We found it totally tacky and it really turned us off to Howl at the Moon. Every 5 minutes the woman brought up $5 this and $5 that. Aren't they paid to perform? It's one thing to have a tip jar sitting on the piano but to make a big deal of it and mention it before and after every single song is overboard. I felt like I was on the subway with the guy saying over and over "hey lady, give me money"

My feelings too when I saw it on Breakaway.

Piano bar is a favorite evening ender for us. But I've never tipped "per song request". I do tip if the person is really good and engages the audience but always when we leave -then $10 or so. If they are good enough to bring us back every night they will also be astute enough to notice and remember the prior tips so song requests are basically paid in advance.

Curious to know where the piano bar would be on Star. I'm not seeing anything obvious on the deck plans.

In case you were wondering, for those that haven't been to land-based Howl at the Moon venues, this agressive tipping strategy is what they do and how they manage a gazillion requests to their benefit. The "competition tipping" (e.g., "this guy gave me $20 to play the Navy's song...what do you Army guys think about that?") is brilliant for them, frankly. I don't mind, as they've always seemed to work their butts off for tips. More so than your quiet piano bar.

I was in an awkward scenario at LaFitte's in New Orleans when I was younger. I was with a group of friends who wanted to sit around the piano. It was my last night of travels, and was low on cash. I spent my last cash of the night on a drinks and the piano player asked me what I wanted to hear. I hadn't PLANNED on making a request, but he specifically asked me. I came up with something, but was then moritified that I didn't have cash left to tip him. Note to self: Never again go to a piano bar short on cash.

Curious to know where the piano bar would be on Star. I'm not seeing anything obvious on the deck plans.

It's the Star Bar martini lounge.

Depending on the entertainers, there may also be a piano in the atrium bar (Java Cafe). Not the experience you are probably looking for, though.

Tacky was part of the fun! Those who have fun should DEFINITELY hit up Howl at the Moon! Those who don't have fun, don't ruin it for the rest of us.

Tacky was part of the fun! Those who have fun should DEFINITELY hit up Howl at the Moon! Those who don't have fun, don't ruin it for the rest of us.

I can understand some people may just be unprepared for this type of venue and if they've never been to a Howl or similar on land. May lead to people thinking "this is another NCL scheme to nickle and dime us." I'm THRILLED this option is on the new NCL ships and it's a big part of the reason we booked the Getaway for 2014.

If you make a "request" at a piano bar anywhere land or sea . Its customary to tip for "your request". Has been this way for 300 years when Bartolomeo Cristofori turned a harpsichord into a piano and made a living playing cafe'.

History lesson over :D

But to be fair , I dont tip anyone who asks me for a tip . Unless its on a horse.

If you make a "request" at a piano bar anywhere land or sea . Its customary to tip for "your request". Has been this way for 300 years when Bartolomeo Cristofori turned a harpsichord into a piano and made a living playing cafe'.

But to be fair , I dont tip anyone who asks me for a tip . Unless its on a horse.

Well I have never come across this custom anywhere in the UK Europe Australia or New Zeland.

I tip when I request a song, which I rarely do. I just enjoy the musicianship and fun environment.

The one time I DID request a song was many years ago at a dueling piano bar in Dallas' West End. It was back when Top Gun was popular, and "you've lost that lovin feeling" was a way to embarras your friends. We tipped $5 and said "we think Joel has lost that lovin feeling", at which point they got him up on stage and the entire bar sang at him. It was fun. :) Not sure if this is still a "thing" at piano bars or not.

For those of you have not seen what I mean...

I do admit though (was on the same cruise as Medtech) it was exteme compared to the Epic. When I was on the epic they did not ask for tips and as a result probably got more for being less agressive. I budgeted $6-$7 for them for the week, given I rarely drink I just viewed it as the price of getting up on stage.

However, at Fat Cats they don't take tips but on occassion take requests

No matter where I have travelled - land or sea - when I go into a bar that offers entertainment that is tailored to the audience (vs a "concert") - just like any other personalized service - a tip is warranted.

Why would you NOT want to tip a musician in a bar? If you go to a hotel for a week , sit in their piano bar - would you not tip?

The fact that you are in a floating hotel should not make a difference.

Musicians in bars are not making a fortune - if you enjoy their music and especially if they play a request - TIP THEM!

I agree. Yet as much as I enjoy piano bars, excessive references to the Love Jug do get out of hand.

Archived