Setting up on board account: Debit Card vs Cash

ScottElkaBowl

What experiences have you had with using your debit card, those that don't have credit cards, to set up your account on the ship? Do they put multiple holds on your account? How much do they hold? How long did it take them to remove the holds?

Also, ncl gives you the option to use cash to set up your account but online it says $100 per person per cruise day...is this true? Has anyone done this? If so, when do you get the money back that you didn't use, do they give you cash at the end of the trip or do you have to wait for it to be returned?

Thanks for your help!!!

I have two bank accounts each with a debit card.

I place $500 in one account and use that one for boarding.

Then bring cash to pay off my account.

My other bank card, I use as a credit card in port or have cash.

Also I have never had a hold last longer than the vacation.

I have not used cash but there are many threads about it here.

I once used my debit card and spent a lot on board but not enough to overdraw my account. Even though my account was paid in full there was a hold for $1,000 on my account that took almost 2 weeks to clear up. NCL blamed the bank, the bank blamed NCL. No matter which was at fault I will never use a debit card again.

What experiences have you had with using your debit card, those that don't have credit cards, to set up your account on the ship? Do they put multiple holds on your account? How much do they hold? How long did it take them to remove the holds?

Also, ncl gives you the option to use cash to set up your account but online it says $100 per person per cruise day...is this true? Has anyone done this? If so, when do you get the money back that you didn't use, do they give you cash at the end of the trip or do you have to wait for it to be returned?

Thanks for your help!!!

depending on the cruise line the hold with a debit card start at about $500 per cabin. When you get close to the $500 they usually put another $500 hold on. The hold will be released about one business day after the cruise is over . This was told to my by one of the passenger services agents on board when I wanted to change from a CC to Debit card.

Keep in mind , if you disembark on a Friday or the week end , the next Monday is the first business day.

depending on the cruise line the hold with a debit card start at about $500 per cabin. When you get close to the $500 they usually put another $500 hold on. The hold will be released about one business day after the cruise is over . This was told to my by one of the passenger services agents on board when I wanted to change from a CC to Debit card.

Keep in mind , if you disembark on a Friday or the week end , the next Monday is the first business day.

BEWARE! This "hold" may be released by Norwegian in one business day, but NOT BY YOUR BANK!!! Each bank has it's own policy, and can actually keep "holds" in place for as much as 30 days.

To the OP - if you have the option of using cash, I would strongly urge you to go that route. Check on your onboard account balance every other day or so, and if necessary simply add more cash. This site is loaded with horror stories from folks who have made the mistake of using their debit card for onboard expenses, and found themselves up the creek without a paddle when they tried to use the card after the cruise, even though their accounts should have had more than adequate funds available.

Debit cards have little to no consumer protections. Debit cards are only designed by banks to get people to spend their available cash faster, usually to the result of low balance fees, NSF fees, payment protection fees, ATM withdrawal fees, etc.

If for whatever reasons you do not qualify for an unsecured line of credit look into applying for a secured line of credit. This will afford you protections (such as not having your bank account locked up) as well as protection if the card is lost or stolen and then used. Barring that, I would use cash. Once it's gone it's gone, but at least it can't cause extra headache later.

From what my pcc explained to me...

With a debit card as the payment source, they initially hold $300. Then I can put cash on my account. I am able to check my balance and add cash as often as I want. Any unused cash is returned the day you disembark.

Cash as only payment is $100 per person per day.

From what my pcc explained to me...

With a debit card as the payment source, they initially hold $300. Then I can put cash on my account. I am able to check my balance and add cash as often as I want. Any unused cash is returned the day you disembark.

Cash as only payment is $100 per person per day.

If you intend to pay with cash anyway, then there is absolutely no reason to give them your debit card. You are far better off leaving that card in your wallet, and simply establishing a cash account.

There is no requirement/minimum needed to establish a cash account.

I doubt that you can establish a cash amount without anything down. I think I read sometime back that $200 for the week is fine as long as you don't go over it.

On most ships you can keep track of your balance on your in-room television.

I will suggest to my friend that she pays gratuities in advance online.

That way there will be no surprises.

I doubt that you can establish a cash amount without anything down.

I believe you were responding to my statement...

If you intend to pay with cash anyway, then there is absolutely no reason to give them your debit card. You are far better off leaving that card in your wallet, and simply establishing a cash account.

There is no requirement/minimum needed to establish a cash account.

Which was in response to your statement...

Cash as only payment is $100 per person per day

No one suggested that there did not need to be funds put forth, but rather that there is no minimum (as suggested in your post) required. If you read my earlier post it clearly indicates that many have reported putting down $200 at the beginning of the sailing, and having no issues with that.

I do agree 100% with your suggestion that the OP pre-pay their Daily Service Charge.

Just a heads up I pay with cash. In the past the last morning I received a check with the amount that I overpaided with my final bill which I cashed on board.

The last time I was due a refund but no check it was mailed to me about 4 weeks later which I can see to avoid fraud but it is still cash that I put up front and had to wait for a check The amount was less than $200

Just a heads up I pay with cash. In the past the last morning I received a check with the amount that I overpaided with my final bill which I cashed on board.

The last time I was due a refund but no check it was mailed to me about 4 weeks later which I can see to avoid fraud but it is still cash that I put up front and had to wait for a check The amount was less than $200

Hey! Thanks for your response! Is there a minimum that they made you put down up front?

As long as your DSC are paid you don't have to put anything down. My friend did this on a weekend cruise before. The only obvious repercussion was that her card didn't work. We tried to it to see what would happen. She had no money and no debit/credit card attached so it shouldn't have worked and it didn't. No one pressured her at check-in to attach a card and once we got on the boat it was a non-issue.

I would never put the 'suggested' $700-800 down. I'd never use that! lol

I put $150 on my cash account when I boarded the ship. They didn't say a word about it, just accepted my money with a smile. Just be sure to keep an eye on your account throughout the week and then add more if needed (I've heard that if you run out of money on your account, your card will stop working until you add more). Hope that helps. :)

Archived