Which airport would you choose to connect through?

Coolcruise02

I am checking on flights back to the USA from Zurich and wondered which airport you would suggest for a connection that has the quickest or easier immigration/customs; one flight is through Dulles and the other through Newark. They both have a connection time of 2 hr 50 min. This would be during the first week in July, 2014 between noon and 2:00pm. I am really leery of the less than 3 hour connection time and may have to choose another return flight. If you had a choice, which airport would you choose to reenter the USA?

I am checking on flights back to the USA from Zurich and wondered which airport you would suggest for a connection that has the quickest or easier immigration/customs; one flight is through Dulles and the other through Newark. They both have a connection time of 2 hr 50 min. This would be during the first week in July, 2014 between noon and 2:00pm. I am really leery of the less than 3 hour connection time and may have to choose another return flight. If you had a choice, which airport would you choose to reenter the USA?

I'm not a huge fan of Newark, so when I had to make that decision once, I chose Dulles. It's likely neither are all that great, but I would choose Dulles again over Newark. None of United's hubs for Europe (Chicago, DC and Newark) are all that great for clearing immigration, though.

Assuming you're a U.S. citizen ("reentering the U.S."), I think 2 hrs. 50 mins. would be doable, though more would be better. What is your final destination? If all fights are ticketed together, and you miss your connection, the airline will try to put you on the next flight with available seats, but this may not be the very next seat, so if you're going someplace with few flights, that could be a concern.

Dulles can get thunderstorms in the summer, delaying flights, but Newark may, too. Dulles used to be kind of a drag in going through Immigration and Customs and then going to regular flights, but I understand that has improved.

Archived