Formal Night Attire

Den53

Long sleeved shirt and tie perfectly acceptable. No one will bat an eye except for the fashion police

We just got off Ruby's 12-day Greek Isles cruise. We asked our favorite head-waiter this same question. His official answer was to wear a long-sleeved shirt & you will be fine. Ties not necessary.

Casual Steve

Oh my! Actually my thoughts on this have been, if you don't want to follow the rules there are other options. But since we are traveling with another couple I was trying to find out if a long shirt and tie were acceptable. I still would need to let the other couple know that a golf shirt/collared shirt is not fine for formal night.

But, I do find it rather strange that women can wear pants and a dressy top but they want the men to dress up more.

We will be meeting the other couple next week to talk about excursions so I will bring up the formal issue. I was "hoping" that an early sitting for Anytime dining would be a bit more lax as oppose to the Traditional dining. Oh well.

Long sleeved shirt and tie perfectly acceptable. No one will bat an eye except for the fashion police

We just got off Ruby's 12-day Greek Isles cruise. We asked our favorite head-waiter this same question. His official answer was to wear a long-sleeved shirt & you will be fine. Ties not necessary.

Casual Steve

Coming from a hot part of the country I do not wear long sleeve shirts. So why, are we discriminating against short sleeves. Why does the sleeve length matter?

Coming from a hot part of the country I do not wear long sleeve shirts. So why, are we discriminating against short sleeves. Why does the sleeve length matter?

They called it formal night for a reason. The Patter says formal night. Princess has a suggested formal dress code, Until such time that Princess changes it to something other then Formal I suggest you follow the suggested dress code. Short sleeves are not formal. If you have a jacket on and no one can see your arms maybe ok. Seems to me you have cruised before so how hard is it to go to Ross for Less and by one dress shirt for $15. and keep it for your cruises? This whole stupid thread would be a non issue if Princess would just get some backbone and enforce their own rules. Until then wear what you want but don't think by coming on here you can get some sort of special approval to dress down.

They called it formal night for a reason. The Patter says formal night. Princess has a suggested formal dress code, Until such time that Princess changes it to something other then Formal I suggest you follow the suggested dress code. Short sleeves are not formal. If you have a jacket on and no one can see your arms maybe ok. Seems to me you have cruised before so how hard is it to go to Ross for Less and by one dress shirt for $15. and keep it for your cruises? This whole stupid thread would be a non issue if Princess would just get some backbone and enforce their own rules. Until then wear what you want but don't think by coming on here you can get some sort of special approval to dress down.

No need to flame me. I just asked a question. This is suppose to be a discussion. BTW, all my clothes come from Penny's since my wife has worked there 20 years. I have 15 suites and two tux from my profession and plenty of dress shirts to go with them. I have dressed for every formal night and worn jackets every night on every cruise.

I agree with you about, not only Princess but other lines as well, that they need to stick with what they say. If they are not going to enforce formal night, they need not have it.

If you are really familiar with true formality then you know it more dress-up night than formal. Clothes from Ross are not formal, mostly cheap and promish. Here is a reality check, if they started to enforce formal, most of the passengers with clothes from Ross would be kicked out. A prom dress on a ova da hill female can be downright tacky, along with elastic waist polyester pants on granny, yet no one complains.

LOL, I would never consider someone wearing most of the outfits (Ross) I have seen on cruises as formal and some barely dressing up, though looking lovely.

Edited by Blk_Amish

With all due respect I was only talking a dress shirt. White, Black, Blue. In this case I don't think it matters much.:)

Ross is like Walmart, you mention it and smile and go Ok:D:D:)

For whatever reason, calling it formal night is a bit much. I would say Sunday best but in California that can be scary.

Edited by Blk_Amish

I do not think just a shirt and tie is acceptable on formal nights. I have seen the maître d exclude men because of this. Also for those people who advocate wearing a dark suit rather than a tuxedo because they have to worry about the weight. Can someone please explain to me how a tux weighs more that a conventional suit?

I have seen this happen twice. Once on the Sapphire on a 7 day Mexican Cruise four years ago and on the Ocean Princess a year before that. But I have also seen the head waiter and Maitre D' let it pass as well with just a shirt and tie. It seems to be up to the ship.

It does seem to be up to the maitre'd on the ship as to what is acceptable. As I said on the first page, it wasn't a problem for men in a dress shirt and no jacket (and no tie) to be in the MDR on formal night. But if I was a man wanting to eat in the MDR on formal night and doesn't want to wear a tux, certainly bring at least dress shirts and a tie and, as someone mentioned above, wear the jacket on the flight if wanting to keep luggage weight down. We didn't fly and my hubby packed one suit -- not a dark one, but the jacket he would wear to wear if wanting to make an impression on the higher ups -- a couple of dress shirts and three festive ties.

If you arrive at the MDR in a dress shirt and told that's not acceptable, you can 1) go back to your cabin and grab the jacket and tie, and return to the MDR, or 2) head for the buffet.

Maybe one reason men don't want to necessarily rent a tux is that they rather wear their own clothes. And maybe not want to buy a tux just for cruises. But probably most men do have a blazer or suit jacket in their closet for wearing to certain occasions (memorial services, weddings, etc.).

If you are really familiar with true formality then you know it more dress-up night than formal. Clothes from Ross are not formal, mostly cheap and promish. Here is a reality check, if they started to enforce formal, most of the passengers with clothes from Ross would be kicked out. A prom dress on a ova da hill female can be downright tacky, along with elastic waist polyester pants on granny, yet no one complains.

LOL, I would never consider someone wearing most of the outfits (Ross) I have seen on cruises as formal and some barely dressing up, though looking lovely.

Maybe for you something is tacky, but if someone can find something decent at Ross, Burlington Coats, wherever, no one is going to be checking (or should be) one's labels.

I have been invited to numerous occasions where what you wear is suggested or expected i.e. weddings, funerals and other public dinners and functions. If I have been invited to an event where I am expected to wear a tux, I either wear the expected tux or don’t go.

I see it the same as a formal night on a cruise, formal night is an event. My wife loves formal nights so we attend, I will normally wear a black formal suit with a black Burberry tie. If she felt like not going, which I never see happening, we would make other arraignments and stay out area where the formal activities are taking place and the MDR.

I would hate to be the only slob setting at a table for 8 wearing a short sleeved dress shirt with a clip-on tie.

It’s really not that bad throw a dark jacket on.

I have been invited to numerous occasions where what you wear is suggested or expected i.e. weddings, funerals and other public dinners and functions. If I have been invited to an event where I am expected to wear a tux, I either wear the expected tux or don’t go.

I see it the same as a formal night on a cruise, formal night is an event. My wife loves formal nights so we attend, I will normally wear a black formal suit with a black Burberry tie. If she felt like not going, which I never see happening, we would make other arraignments and stay out area where the formal activities are taking place and the MDR.

I would hate to be the only slob setting at a table for 8 wearing a short sleeved dress shirt with a clip-on tie.

It’s really not that bad throw a dark jacket on.

I agree with you although another poster said the difference is being invited versus paying for something I.e., cruise. To me in either case one is expected to adhere to the dress code expected regardless of how or if you paid for the privilege. I am "invited" to a wedding but I pay something. Actually all these posts are an exercise in futility. Those that enjoy and do dress up for formal nights do and those that don't, don't. Nothing will change the other's mind.

Edited by Redman1947

Maybe for you something is tacky' date=' but if someone can find something decent at Ross, Burlington Coats, wherever, no one is going to be checking (or should be) one's labels.[/quote']

You can buy a Tux at Penny's these days for around $100 when they are on sale.

Maybe one reason men don't want to necessarily rent a tux is that they rather wear their own clothes. And maybe not want to buy a tux just for cruises. But probably most men do have a blazer or suit jacket in their closet for wearing to certain occasions (memorial services' date=' weddings, etc.).[/quote']I originally bought my tux when the cost of renting for a 10 day cruise exceeded the purchase cost.

As suggested, the only times I use the tux and suit now hanging in my closet are Easter Sunday church, Weddings/Funerals, and Cruises. Unfortunately weight changes have made the tux problematic :eek: and retirement income has made replacement not a good use of resources. :(

My wife likes seeing me dressed up, and that's what matters. Princess gives us all an opportunity to do something different from our normal lives, escaping completely - even into a dream world on Formal Nights.

It is indeed a pity that some do not seize the opportunity, or appreciate it.

I agree with you although another poster said the difference is being invited versus paying for something I.e., cruise. To me in either case one is expected to adhere to the dress code expected regardless of how or if you paid for the privilege. I am "invited" to a wedding but I pay something. Actually all these posts are an exercise in futility. Those that enjoy and do dress up for formal nights do and those that don't, don't. Nothing will change the other's mind.

So, so true. On my last cruise, on Carnival nonetheless, I wore 14 dress-up (7 cocktail dresses and 7 gowns) outfits. I never though any was really FORMAL but lovely for sure. Some nights I sneaked into the buffet in a flowing gown, not highly recommended:D There are times I know that I look better in a nice pair of skinny jeans than a decent looking dress where I have to duct tape body parts. I don't cruise that often so I come up with opportunities to put my wardrobe through the pace. In the end some over dress, while other under dress, small potatoes, since neither really adhering to so called dress code.

Edited by Blk_Amish