I need help with a group cruise!

LRav19

I going to put together a group cruise for my church. I have been on several cruises but I have never put together a group cruise. I have a few questions:

1. Would it be best to go directly through Carnival or should I go through a local travel agent?

2. How many rooms must be booked for this to be considered a group cruise?

3. What type of discount should I expect?

4. I have heard that the person putting the cruise together for the group will get a free cruise. Is that true? What should I expect or better yet what should I ask for?

Any help would be appreciated.

Usually 8 cabins minimum are required for a group.

We have always used a local T/A instead of Carnival. I like being able to go to there office, sit down, and ask questions in person.

You usually get the best price available at booking time for the time of year you're going.

You get one free cruise for every 8 cabins booked. They take the average price of your inside, outside, and balcony cabins booked and figure an amount. Port charges, taxes, and travel agent commission are not included and still must be paid.

We have always just divided up the free cruise<s> among the cabins booked and gave them an on-board credit. You could always just use it for yourself as well.

Groups get amenity points depending on the ship, time of year, and cabins booked. Last March we got a free photo coupon per cabin and a private cocktail party for the group.

We all got a 2-cat upgrade, but everyone booked a balcony to begin with.

You get to specify your dinner seating time, and send them a table arrangement with seating charts.

About being a group leader:

Set up a pre-cruise and post-cruise party so everyone can meet each other. Ask your T/A to get some free give-away stuff from Carnival. Have name-tags if people don't know each other. Set up a Group Photo on the ship. Send out newsletters every 3-4 months or so. Make up a reminder for the cocktail party and slip it under the door to their cabin the morning of the party. Go a day early, book rooms at a hotel, set up transportation to/from the hotel and pier. Maybe get Group Shirts for everyone with some group name or logo printed on them. Wear them on Day 1 and at the group photo.

Have fun.

You get one free cruise for every 8 cabins booked. They take the average price of your inside, outside, and balcony cabins booked and figure an amount. Port charges, taxes, and travel agent commission are not included and still must be paid.

Just to claify it is one free BERTH (think of it as per person) per eight cabins minus taxes and port charges. and it is rebated to you AFTER you cruise so you would still need to pay for your fare upfront and get it rebated after the cruise

We've always been able to deduct it up front before final payment. We did that one time though, and were dividing it up among all of the cabins, and we had one couple back out two days before the final payment was due, dropping us from 24 to 23 cabins, and 3 free ones to 2. We had to call everyone to get another check for $41 from every couple. Now we just ask for an on-board credit, much easier that way.

We are doing group in jan. For every 15 paid guests, you get 1 free berth, but you must pay taxes and port charges. I haven't made final payment yet, so I can't say if it is taken off final booking or refunded after (hope taken off final payment due). You will also get the free points based on your ship/date, etc. We got 4 points for ours, whcih gives each cabin $100 onboard credit. We chose that over cocktail party, pics, etc b/c then each cabin can spend it on what they want (pics, drinks, gift shops). You have to choose the same "gift" for every cabin when you use the points.

We've always been able to deduct it up front before final payment. We did that one time though, and were dividing it up among all of the cabins, and we had one couple back out two days before the final payment was due, dropping us from 24 to 23 cabins, and 3 free ones to 2. We had to call everyone to get another check for $41 from every couple. Now we just ask for an on-board credit, much easier that way.

In my experience it is supposed to be after the cruise has taken for the reason above. It could be in my case a little different since prior to the cruise I get 50% of the agency comission after everyone is booked :D (employee benefit) and after the cruise the berths are rebated back to me.

Just came off of a group cruise I planned. There were 30 of us, so we earned one (1) free berth. They just took this off the final payment, once all other bookings were confirmed and PAID. We also received points and picked $100 shipboard credit per cabin, and a free cocktail party. If you go to the Captains Party that makes TWO (2) free cocktail parties, so my advice...

don't book them on the same day!!

• 5 years later...
Usually 8 cabins minimum are required for a group.

We have always used a local T/A instead of Carnival. I like being able to go to there office, sit down, and ask questions in person.

You usually get the best price available at booking time for the time of year you're going.

We have always just divided up the free cruise<s> among the cabins booked and gave them an on-board credit. You could always just use it for yourself as well.

Groups get amenity points depending on the ship, time of year, and cabins booked. Last March we got a free photo coupon per cabin and a private cocktail party for the group.

We all got a 2-cat upgrade, but everyone booked a balcony to begin with.

You get to specify your dinner seating time, and send them a table arrangement with seating charts.

About being a group leader:

Set up a pre-cruise and post-cruise party so everyone can meet each other. Ask your T/A to get some free give-away stuff from Carnival. Have name-tags if people don't know each other. Set up a Group Photo on the ship. Send out newsletters every 3-4 months or so. Make up a reminder for the cocktail party and slip it under the door to their cabin the morning of the party. Go a day early, book rooms at a hotel, set up transportation to/from the hotel and pier. Maybe get Group Shirts for everyone with some group name or logo printed on them. Wear them on Day 1 and at the group photo.

Have fun.

Not quite... you get the value of a single berth for each eight cabins booked minus taxes and fees. The payment arrives six to ten weeks after the cruise completes.

:)

Just to claify it is one free BERTH (think of it as per person) per eight cabins minus taxes and port charges. and it is rebated to you AFTER you cruise so you would still need to pay for your fare upfront and get it rebated after the cruise

Yes, this is KIND OF the way mine went as well. Had to pay everything up front, BUT then on the first business day at sea (since we sailed on a Sunday) that Monday the berth was given to me in OBC.

I have never had to pay upfront for the free berths.....It was deducted from final payment. I have been a group leader 3 times.......

My up coming cruise is a group cruise and every cabin is getting $100.00 OBC and I was told that check will be mailed to me for the berth credit..This was the firsrt time we have booked a group cruise...

Just a note to let you know that the amenity points have just changed and unless you get full deposits up front for all of your cabins you can't berth guests until you do. Get with an agent that is experienced in groups. you handle your friends and be the go between to the agent. Seems to work better that way.

Archived