Waaaa!! I may have to cancel my cruise!!

camptalcott

Talk about a lousy Monday. My dog has diabetes and now has to have 2 insulin shot a day. The kennel where we board him does not accept dogs that need insulin and I've called just about every reliable kennel and no one boards insulin dependent dogs.

Which means no way can we go away for 7 days.

Had my families first cruise planned for May. :(:(

we need a crying "smilie"

Thanks for letting me whine

Did you check with your vet? Some vets having boarding facilities for dogs & cats. He or she may be able to suggest a place if they do not have facilities.

Definately check with your vet, I'm sure you will find someone to take care of your baby. Best of luck

we just lost our diabetic dog, and we did board her at the vets, but they charged a fortune! Ended up costing more than the cruise.

Definitely try to find a sitter. Un fortunately, diabetic dogs go blind quickly, so if you can have someone stay in your house it would be better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Our dog developed Diabetes 2 days before our 2012 cruise on AOS. She stayed in the Vet's "medical" unit. The other dog stayed in the vet's "regular" boarding area.

They will have time to monitor her there & take great care of her. Our dog is doing great & I hope your baby does also!

Betty

Another vote for in-house pet sitter. Not only will your dog be taken care of, but your house won't be completely empty while you're gone. :)

We used to board our dog (at a wonderful facility) but it's cheaper to have a house-sitter (for us).

As others have said, please check into pet sitters, family members and your vet. I would hate for you to miss a cruise unless all other options were investigated. My father has been "taught" how to care for my sister's diabetic beagle so she can get away now and then. Good luck and let us know how this turns out for you.

Our dog just got diagnosed in May. We have a fantastic pet sitter who takes her in. Start asking around. You'd be surprised at how many people know a good pet sitter. It's well worth the extra money to have somebody keep your dog at their house rather than the kind who will come over to your house a few times per day.

Ours charges about $50 for a 24 hour period, so our 9 day trip is going to cost us about $500 after tip. Well worth it to know that she has somebody to look after her 24/7, and she doesn't have to stay in a cage. Plus, the sitter can make sure that her food is measured and she gets fed at the correct times.

Definitely check with your vet. I had a cat that required twice-daily medication and spent the first few years thinking I couldn't travel. Then I asked my vet and she mentioned that some of the vet techs worked as pet sitters on the side. It was so nice to be able to go on a vacation and know that someone experienced could come by and medicate my cat. Even better, if anything would have come up while we were gone, I knew the vet tech/sitter could get in touch with our vet for any required treatment. Such peace of mind.

check your vet 1st, than look for a pet sitter.my niece does pet sitting and she has a lot of dogs and cats that need shots or medicine not a problem for most of them. good luck in working it out; and with the dog. our little dog has a bad heart so we use the vet where I know she will be medicated right, or my son(depends how long we are gone).

One of our neighbor's teenage daughter loves animals and loves to earn extra money. She likes that she can walk over (early morning and later afternoon). She did pills for one of our cats. She does track and volleyball so normal pt jobs are not viable. She is very responsible (plus mom and dad remind well I suspect). Do you have a responsible neighbor that could do this?

We had a diabetic cat who required insulin and oral medication twice a day... He was diagnosed when he was 6 and lived to be 14, and he got his medication every day on time for those 8 years. It's a big commitment, but it makes a huge difference in the quality of their life.

The idea of giving him a shot and a pill was very overwhelming to me until I did it a few times... it really is a very easy shot to give (and teach others to give) so don't let it itimidate you.

We were able to find some fantastic caretakers who were able to house sit while we were gone, so it didn't stop us from traveling. Our vet does have techs that do some house sitting. You may also want to check with friends who have animals and see if they have any recommendations.

Oh my, so sorry! I agree check area vets, mine specifically ONLY takes the elderly and infirm pets; you can't board a healthy one. If yours doesn't offer it, I'd make a switch- you are going to need someone more attuned to ill pets going forward.

Good luck to your pup and your search!

we have a close friend watching our zoo (house) when we leave on our next trip (1 dove, 8 chickens, 2 dogs, ~100 fish). We are only paying her $100 though. none of them require medication, but the chickens and the dove seem to make a lot of people uneasy. They are the easiest pets i have actually, it's the dogs and fish that are complicated. our family is far away, but our friends are great and always willing to help. also i trust them more with my home than a sitter: they already know where things are and the animals know them. (ever see chickens around a stranger? oh that's a hoot!) i guess i pay my friends $100 plus all the eggs they can gather, lol.

We have a cat that requires medicine twice a day, requires a special powder on the food, and needs special food. We board him at our vet hospital when we travel. They do a fantastic job and charge $17 per day. It's worth it to us to know that he is being taken care of properly. Check with your vet first.

OP I guess you have already figured out that most of us would suggest a pet sitter. Just make sure that if you use a sitter that they have a year, or two, or more experience in giving your fur baby the twice daily injections.

Here comes a prayer to St Francis of Assisi for your baby.

Don't be too quick to assume you'll have to cancel your May cruise...You have plenty of time to figure out this situation...Also try a site in your area called DogVacay this is a website that hooks you and your pet up with private homes...You just might find someone that will be comfortable with your pets needs. Best of luck to you both.

If you cruise is in May, it is probably a perfect job for a college student (especially one that is studying vet stuff). As an adult that recently went back to school (finally graduated in May, since my start about 22 years ago), I see how much students are available to help out with just about anything. If your vet doesn't have a recommendation, ask them about local universities that are training in veterinary medicine.

I'm with everyone else...you should easily be able to find someone to keep your little one for you, so don't cancel just yet! I know I would be more than happy to do it, so there have to be other kindred souls out there with canine diabetes experience who can help you out. Best of luck you you! ;)

Archived