Power Surge Aboard Ship

waltd

Would you remember what brand you were using when the crewmember confiscated it?

Thanks

No, sorry. It was in April, 2006. It wasn't as compact as the ones I'm seeing links to on this thread. I do think I'll try one of these; there have been more posts than ever this year on the Princess board about electronics getting fried on board.

No, sorry. It was in April, 2006. It wasn't as compact as the ones I'm seeing links to on this thread. I do think I'll try one of these; there have been more posts than ever this year on the Princess board about electronics getting fried on board.

Well, that's, more than likely, because people are taking more and more personal electronic devices onboard. In the past, you might have a camera, a cell phone and possibly a laptop. Nowadays, you have your iPod, your cell phone, your tablet, your camera, personal speakers, dvd player, laptop etc....

We always have traveled with a surge protector.

Westom, Your explanation below seems to suggest that a surge protector is not really required.

Most all laptops, cameras & cellphone chargers are all switching power supplies, which consider input voltages of 85 - 265 (as you noted below)

If the ship never gives out 330V, then what causes the laptops to break?

If a protector caused a ground fault detector to trip, then the protector was probably on a path of self destruction. That, in some rare cases, can cause a fire.

If lights are changing intensity, then voltage is changing by as much as ten or twenty volts. Meanwhile 120 volt appliances such as laptops and mobile phone chargers consider all voltages from 85 to 265 volts as ideal. IOW those near zero voltage changes that cause light intensity changes are near zero. Ideal for all portable appliances.

What does a protector do? It ignores all voltages less than 330 volts. Of course, readers want confirmation. That let-through voltage numbers should be printed on every box. Unfortunately most who recommend a protector also ignore that number. It means a protector does nothing until voltages exceed 330 volts. How often does that happen? On a ship - never.

Unfortunately some observe an appliance failure. Then immediately assume it was a surge.

Many simply convert hearsay into a fact. Instead, demand numbers. Significant intensity changes in light bulbs means 120 volts may have increased to 130 volts. That is well below what all portable appliances call ideal (less than 265 volts). Protectors completely ignore that trivial voltage variations. A protector only leaks so much current as to trip a GF detector when it is failing; may even become a potential human safety threat.

That confiscated protector is best disposed of as defective.

If the ship never gives out 330V, then what causes the laptops to break?

Most failures are manufacturing defects. We saw a classic example. Counterfeit electrolyte in electrolytic capacitors caused electronics failures years later. It is rather amazing that electronics work at all since any of thousands of parts or transistors can cause the entire device to fail.

Many failures get blamed on myths. For example one turned off their computer after months of continuous operation. He blamed power cycling for damage. Then I did the analysis. A pullup resistor for the bootstrap circuit probably failed weeks or months earlier. Its only function is power during power up. IOW that resistor failed due to too many hours of operation. A manufacturing defect weeks ago means it would not power up. Its owner immediately blamed power cycling (on speculation) rather than a defectively manufactured resistor.

Most failures are manufacturing defects. Speculation (somehow declared as knowledge) often blames failure on surges or power cycling.

Edited by westom

The travel surge sounds like a great idea. Do most ships have a 3 prong electric outlet that accepts the 3 prong surge protector?

Thanks.

Which also reminds me, it has been a few years since we cruised (Kids!) do I need an adapter for the ship? We will have a surge protector that also contains USB ports. I seem to remember being able to plug in a nightlight in the bathroom also, but that may be a false memory. Thanks.

I want to buy one of these, just checked the Uk Amazon site and they are twice the price, can you get them in FL .on a Caribbean cruise from 16 November for 2 week back to back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Which also reminds me, it has been a few years since we cruised (Kids!) do I need an adapter for the ship? We will have a surge protector that also contains USB ports. I seem to remember being able to plug in a nightlight in the bathroom also, but that may be a false memory. Thanks.

No, there are three-hole plugs near the desk. And we always have one of those cool-light nightlights in the bathroom. Not a problem.

I have never seen one in a store. If you know what hotel you are staying at pre cruise, you may be able to order one from the US Amazon site and ship it to the hotel. Of course you would coordinate with the hotel manager first! :-)

Keep in mind that the Belkin is not auto switching and only works with North America voltages (even if you had a plug adapter). Fine for a cruise but not at home or for EU travel. That's because the circuitry inside may detect 240V as a surge.

So now I'm curious how many cruisers have been asked not to use the protectors vs. have used the surge protectors and never had an issue with the ship? Is it wise to purchase one even if only to be used for charging a cell phone on a Pacific Coastal cruise? I would hate to buy one and not be able to use it then again don't want any issues with the ship staff.

An alternative source for light in the bathroom at night is a battery operated candle. I have used the tea light sized type for several years now, for both cruises and for other forms of travel. For a cruise of more than 2 weeks, I pack 2, in case the battery gives out on the first one. (Of course, I always turn it off once I am up for the day.) They're inexpensive, small, and virtually weightless.

Westom, thanks for the follow up. I must agree with you. Again if most powersupplies for the various eclectronic equipment we take on board can handle anything between 85VAC - 265VAC I find a powersurge device not needed,(or definite overkill) as I do not think a power surge greater than 265VAC will occur on a ship.

Most failures are manufacturing defects. We saw a classic example. Counterfeit electrolyte in electrolytic capacitors caused electronics failures years later. It is rather amazing that electronics work at all sine ce any of thousands of parts or transistors can cause the entire device to fail.

Many failures get blamed on myths. For example one turned off their computer after months of continuous operation. He blamed power cycling for damage. Then I did the analysis. A pullup resistor for the bootstrap circuit probably failed weeks or months earlier. Its only function is power during power up. IOW that resistor failed due to too many hours of operation. A manufacturing defect weeks ago means it would not power up. Its owner immediately blamed power cycling (on speculation) rather than a defectively manufactured resistor.

Most failures are manufacturing defects. Speculation (somehow declared as knowledge) often blames failure on surges or power cycling.

So now I'm curious how many cruisers have been asked not to use the protectors vs. have used the surge protectors and never had an issue with the ship? Is it wise to purchase one even if only to be used for charging a cell phone on a Pacific Coastal cruise? I would hate to buy one and not be able to use it then again don't want any issues with the ship staff.

We used that Belkin one daily on the Crown without a problem. Also didn't usually use the phones' chargers, just plugged USB cables straight into the Belkin's two USB ports.

Bought two Belkins actually at the same time, gave one to my son for the same cruise and I assume it worked in their cabin just as well.

So there's two thumbs up...

~sent using Cruise Critic app~

Me thinks Belkin should be giving all CC'ers a discount!! With everyone ordering (myself included) their YTD sales numbers will be inflated. Some Exec will be wondering why!! Hope he/she cruises and reads CC!!!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I'm ordering one, too!

I want to buy one of these, just checked the Uk Amazon site and they are twice the price, can you get them in FL .on a Caribbean cruise from 16 November for 2 week back to back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You can probably have it shipped to your pre cruise hotel, not sure what stores carry it. Try Best buy's website.