What is the story (if any) behind your "handle"

popcan

It's my name. Duh. I have no imagination. :rolleyes:

But when I was first reading CC, before I registered, there was a poster I respected, who also used his name as boardname. That I followed suit is sort of a tribute to him.

I also have no imagination. I am quite sorry I didn't come up with something unusual. My sister googled me and found something I had posted here about having to cancel a cruise because she didn't offer to---to take care of mom. Oh was she mad---but it was true!! It is smarter to use a handle!

We are Jimmy and Lindalva!
CC recommends that you not use your real name, and IMHO it's a particularly bad idea when you show your location, have a listed phone number, and post on Roll Calls as you do. It's an invitation for burglars in the vicinity of Great Neck! :cool:

Back in the day when BBS systems were king and modems cost real cash. One day I had the urge to call and join a BBS I knew about. I needed a screen name on that first BBS I called up. Looking around I locked eyes on a device on my desk. It was a glorious Emerson AM/FM Clock Radio. All decked out in faux wood trim. Time that would flip every minute. A work of wonder.

Emerson, my new screen name. Some people have asked if it was based on Emerson, Lake, and Palmer. It was not, tho I do have their albums. The...."The" prefix was a matter of not clashing with other screen names on this board.

a few months after i met my now husband i bought him a fun little book that described us as a couple perfectly. 'a lovely love story' by edward monkton.

we've been' lovely other' and 'fierce' dinosaur ever since and even had the book read out at our wedding ...

Awesome topic! Kudos!

Choosing 'specialdiet' was easy, as I get sick from gluten and dairy, and am mostly vegan; my wife gets sick from gluten, dairy, soy and nuts. The reason we cruise is because it's the best way we've found to see a lot of places and not go crazy trying to find food that won't kill us.

Like Sapper1, I have shared this before, and like she, I have a military connection. I served for 28+ years in the U.S. Navy. In U.S. Navy slang, a person who served at least 4 years as an enlisted person, and later became an officer was known as a Mustang. This is probably by folk etymology from horses, from the aspect of "breaking away from the herd."

In any case, I served 13 years as an active duty enlisted person, achieving the rank of Chief Petty Officer. I then was selected to become a temporary officer, with the rank of Ensign (sub-Lieutenant for the Royal Navy equivalent) while retaining my permanent enlisted rank.

I served for more years, and attained the permanent rank of Master Chief Petty Officer (Regimental Sergeant Major/Master Gunnery Sergeant - hi John -equivalent) before being selected for Lieutenant rank (Army Captain equivalent). I then had a choice to become a permanent officer, or revert to my permanent enlisted rank. I chose to become a permanent officer, and closed out my enlisted record. I served several more years, and finally, after 28+ total years, retired from active duty. At that time, I became a retired Mustang, at the rank of Lieutenant Commander, U.S Navy (Retired).

I still work for the U.S. Navy as a civilian (currently furloughed:rolleyes:), and in a couple of years will retire from that and become a truly, really, retired RetiredMustang. (Then we will really start to cruise :D!)

When I joined CC, after lurking for a while, DW suggested the name. It was not taken, so I was able to register as RetiredMustang.

Dave

Edited by RetiredMustang