Price Drop After Final Payment

thephillykid

On our upcoming reflection sailing, the price dropped $220 a person for our same cabin category. I called the TA and they told me "there is nothing you can do". does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle it?

The $880 for the 4 of us would be nice to have even as an OBC.

Howard

On our upcoming reflection sailing, the price dropped $220 a person for our same cabin category. I called the TA and they told me "there is nothing you can do". does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle it?

Howard

If the price for a cabin category higher than the one you booked becomes available at a reduced price you may upgrade for the difference in price. If you paid more than the reduced price for the upgraded cabin you can get it at no additional cost, but will not receive a refund for the difference in price. I recently did that with two cruises. On one I went from a Concierge to an Aqua Class. On the other went from Concierge to a Suite. In both cases the prices were slightly less than I paid so it cost no more to upgrade. Really fantastic deals. Look for reduced prices on categories above you and you might be able to do as I did.

If the price for a cabin category higher than the one you booked becomes available at a reduced price you may upgrade for the difference in price. If you paid more than the reduced price for the upgraded cabin you can get it at no additional cost, but will not receive a refund for the difference in price. I recently did that with two cruises. On one I went from a Concierge to an Aqua Class. On the other went from Concierge to a Suite. In both cases the prices were slightly less than I paid so it cost no more to upgrade. Really fantastic deals. Look for reduced prices on categories above you and you might be able to do as I did.

I just got off the phone with the TA who told me that the Pennsylvania rate that they show on the web can not be combined with the classic beverage package that we booked. So no upgrades were available at this time for little or no money. Oh well.

I just got off the phone with the TA who told me that the Pennsylvania rate that they show on the web can not be combined with the classic beverage package that we booked. So no upgrades were available at this time for little or no money. Oh well.

Probably because the price fell below the minimum for the promotion. This is something they never tell you about. Ask TA if they will give you gratuities if you switch. Also, ask if you keep the package if you upgrade to a higher category at no less than you've paid. Remember, you can upgrade for the same or higher price after final payment is made. Keep track of price changes for higher grade categories. You will see the best deals listed as "Guarantees".

Howard

This is typical now. I am doing a pair of B2B Hawaii cruises in Oct & Nov. The price of each dropped $700 pp after final payment. I would have saved $5600 (4 people) if I had waited to book till after final payment. Suites were still about $500 pp more than I paid so I did not upgrade.

I understand why they do it, but it is VERY FRUSTRATING:mad:

With the amount that I cruise on Celebrity I could save at least $20K per year if they gave us the difference back.

The best thing to do if you want to get the most bang for the buck is always book an inside and then upgrade to Concierge or Aqua virtually for free after final payment:)

The best thing to do if you want to get the most bang for the buck is always book an inside and then upgrade to Concierge or Aqua virtually for free after final payment:)

But with my luck there'd be no higher category cabins available and we'd be stuck inside for three weeks:eek:

To add insult to injury, I looked again today at celebrity's web site and the price was even lower than yesterday. I again called the online TA and she told me that Celebrity would not honor the lower price today because it was a "happy hour" price and not eligible to combine with my free classic beverage package. I could get the upgrade but give up the liquor. Yea right, I'll jump right on that one.

Howard

To add insult to injury, I looked again today at celebrity's web site and the price was even lower than yesterday. I again called the online TA and she told me that Celebrity would not honor the lower price today because it was a "happy hour" price and not eligible to combine with my free classic beverage package. I could get the upgrade but give up the liquor. Yea right, I'll jump right on that one.

Howard

Your perks are calculated on a percentage of the price you paid for the cruise excluding taxes and port charges. If you drop below a certain point the benefit will cost Celebrity or a TA too much to be offered. You should be happy that you were permitted to upgrade at a good price. Prices will appear to come down more when the 1-2-3 promotion ends.

We booked AQ on our recent Summit cruise and the price for a Sky Suite dropped below what we paid after final payment. The price difference was $60 less which we gladly surrendered. We were able to upgrade without a hitch. We were pleasantly surprised to find a $60 credit on our credit card. I have to assume it was the price difference for the upgrade. Shhhhhhhhhh. Don't tell Celebrity.

My cruise to the southern caribbean on Nov 23 just dropped $300 per person! So that's $600 total for the both of us!

She said we can upgrade to the Aquaclass from from our Veranda room for no charge. But even the Aquaclass room is $200 cheaper per person than what I paid 2 months ago! This is very frustrating!

If we "upgrade" to the Aquaclass room, they still won't credit the difference to our credit card, because even that is cheaper?

My cruise to the southern caribbean on Nov 23 just dropped $300 per person! So that's $600 total for the both of us!

She said we can upgrade to the Aquaclass from from our Veranda room for no charge. But even the Aquaclass room is $200 cheaper per person than what I paid 2 months ago! This is very frustrating!

If we "upgrade" to the Aquaclass room, they still won't credit the difference to our credit card, because even that is cheaper?

That has been the policy for a long time if you are beyond final payment. If you go to the AQ it will actually be called a "complimentary upgrade". Really no basis for complaint sice you're receiving a higher category at no additional price. Of course you could refuse the upgrade and stay in the verandah as booked.

Now watch for price drops in Suites. You would pay the difference from what you paid for the verandah.

Today I emailed my T.A. for our upcoming cruise on the Reflection. I wanted to switch from our C3 to a SV which had dropped in price but just a few dollars more that what I paid for the C3. It was a no go unless I wanted to give up the 123 Promo that I was currently booked under.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

That has been the policy for a long time if you are beyond final payment. If you go to the AQ it will actually be called a "complimentary upgrade". Really no basis for complaint sice you're receiving a higher category at no additional price. Of course you could refuse the upgrade and stay in the verandah as booked.

Now watch for price drops in Suites. You would pay the difference from what you paid for the verandah.

Yes, I know this has been the policy since it was changed back in 2010, but it's very annoying as we've been cruising for a very long time.

I don't care about an upgrade -I took a lot of time picking out my room. But I would run through that several hundred dollars in on board credit in no time!

Will watch for price drops for suites I suppose.

Yes, I know this has been the policy since it was changed back in 2010, but it's very annoying as we've been cruising for a very long time.

I don't care about an upgrade -I took a lot of time picking out my room. But I would run through that several hundred dollars in on board credit in no time!

So if it's a really popular cruise and they only have a few cabins left at final payment and they raise the price, will you call your TA and tell them you want to pay the higher price? Everyone knows the best cabins sell first, and what is usually left after FP are not the best. Every cruise line does this to fill the ship because they know you will spend money with them while on board. If you think it's unfair than book the cruise after FP day.

IF you get this note before the 123 deal ends this weekend, i'd suggest trying to call Celebrity, have have yourself moved to Aqua Class if you can find a cabin you desire, and request one of the 123 perks. This hapend to my DW and I earlier this year. We were booked in concierge class and found an Aqua class cabin $100 more than what we paid for. I called Celebrity and they moved us up to Aqua and told us we were eligble for the 123 package. We did not get the $100 difference but we sure got our fair share of drinks with the classic drink package. They may have lost money on us that week lol.

Archived