flight only insurance?

sjmbruce

If you miss your cruise, Princess insurance will cover that, under their "cancel for any reason" coverage. You get part of your fare (all or most, depending on the level of insurance purchased) back as a credit for a future cruise.

That said, don't put yourself in a position where a flight mishap will cause you to miss your cruise. My OCD rules:

1. Fly in at least one day before, two days for over-the-water flights.

2. Don't connect through cold-weather cities in winter.

3. Have connecting times of at least one and a half hours, preferably more, and pay attention to on-time performance statistics.

4. Have a back-up plan.

But mostly, fly in early. Five days early if necessary! I had a Monday flight for a cruise departing on Tuesday and ended up flying out Friday night as a huge snowstorm was beginning. It cost me $250 extra for a new ticket to Jacksonville (the only FL city I could find a last-minute seat to), three extra hotel nights, and a rental car to drive to FLL, but I would have probably missed the cruise otherwise, as I was coming from my parents' home and my mother reported that it wasn't until Tuesday when the plows dug them out.

If you miss your cruise, Princess insurance will cover that, under their "cancel for any reason" coverage. You get part of your fare (all or most, depending on the level of insurance purchased) back as a credit for a future cruise.

That said, don't put yourself in a position where a flight mishap will cause you to miss your cruise. My OCD rules:

1. Fly in at least one day before, two days for over-the-water flights.

2. Don't connect through cold-weather cities in winter.

3. Have connecting times of at least one and a half hours, preferably more, and pay attention to on-time performance statistics.

4. Have a back-up plan.

But mostly, fly in early. Five days early if necessary! I had a Monday flight for a cruise departing on Tuesday and ended up flying out Friday night as a huge snowstorm was beginning. It cost me $250 extra for a new ticket to Jacksonville (the only FL city I could find a last-minute seat to), three extra hotel nights, and a rental car to drive to FLL, but I would have probably missed the cruise otherwise, as I was coming from my parents' home and my mother reported that it wasn't until Tuesday when the plows dug them out.

thank you for reasoning this out. I am up too late trying to figure important things out :rolleyes: if I were to miss it, id cancel for any reason and get a credit for a future cruise. this is what I was most worried about. we're flying into Vancouver in may from the Midwest a day early - with work, that's about all we can do. I tried some of the other insurance websites for flight only - but it's mostly accidently death insurance if the plane were to crash (just what I want to think about!) thanks again!

If you are flying Delta from DTW, make sure you purchase your tickets on their website., which is much better than having a third party website involved. Near the end of your transaction, Delta will offer you the option to purchase insurance for your tickets. The last time we did this the insurance was with Access America.

Hope this helps you!

Elaine

If you are flying Delta from DTW, make sure you purchase your tickets on their website., which is much better than having a third party website involved. Near the end of your transaction, Delta will offer you the option to purchase insurance for your tickets. The last time we did this the insurance was with Access America.

Hope this helps you!

Elaine

very helpful! last time we flew out of DTW, we bought delta tickets from a third party website and were not happy at all. the insurance for our tickets would be great. thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived