ONE Day Post Cruise - What not to miss!

BobKat406

So we will have one full day post cruise (a little time pre-cruise) in NOLA. If I had to pick the best things to do (in my limited amount of time) what would be the most important things not to miss?

I hope one day to get back for a longer visit but in the event I don't I would like to get in the must do's.

Would a guided tour be the way to go to get in the most sightseeing?

We plan to do 3 meals and have been researching the best places to eat but we can adjust that easily to the place we will visit so trying to get some kind of plan going and gather information. We will be there in the beginning of April.

Would love input.

Well it all depends on what you want to do. Do you want to go to a jazz venue? Are you interested in history (D-Day museum)? Will you be travelling with kids and like to see the Insectarium and Aquarium? Are you a drinker and want to check out Bourbon Street? Do you have an affinity for architecture? Are you looking to shop? Are you intersted in a graveyard tour? Do you just want to stick to the French Quarter or would you like to venture on the Street Car line and see the grand mansions in the Garden District? Are you a foodie looking to eat your way through the city? Are you on a budget? Are you mobility impaired? Are you offended by nudity? Do you want to see live entertainment? Are you early to rise or rather a late to bed so I can see the nightlife? Have you checked if there are any festivals or activities going on during your one day?

There is no one trip for everyone. I would say there is a list of "not to be missed" if I were taking my 70 year old aunt that would be much different if I were taking my old college pals who were in town for the weekend.

Nolatravelgirl - you are right - so much to see do depending on likes/dislikes etc.

We are two couples in 50/60's. We all like history so D-Day museum sounds like it should be one of our stops. Although we enjoy music would not want to do just a jazz tour but would definitely want to touch on it. We love food so will add that in along the way but will plan that at places that are in the area that we will sightsee so that will be a totally different research project! Like to see the different architecture but not wanting to do only do that. Definitely interested in wandering the french quarter/bourbon street and jumping on the street car to the Garden District. Definitely interested in one of the graveyard tours.

We plan on starting early and ending late since we only really have one day to take it all in.

With that all said - is this doable in one day? Can we see the museum, tour bourbon street, french quarter, graveyard, streetcar to garden district, stop for three meals and maybe enjoy some jazz and after dinner drinks before heading back to the hotel? Is there something on Bourbon street we shouldn't miss? Any recommended Graveyard/ghost tour?

With that all said - is this doable in one day? Can we see the museum, tour bourbon street, french quarter, graveyard, streetcar to garden district, stop for three meals and maybe enjoy some jazz and after dinner drinks before heading back to the hotel? Is there something on Bourbon street we shouldn't miss? Any recommended Graveyard/ghost tour?

Yes, but it will be a BUSY day. Also, meals are large so you may find that you actually don't want 3 complete meals.

If you want to do the Streetcar on St. Charles Avenue, which is the one that runs through the Garden District and up past the Universities, I would plan on hopping off along the way and eating lunch or dinner in the Uptown area rather than trying to go back and forth and back and forth to the French Quarter.

Dinner, drinks, Bourbon Street and jazz can all be done in the Quarter in the evening. Bourbon Street actually looks better at night -- it's just a touristy street during the day, and there is traffic to deal with. After dark it's a pedestrian only thoroughfare.

I'm not sure you could fit a cemetery tour in, depending on how much time you spend at the D-Day Museum, but that is definitely something you want to due during daylight hours unless you are on a tour.

But really, fair warning, it will be a BUSY day if you want to get everything in.

I think it is doable if you plan it correctly but this is a lot.

My suggestion would be to get to the D-Day Museum at 9:00, right when it opens. Spend about 2 hours there then catch the streetcar at Lee Circle (a 2 min walk from the D-Day Museum) heading toward the Garden District. Get off at the stop at Washington Ave. (about 8 or 9 stops down I think).

Have lunch, the Jazz Brunch at Commanders Palace (iconic New Orleans restaurant. You need to make reservations). Then across the street from Commanders is Lafayette Cemetery. Lafayette is a very interesting one to visit. Some history:

Lafayette Cemetery is one of the oldest cemeteries in the city. If you are a movie buff, parts may seem familiar to you, as this is a favorite scene in many movies made here in New Orleans. The history of the cemetery goes back to the beginning of the 19th century, before it was part of New Orleans.

I took my teen girls on a tour there a few months ago. It was through www.tour-new-orleans.com. Her name was Joyce and she was excellent. She knew her history. I don't like the big group tours that tend to focus less on history and are more of a "show". She is $15 per person for the tour. Her email is tourneworleans@gmail.com If she is not available, they have other guides. You can probably set up a time that works for you.

Afterward, you can continue on down St. Charles a little farther to see the beautiful mansions or head back to the French Quarter. Then you can spend the rest of the early evening and night in the French Quarter area (which basically doesn't close). There really isn't anything on Bourbon Street that is a "must see". You will probably only want to walk down once then get off of that street. There is so much more to the French Quarter. Also, you may be able to do a Ghost Tour at night in the French Quarter if you still have energy. SOme of them probably start late. Actually, http://www.tour-new-orleans.com has one that sounds very good. The exact time is not stated on their website but it states evening. It is 1.5 hours.

You don't need 3 meals because the food is heavy. I would rather have one really nice meal then a light meal in the evening followed by beignets, which is open 24 hours.

have fun!

Edited by World Gallery

I think it is doable if you plan it correctly but this is a lot.

My suggestion would be to get to the D-Day Museum at 9:00, right when it opens. Spend about 2 hours there then catch the streetcar at Lee Circle (a 2 min walk from the D-Day Museum) heading toward the Garden District. Get off at the stop at Washington Ave. (about 8 or 9 stops down I think).

Have lunch, the Jazz Brunch at Commanders Palace (iconic New Orleans restaurant. You need to make reservations). Then across the street from Commanders is Lafayette Cemetery. Lafayette is a very interesting one to visit. Some history:

Lafayette Cemetery is one of the oldest cemeteries in the city. If you are a movie buff, parts may seem familiar to you, as this is a favorite scene in many movies made here in New Orleans. The history of the cemetery goes back to the beginning of the 19th century, before it was part of New Orleans.

I took my teen girls on a tour there a few months ago. It was through www.tour-new-orleans.com. Her name was Joyce and she was excellent. She knew her history. I don't like the big group tours that tend to focus less on history and are more of a "show". She is $15 per person for the tour. Her email is tourneworleans@gmail.com If she is not available, they have other guides. You can probably set up a time that works for you.

Afterward, you can continue on down St. Charles a little farther to see the beautiful mansions or head back to the French Quarter. Then you can spend the rest of the early evening and night in the French Quarter area (which basically doesn't close). There really isn't anything on Bourbon Street that is a "must see". You will probably only want to walk down once then get off of that street. There is so much more to the French Quarter. Also, you may be able to do a Ghost Tour at night in the French Quarter if you still have energy. SOme of them probably start late. Actually, http://www.tour-new-orleans.com has one that sounds very good. The exact time is not stated on their website but it states evening. It is 1.5 hours.

You don't need 3 meals because the food is heavy. I would rather have one really nice meal then a light meal in the evening followed by beignets, which is open 24 hours.

have fun!

Omg thank you again WG. This sounds great and very specific.

That sounds like a great itinerary, but just make sure you realize Commander's is upscale and would require more than typical tourist of attire of jeans and sneakers. I don't think it is required at lunch, but most men will be wearing sport coats at a minimum, so consider that when you dress for the day.

That sounds like a great itinerary, but just make sure you realize Commander's is upscale and would require more than typical tourist of attire of jeans and sneakers. I don't think it is required at lunch, but most men will be wearing sport coats at a minimum, so consider that when you dress for the day.

Thanks for mentioning this. Forgot about that.

When we head to the city to make a day of it and have something we need to dress up for (ex. The New Orleans Saenger has been restored and reopened so if anyone has a chance to see anything there, I HIGHLY recommend it), we carry light weight shoes in our backpack and a few others lightweight things to dress up what we are wearing (scarves, costume jewelry, etc). Works well and is very easy. We don't focus on having it perfect but just appropriate.

Thanks for mentioning this. Forgot about that.

When we head to the city to make a day of it and have something we need to dress up for (ex. The New Orleans Saenger has been restored and reopened so if anyone has a chance to see anything there, I HIGHLY recommend it), we carry light weight shoes in our backpack and a few others lightweight things to dress up what we are wearing (scarves, costume jewelry, etc). Works well and is very easy. We don't focus on having it perfect but just appropriate.

The Saenger dress code has code way down hill along with all Broadway in NYC. You see a lot of jeans these days, but I would say Commander's still requires a more upscale look than jeans and sneakers and you would feel out of place dressed in such attrie. Our family has held opening night front row tickets for over 30 years and even though the "kids" are gone they kept our tickets so if we happen to be in town we can use them. Sorry to be missing "Book of Mormon" in a few weeks!

The Saenger dress code has code way down hill along with all Broadway in NYC. You see a lot of jeans these days, but I would say Commander's still requires a more upscale look than jeans and sneakers and you would feel out of place dressed in such attrie. Our family has held opening night front row tickets for over 30 years and even though the "kids" are gone they kept our tickets so if we happen to be in town we can use them. Sorry to be missing "Book of Mormon" in a few weeks!

nolatravelgirl - I know what you mean. We visited NYC the past two years and saw jeans and very casual dress at the shows.

I thought that would be the same situation for the Saenger and I am not sure if this is a good indicator but we went to Jerry Seinfield on Saturday at the Saenger and I would say that 99% of the people were dressed up, way more so than I expected. I would say at least 50% of the women had on nice dresses (yes, dresses!). I was shocked. The others had dress pants with nice shirts. Didn't see many ties but the guys were well-dressed also. Didn't see any sneakers or jeans. Also saw women with up-dos, nice jewelry, heels, etc. Was amazing to see!

Edited by World Gallery

nolatravelgirl - I know what you mean. We visited NYC the past two years and saw jeans and very casual dress at the shows.

I thought that would be the same situation for the Saenger and I am not sure if this is a good indicator but we went to Jerry Seinfield on Saturday at the Saenger and I would say that 99% of the people were dressed up, way more so than I expected. I would say at least 50% of the women had on nice dresses (yes, dresses!). I was shocked. The others had dress pants with nice shirts. Didn't see many ties but the guys were well-dressed also. Didn't see any sneakers or jeans. Also saw women with up-dos, nice jewelry, heels, etc. Was amazing to see!

I would chalk it up to the Saenger reopening is still a novelty in NOLA. Wait a year and it will be back to slacker attire.

I was in NOLA in late August. The WWII museum is a must. I spent hours in the pacific theater part and I too am a fiftyish history buff. Plus my dad served in the pacific during WWII so it had a special meaning to me. I also would recommend the four D movie with Tom hanks ar rhe narrator but get your tickets early.

On my next trip in January i hope to see the rest of the museum.

I also liked the aquarium, and if you choose to go the Jackson square and other historical buildings in that area both are doable in the same day.

Enjoy

I spent four days in New Orleans before the cruise and then one day after the cruise. I sense you will come across one problem if your one day in New Orleans is a Sunday or a Monday. Many of the smaller museums are closed, so if you want to see some of the houses or pharmacy museum--closed Sunday and Monday, and the Historic NOLa Collection is also closed on Monday. If you want to check out the Lafitte Visitor center--closed Mondays. Sunday wouldn't be a good day for the cathedral--mass twice that day.

I wanted to check out some more sites before I would leave for the airport but found many of them closed. The convent was closed for display change and other stuff when I was there....so guess what, I'm going back next year and hopefully it will be open...

I haven't read all the replies, but looking at the first "itinerary" reference with all that stuff in one day, sorry NO WAY. 2 hours in the D Day museum is minimal, I would add another hour- unless you are going to do a marathon look. Even riding the St. Charles street car can take up a lot of time. Add in your time for meals, an hour each? A Cemetery Tour? Add another 2 hours, at least- plus getting to all these locations?

We have about 4-5 hours the day of the cruise since we are coming in the night before so I was thinking maybe doing Cafe du Monde and the street car/Garden City that morning then heading to the ship.

We will have all day Saturday when we return so I'm thinking the museum and maybe a graveyard tour. We will check out the tour company recommended. We can walk down Bourbon street and grab a drink on the way back to the hotel in the evening. Stops along the way to eat.

I'm thinking we may need a return trip to NOLA to just see the sites. We will hopefully get as much in as we can.

Thanks for all the information - the folks on this site are always very helpful!

Edited by BobKat406

• 2 months later...