When is safety drill?

sjf

Our cruise on Millennium next March starts in Hong Kong. There will be an overnight on board the first night. Does anyone know if the safety drill will be performed on the first or second day, and at what time?

We'll check in on Day 1, but want to know whether we can go back out for the rest of the day until night-time. Day 2 we will also head out again and as the ship doesn't depart until 8pm, seems like we could have a day ashore until 7pm. But I'm guessing that drill will have to be fitted in before we can leave port.

I'd really like to know when as we'll be making plans to be with friends who live in HK.

As a result of the Costa Concordia tragedy, the cruise industry has revamped the rules regarding safety/lifeboat drills. It now must happen before you leave the port. So your drill will most likely be scheduled about an hour before your scheduled departure time. It is possible that will modify this time to fit-in with their dinner schedule...but it will happen before you sail, it is mandatory, and if a passenger fails to show for the drill they will normally be put-off the ship.

Since the final decision on when to hold the drill will be made by the Captain it will be difficult for you to get a firm answer as to the time. You might call Celebrity and see if they would be nice enough to contact the Captain for an answer to your question.

Hank

Had a overnight in port at beginning on Royal Carribean once and they Had the drill on Day 1. Everyone had to be onboard at 7 for the Drill at 8. Once the Drill is over you can go ashore untill the all aboard time the next day. The drill was originally planned for the second day. They moved it to the first day due to the Concordia. I have the Same Situation on Infinity in March and Constellation in Nov 2014

Thanks both. We definitely would not want to miss the drill. I will contact Celebrity about it but I think if it's up to the Captain and not a set thing, we'll just have to be flexible and arrange our on-shore plans once we know the score.

How are you notified as to where and when the drill will be held? Does anyone know this? Thank you:confused:

You will normally (but not always) be given a schedule of the activities as you check-in. There will also be a copy of the daily schedule in your cabin where it will tell you the time of the drill. They will also make announcements as the time draws near.

Hank

You will normally (but not always) be given a schedule of the activities as you check-in. There will also be a copy of the daily schedule in your cabin where it will tell you the time of the drill. They will also make announcements as the time draws near.

Hank

Also your cabin TV will be tuned to an information channel, and they will announce the time of the safety drill ad nauseam.

Just treat the safety drill like your annual visit to the urologist or OB/GYN. It's not much fun, but it just could save your life!

Had a overnight in port at beginning on Royal Carribean once and they Had the drill on Day 1. Everyone had to be onboard at 7 for the Drill at 8. Once the Drill is over you can go ashore untill the all aboard time the next day. The drill was originally planned for the second day. They moved it to the first day due to the Concordia. I have the Same Situation on Infinity in March and Constellation in Nov 2014

I sure hope they wait until the departure day on our Asia cruise. I wouldn't want to come all the way back to the ship just to participate in the drill and then go back out. We want to dine ashore that night, and that would be completely disruptive. I don't want to skip the drill, of course, but I don't want to lose an hour or two of my time ashore either. I would think the best time would be when everybody HAS to be on board for departure, not when people are trying to enjoy a rare evening ashore.

Archived