South America travel advice

GAJE

Anticipate booking the South America/Antarctica cruise for Jan., 07 - whenever it opens up. My question today is whether to have book with transportation or without. On previous cruises, we have used DH's frequent flyer miles. However, this time, dealing with the Third World realities, we are thinking that having HAL take care of all the travel and hotel particulars at both ends of the cruise (flying in a day early and flying out a day later) might be the smartest way to go. Any suggestions?

Thanks, as always!!!

Betty

Betty: we struggled with this issue before our SA cruise. We elected to go with independent air for several reasons:

1. We wanted to arrive in Santiago at least one day before embarkation day---we could not be assured that HAL would do that for us without a deviation fee.

2. I wanted to use a US-flagged airline both ways.

3. We were able to save $1100 in air fare compared to what HAL qouted us.

Once on-board, we spoke to many folks who used HAL-arranged air and who arrived in Santiago on the morning of embarkation. It is different strokes for different folks. For us, all our air itinerary choices involved "red-eye" flights both ways. We just hate feeling like zombies when we board the ship! Hope this helps!

I didn't save quite as much on my air,;) but I did get a flight to Iguasso Falls, and Lima from Santiago and to Cusco and back to Lima before flying back home for the same money. :D I think you can save a lot of money doing things on your own, but it is easier to let HAL do this stuff, and only you can make that decision. However, do yourself a favor and travel at least 1 day early, I think 3 or 4 is even better, even if you have to pay an air deviation. That is a good thing about Celebrity, if you have a certain status in the Captains Club you can do air deviations for free.

Isn't the HAL SA itinerary available now for January 07? I am looking at Australia over the same time frame and it has been available for months. I booked our November 05 trip back in February of 04.

jc

GAJE..I would hardly call South America third world. They do have the poor, but don't we all? The people seem to be more happy on less but it is not Africa. I would say your in for a wonderful enlightenment. We just did the trip and hope you truly enjoy this beautiful part of our world. Happy Sailings...Leslie Swiger:)

1. You can purchase transfers only from HAL.

2. As a person who has taiught at the Colegio Militar in Argentina, if you think South America is the third word, what do you call California or Canada? Santiago and BA are safer than NY, Chicago, or LA. Would love to know on what you base your third world conclusion.

GAJE, I flew in on my own, and arrived in Rio the same morning I boarded. Big mistake. The ship was there all day, did an overnight, and was in port the second day; I never left the ship as I was too pooped out.

I agree that it's better to fly in at least one day in advance---more if you want to see the area.

Flying out the same day as disembarkation was fine, as it was an overnight flight.

If you can upgrade to business class you will have a much more comfortable flight. It's verrrryyyyy long, to start with. If it's overnight you can sleep in your seat quite comfortably.

To those of you who objected to my reference to South America as being "third world": My husband traveled to South America many times on business before he retired and had many experiences that were not too positive. The airlines, hotels,etc. are NOT always what we are used to. More than once the airline would have "no record of a reservation". When DH's father died and DH was in Lima, the hotel insisted he was not a registered guest (after three separate calls in the middle of the night from me, a desk clerk rang his room).

So..., no insult intended, just a wary attitude.

Betty

Wow! Thank you for that info. I check the HAL website everyday and Jan. 2007 is not on the "all for South America" trip listings. I am going to call HAL immediately!

Betty

Archived