Live from the Costa Pacifica and Grand Costa Club Cruise

Capricruiser

I had intended to start this thread at the beginning of the cruise (15 Sept.) but with excursions and so many activities aboard, I just haven’t had time. This cruise celebrates Costa’s 65th anniversary as a cruise line and 90% of the over 3000 passengers are Costa Club members. It’s really been a great cruise so far, although with probably half the guests being in the Gold Pearl category, a few of the traditional privileges such as preferential boarding, early disembarkation to the excursion buses, etc. had to be suspended.

The itinerary was modified for this eastern Mediterranean cruise with two unusual port calls, Volos and Thessaloniki in Greece added, along with Katakolon, Mykonos, Izmir Istanbul (two full days), Athens and Civitavecchia (Savona is the principle embarkation/disembarkation port). The food has been pretty good with lots of “special” dishes offered. The entertainment in the theater has been spectacular with an internationally renown operatic troupe performing, a comic act that had everyone rolling in the aisles, and tonight a well known Italian singing group, Matia Bazar. There have been a few interesting gadget gifts for Costa Club members as well as special spa discounts (I paid only €43 for a one hour massage yesterday which carried a regular price tag of €98).

The passenger demographics show a mostly elderly Italian majority with Germans and French taking second and third place. The younger generation is also present with a few children and teens as well. While we’ve been to practically all the ports in the past (except Thessaloniki), the excursion from Volos to the monasteries of Meteora was the most popular. All in all it’s been loads of fun but it’s coming to a close. We’ll land at Savona on Saturday.

Flash! Right now we're viewing a most unusual event. The Italian Coast Guard requested our assistance to aid in the rescue of a small boat filled to the gills with African refuges. The Pacifica maneuvered alongside to block the waves while a small Coast Guard rescue boat off-loaded the people, men, women, and I saw lots of children. Now one of our launches is taking on some of them as well so I suspect we'll be carrying them to a port on the Italian mainland. This is something we see on the TV news frequently but to see it with your own eyes is both emotional and exciting. The living conditions and tragedies that cause these poor people to risk their lives like this must be tremendous.

Archived