What is the story (if any) behind your "handle"

popcan

When I first signed up for CC my usual handle was already in use so I had to pick a different one. I love to travel and when cruising my routine on sea days is read, take a nap, read, take a nap, etc., so I figured I would just combine two of my favorite things. Travel + nap.

It's my name. Duh. I have no imagination. :rolleyes:

But when I was first reading CC, before I registered, there was a poster I respected, who also used his name as boardname. That I followed suit is sort of a tribute to him.

Mine is South African slang for "guy"; it is a mix of English ("boy") and Afrikaans (diminutive suffix "tjie") which literally means little or small boy but is usually used as in "what a guy/what a boytjie". It is pronounced boy + key.

Mine is the type of motorbike we rode when DH and I were "courting" as we used to say a hundred years ago. A BSA Star twin.
All these years I've been reading yours as "start win" ... it's going to hard to change! :)

Mine is South African slang for "guy"; it is a mix of English ("boy") and Afrikaans (diminutive suffix "tjie") which literally means little or small boy but is usually used as in "what a guy/what a boytjie". It is pronounced boy + key.

Thanks for the lesson in Afrikaans.

Mine is the ID I have used for almost everything and every site on the internet. At the time of the dawning of this electronic era, my dogs were Maggie and Abby = magandab. I've tried to convert to Kate and Cooper, aka, Kaper, but keep going back to magandab.

It was after using it for a while that I got asked, online, if I was Fillipina. No, why? maganda in Tagalog, means beautiful so my screen name/ID would mean beautiful girl (the b short for bebe, though I could be spelling that incorrectly). I thought it was perfect for my Maggie (golden ret.) and Abby (chocolate lab).

Edited by magandab

Well I think it's another easy one with me. I've been called Mumsy by various people over the years. When I came to set up a name for CC Mumsy on its own was not available :( so, following the nautical theme, I became Mumsysailor. :)

I've never come across a 'Mumsy' on the boards but, after all, there are over a million of us on CC. :cool:

Mumsy.

“Serendipity” was our Boat’s name.. In the late 70’s we purchased a piece of property here with the intention of building our retirement home.. When we finally retired, we realized that is exactly where the county planned on building a new bridge.. Instead we put the property up for sale at what we thought was an excellent price..

Three days before Christmas, an investor offered us full price with one stipulation.. He would only put 10% down at that time & pay us the balance with interest six months later.. DH called the county & asked what they were planning to give us for the land.. He was told by the Property Appraiser “I can’t give you a figure now, but would suggest you hold onto your property” We did that & six months later the county offered us 2 ½ times more than what we were asking for it..:D:D:D

We were able to purchase a new boat, as well as put money away.. One of our close Friends suggested we name our boat “Land Scam” However our Niece came up with “Serendipity”.. I added the number 1499, since there are a number of Serendipity’s on CC..

Betty

Edited by serendipity1499

My normal "handle" was taken (BigMac) I got that name from my then 2 YO DD. She used to call me "Big Fat Daddy" and my name is MacDonald so I go by BigMac.

Since BigMac was taken ( and I NEVER see this person post) I used my full name to make a handle.

Edited by martinm

Punki has been my nickname since I was a baby and it is the name I normally use on line, but it was taken, so I added the "C" which is the first letter of my maiden name.

I have, BTW, never seen a post from the other Punki.

This is almost a rerun of a thread that ended about a year ago. That one ran for about 3 years.

I think in that one I indicated that "arewethereyet" won out over "DaddyIHaveToPee". Both inspired by car travel with children.

Yes, I remember that thread, and yes I think I recall you reporting that:D All of us with kids can relate, I'm sure.

I had tried for several years to get my husband to go on a cruise, but to no avail. Finally, two years before he retired from State Farm insurance, he found out he had won their yearly trip which happened to be a Mediteranean cruise. He booked it, unbeknownst to me. As soon as I found out, I hit the Internet to read cruise sites.. CC was, and still is, my favorite. So the sf is State Farm. The rest is self-explanatory. Oh, and the first cruise was on the Noordam and still remains my favorite!