Best dream cabins outside plus advice please

Well yesterday my sister surprised me and has booked up Caribbean charms/Tropical treasures so they will now be joining us on dream in February. Now this will be an important holiday for us as our beloved Dad passed away in May aged 92 and for a few years we have avoided being on holiday at the same time just in case he needed help. We have also spent most of this year with him after he had a stroke at new year and we have both been devastated by our loss so this cruise together is a gift from him so we can get our relationship back to where it was. Anyway we need your help with recommending a couple of cabin numbers reasonably close together. We have booked decks 5/6 outside plus. They have never cruised before where as we have been 8 times once on dream we need midships preferably deck 6. Thanks all

Shirley

Well yesterday my sister surprised me and has booked up Caribbean charms/Tropical treasures so they will now be joining us on dream in February. Now this will be an important holiday for us as our beloved Dad passed away in May aged 92 and for a few years we have avoided being on holiday at the same time just in case he needed help. We have also spent most of this year with him after he had a stroke at new year and we have both been devastated by our loss so this cruise together is a gift from him so we can get our relationship back to where it was. Anyway we need your help with recommending a couple of cabin numbers reasonably close together. We have booked decks 5/6 outside plus. They have never cruised before where as we have been 8 times once on dream we need midships preferably deck 6. Thanks all

Shirley

Sorry can't help with cabin advice Shirley but just wanted to say how lovely for you and your sister - after a sad and emotional year for you both it will be so good to have that quality time together. You both have wonderful memories of your Dad I'm sure and I hope your holiday adds to the bank of special family times you both share. My very best wishes for a great cruise that lives up to everything you deserve after your devotion to your Dad. :):)

all of the o/s plus cabins on dream deck 5 or 6 are pretty much the same..... the ones near the stern (before the standard o/s opposite that white space) can suffer some vibration when the ship is sailing

midship cabins between the 2 middle stairwells are the ones with the bigger windows (in the stretched bit) but there have been reports of rattles in cabins in this area (possibly due to the stretching)

I believe most of deck 5/6 have had refurbished bathrooms (cant be 100% on all of them tho)

hope ths helps

We were on Dream recently and had cabin 5075 - slightly off centre but it was lovely and quiet. We had chosen mid-ship as we were on Celebration last year and never got any sleep,we were at the front and heard every sound from the anchor etc.

The room was as expected from the brochure - very clean and felt spacious. The bed was very comfortable, the carpet appeared to be new and the bathroom was okay although it wasn't brand new. The only minor point is that the wardrobe had a shelf near the bottom so any long dresses were crumpled at the bottom!

Hope you have a lovely holiday as we did.:)

We were on Dream recently and had cabin 5075 - slightly off centre but it was lovely and quiet. We had chosen mid-ship as we were on Celebration last year and never got any sleep,we were at the front and heard every sound from the anchor etc.

The room was as expected from the brochure - very clean and felt spacious. The bed was very comfortable, the carpet appeared to be new and the bathroom was okay although it wasn't brand new. The only minor point is that the wardrobe had a shelf near the bottom so any long dresses were crumpled at the bottom!

Hope you have a lovely holiday as we did.:)

Yes I found this too dronnygirl but then discovered the hanging space behind the door was full length so hung my long dresses there. Ours was a standard inside double so perhaps they don't have that arrangement in the o/s plus (it was the area they used to have a curtain hanging - it looks better without) but we found that extra space useful.

Aah thanks kruzseeka that's a lovely thing for you to say our relationship has been a bit strained due to the different ways that we dealt with the grief she just wanted to throw evrything out and really went into the house far too soon in my opinion and I wanted it to stay his home for a while longer so I could just sit in there talking to him and grieve but everyone is different and I know she misses him as much as I do so we are getting back to where we were but the cruise should help. We are about to exchange contracts on the house so that should help us move on. You are very kind.

Hi Shirley,

Sorry to hear about your Dad. I lost my Mum in 2005, and as she was 96, people said "Well she had a good long life" Yes I know, but she was my Mum and although I know she couldn't live for ever, I still miss her. She had a sheltered flat which she rented and so we had to clear it out quite quickly, to avoid paying more rent to Anchor Housing who, quite frankly, had had enough money out of her over the years, but we all mucked in one Saturday and managed to clear lots of stuf, but it still took my brother and me a while to clear it all, not a nice job, you feel you are throwing away people's memories. I remember the first time I went in after she died and it was just as she left it when they took her to hospital - horrible - I just burst into tears.

I hope you and your sister have a really good holiday and manage to be good friends again :)

I can't help with deck 5 or 6 as we have only stayed on deck 7, but last time we had 7003, right, at the front, a huge cabin, even though it was just an outside one, but the noise every morning as we docked was awful, bow thrusters I assume, it woke us up every time between 5 and 6am :eek:

Have you looked at Sailaway's cabin reviews?

Info, we stayed on deck 5 midship O/S+ and the cabin was very quiet, no issues at all. It did have the light wood furniture though and I think this is better than the dark on higher floors.

Sorry to hear about your Dad, but the fact that you and your sister are going away together means you don't have far to go to get your lives back on track.

Take care,

V.

Its very sad about your Dad, and differences with your sister. It was after my Mum died that me & my sister did our very first cruise together on what would have been the anniversary of her death. She was very well remembered that night after a few cocktails in High Spirits!:D It gave me the cruising bug and have been on several since, sometimes with my sister, sometimes we let our husbands come too!:)

Can't help you with choice of cabin I'm afraid as going on the Dream for the first time in January. We've got a 5/6 outside plus too but havn't thought of booking a particular cabin, after the comments about noisy anchors maybe we should. 6 oclock in the morning is a bit early to be woken for me but my OH is quite often up that early with a few hardy souls 'helping' the captain bring the boat in.

Re the noisy anchors, cabin 6054 which I mentioned above was the furthest forward outside plus cabin and we never heard the anchor. This year we were in 6023 (an outside but not a plus) and we did hear the thrusters every morning but it was not a problem.

Its very sad about your Dad, and differences with your sister. It was after my Mum died that me & my sister did our very first cruise together on what would have been the anniversary of her death. She was very well remembered that night after a few cocktails in High Spirits!:D It gave me the cruising bug and have been on several since, sometimes with my sister, sometimes we let our husbands come too!:)

Can't help you with choice of cabin I'm afraid as going on the Dream for the first time in January. We've got a 5/6 outside plus too but havn't thought of booking a particular cabin, after the comments about noisy anchors maybe we should. 6 oclock in the morning is a bit early to be woken for me but my OH is quite often up that early with a few hardy souls 'helping' the captain bring the boat in.

Hi Mower Lady

Whilst it goes against the grain to pay extra we always book a cabin - I'm not bothered about a particular one but do make a positive choice regarding selecting general areas to try to avoid potentially noisy/problem ones. Set against the price we pay for our cruise for two of us for a week or perhaps two it doesn't seem a lot to try to improve your chances of getting a quiet cabin.

Re the noisy anchors, cabin 6054 which I mentioned above was the furthest forward outside plus cabin and we never heard the anchor. This year we were in 6023 (an outside but not a plus) and we did hear the thrusters every morning but it was not a problem.

We are in 6025 and next door in 6031 in February. You say the noise is not a problem but is it loud enough to wake you up or should you be awake at that time? :rolleyes: lol. Apart from the anchors, is it a good position to be in?

We are in 6025 and next door in 6031 in February. You say the noise is not a problem but is it loud enough to wake you up or should you be awake at that time? :rolleyes: lol. Apart from the anchors, is it a good position to be in?

I was going to say we were on deck 6 and never heard anchors, but then realised I wouldn't as I was always outside watching the ship enter the next port.:)

Hi Jakanne, the thrusters did wake us most morning but it was not always at 6am, thank goodness. We just rolled over and went back to sleep! We have been in 6022 and 6023 and found this a good location as the corridor does not lead to anywhere so there is no through traffic. It is handy for lifts and destination services.

they hardly ever use the anchors (only when at a tender port)

Are anchors and thrusters working together to make the noise? Sorry, don't know what a thruster is. Thought it was some kind of brake to slow the ship down. I don't think we have many tender ports so shouldn't be a problem.

Sorry Jackie, don't know how the bowthrusters work :o just know they are very noisy if you are in the front cabin. We don't get up early on holiday :eek: I don't think I have ever seen a sail in (except Venice) unless it was later in the day :o:D

We have always booked a cabin, just to be on the safe side and after hearing tales of juddery cabins at the back, thought the front would be OK :rolleyes:

Good old google. :)

A bow thruster or stern thruster is a transversal propulsion device built into, or mounted to, either the bow or stern, of a ship or boat, to make it more maneuverable. Bow thrusters make docking easier, since they allow the captain to turn the vessel to port or starboard side, without using the main propulsion mechanism which requires some forward motion for turning.

Archived