Nieuw Amsterdam power

BNguy

Just off NA a week ago. Room always comfortably cool even if away from it all day. Used the AAA card in the slot trick, but noticed cabin steward pulled it up, but not out, each time they entered & left the room. So, good luck with that. My only concern was the A/C, and it seemed not to be affected, and I'm pretty sensitive to room temps.

Just off NA a week ago. Room always comfortably cool even if away from it all day. Used the AAA card in the slot trick, but noticed cabin steward pulled it up, but not out, each time they entered & left the room. So, good luck with that. My only concern was the A/C, and it seemed not to be affected, and I'm pretty sensitive to room temps.

I won't be happy if my camera batteries are stopped from being charged! :mad:

No guarantee HAL is same as Queen Elizabeth but I suspect so. I found that when I took the card out of the slot, most of the circuits shut off but one or 2 stayed live. While in the room (perhaps with a flash light) take out the card, wait till the lights go off, and then look at each of the sockets to see if some are live. I left stuff that must be charged in that circuit.

Roy

No guarantee HAL is same as Queen Elizabeth but I suspect so. I found that when I took the card out of the slot, most of the circuits shut off but one or 2 stayed live. While in the room (perhaps with a flash light) take out the card, wait till the lights go off, and then look at each of the sockets to see if some are live. I left stuff that must be charged in that circuit.

Roy

I'm on Nieuw Amsterdam in less than 3 weeks. I'll test it out and report back! :D

And of course I will be doing my room video as well for you tube! I'll most likely talk about the power slot in my commentary. :D

I wonder if the room attendants will confiscate your gift card left in the slot.
No. See posts 16 and 17

I won't be happy if my camera batteries are stopped from being charged! :mad:
Why not charge them overnight, while you are in the room?

No. See posts 16 and 17

Thanks for your help! I did already read posts 16 and 17. I'm still wondering though :D You can't base anything on just two posts. But it's a good start. I'll let you know if I have any problems. I'm going to bring as many cards as I can dig up, Just in case they get pinched.

Why not charge them overnight, while you are in the room?

I assume you are in your cabin overnight. I might not be. Winks. :D Seriously I have a lot of electronics and cameras. I charge day and night. Really! :D

I shoot room tour videos (both cruise and hotels where I stay) and I actually shot a video a little over a year ago that had my first encounter with the room card being required to power the room.

Check it out! It's right at the beginning of the video. :D

Cheers :D

Is this feature unique to the NA? Don't recall encountering such a thing on our two Eurodam cruises. If so, wonder why it has only now been used.

As we become more aware of energy conservation this is becoming a feature of more hotel rooms and ships. Cunard's Queen Elizabeth (ca 2011) has the slots while Queen Victoria (ca 2009) does not. I would expect it on most new ships.

Roy

• 1 month later...
I'm on Nieuw Amsterdam in less than 3 weeks. I'll test it out and report back! :D

And of course I will be doing my room video as well for you tube! I'll most likely talk about the power slot in my commentary. :D

I almost forgot to follow up on this! :D

Here is the video! I did post this earlier on the HAL group.

I do talk about the power slot at the beginning.

Enjoy!

I almost forgot to follow up on this! :D

Here is the video! I did post this earlier on the HAL group.

I do talk about the power slot at the beginning.

Enjoy!

:confused: I thought you were going to investigate whether the AC and wall outlets shut off when the card was pulled.

On the MSC Divina we also had the card slot for keeping the lights on but what seems to be different from what Tricky Dicky's video shows, on the Divina the cabin lights stayed on for a few seconds after you removed the card from the slot. When the cabin lights do go off, a dim light by the cabin door goes on.

Edited by Boytjie