Paul Gauguin, shore excursions

Fletcher921

We have never been in this region at all. We are spending 4 nights on Moorea at the Sheraton and then taking a 7 night cruise on The Paul Gauguin. What excursions are must-do's? Which ones are over-rated. What is nice to see on Moorea before the cruise?

Thank you!

I have done the 7 day PG once and just returned a couple weeks ago from the 10 day Tuamotu PG itinerary. Here are the excursions I especially enjoyed over those two trips:

Raiatea: Circle island and lagoon snorkel. Gives a great view around the island with some nice snorkeling off a motu

Bora Bora: Sting Ray and Shark feeding is a terrific trip. You get very up close and personal with the sting rays, they are very friendly!

The Off-road Safari is also a really fun ride, and provides stunning views of the lagoon.

Moorea: Dr. Poole's Dolphin watching trip is very educational and entertaining. Snorkeling is also an opportunity on this trip.

The Aito off road safari is an excellent trip, visiting the Belevedere view point, a pineapple planation, jam factory, distillery, and taking you up a long and bumpy road to a spectacular mountaintop viewpoint over Oponohu Bay.

Those are my favorites. One thing I can't wholeheartedly recommend is the parasailing on Moorea. Maybe I just had a bad experience, but I felt the operators were negligent, allowing my tow line to go slack and almost causing me to fall. I won't be doing that ever again.

Also, be sure to keep the day on Motu Mahana (off Taha'a) free of excursions. You will want to spend the entire day enjoying this little piece of heaven. Full lunch on the motu, open bar all day, nice snorkeling and kayaking. Show up early for the first tender and stay until the last. It's worth it.

One other note, the PG also has a private beach available on Bora Bora, which is beautiful. Take adavantage of this, it's a great spot. They also provide an open bar there.

As for spending time on Moorea, it's a beautiful island. You will enjoy exploring it by rental car. Moorea is also known as the best place to buy black pearls. Shops here are numerous and complete heavily for your business.

Hope this helps! You will have a wonderful time!

JulieMac

JulieMac...Can you please tell me what shark and ray feeding you did in Bora Bora? I am thinking of booking with Frank Sachsse at Moana Tours. Did you use him? He requires a credit card deposit and I am a little leery. Thanks in advance for your input.

• 1 month later...

We have requested the following shore excursions though RSSC:

DATE: Tuesday October 04, 2005

PORT: Bora Bora

EXCURSION: Shark & Ray Feeding Snorkeling Tour

DURATION: 3 Hours

DEPARTS: AM

DATE: Wednesday October 05, 2005

PORT: Bora Bora

EXCURSION: Bora Bora Island Tour by "Le Truck"

DURATION: 3 Hours

DEPARTS: AM

DATE: Friday October 07, 2005

PORT: Moorea

EXCURSION: AquaBlue - Underwater Walk (30mins underwater)

DURATION: 2 Hours

DEPARTS: PM

Any suggestions on Raiatea?? I don't see the "Raiatea: Circle island and lagoon snorkel. Gives a great view around the island with some nice snorkeling off a motu" that JulieMac mentioned.

Thank you, Babs

Fletcher, We did para sailing in Moorea and loved it, we would do it again in a heart beat!! Now for the Aqua walk, it was beautiful, but getting down & up out of the water was very scarey for me.(the waters were super rough that day) I am also claustrophobic. I just felt really scared. My husband loved it. All I can say is I did it, and never say never most likely won't do it ever again. It honestly was tramatic for me. I was so scared once I finally got out of the water, it was hard for me to speak. I wanted to cry. Most people have a great time though. Everyone has different experiences. You will love French Polynesia!!:D

Babs - On Raiatea, the excursion Julie Mac referred to is simply listed as "Raiatea Lagoon & Snorkeling". When you read the full description for that you will see that the boat will circle the island. Most of the time you will be within the lagoon, but part of the time you will be out in the ocean.

I did the water walk in Bora Bora and loved it - but the snorkeling trip in Moorea was where we really got up close and personal with a 'school' of rays. We also enjoyed the lagoonarium in Bora Bora - only time I've ever been in the water with the sharks - got some neat pictures with my underwater camera. My wife took the photography tour in Moorea and thought it was good, but overpriced. All were Radisson excursions.

David

I originally requested three excursions. Then, after reading a few of these posts (thank you!), I went online and requested one more. My new confimation that they sent me only has the last one I requested printed, with no mention of the previous three. Are they accumulative - or should I assume all is well and just get to the excursion desk the moment we get on the boat.

Babs

Hi! It is true- once you go online and try to rebook an extra shore excursion with RSSC it will over ride any previously book excursion. I spoke with RSSC and my travel agent- there is no way to combine the two. They said when you book online the second time to reorder all the previous ones again. Sadly- the ones I picked the first time around are not all available now. TA suggested I wait until I was onboard. Hope this is helpful. RSSC admitted this was not the greatest method.

Archived