Transtlantic crossing from liverpool

Officeboy

Pmb1, it really does make sense. Initial departure from Soton, pick up in Liverpool and maybe even Cobh.....both north and south would hopefully be happy and Cunard goes back to the roots. She is just dawdling across the pond at present, with the occasional Hamburg call which for most pax is a pain in the proverbial....

Liverpool is a most interesting city and well worth a visit for the maritime history alone.

Best

Judy

I bet we'll have a chance to call at Liverpool on QM2 in a couple of years, Judy. What do you think of my favorite (so far fantasy only) extended round trip crossing itinerary: NYC-Reykjavik-Southampton-Azores-NYC?

Bon voyage? Paul

I bet we'll have a chance to call at Liverpool on QM2 in a couple of years, Judy. What do you think of my favorite (so far fantasy only) extended round trip crossing itinerary: NYC-Reykjavik-Southampton-Azores-NYC?

Bon voyage? Paul

Sounds good Paul!! A lot can be done in eight days!

Do hope you get to call at Liverpool, there's always a very warm welcome for the Cunarders.

Best

Judy

Some seasonal departures from Liverpool would be fantastic. For international passengers, Manchester Airport is not far away at all and there are plenty flights into Manchester from the US and Middle East hubs as well as the rest of Europe.

I wonder if we might also see P&O offer some sailings from Liverpool.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I think that Southamton should be used for most turnarounds, but certainly not all. Throw Liverpool a bone every once in a while and see what the demand is. I personally would pay more to do a Liverpool TA because Liverpool has way more interest to me than Southampton. I can happily fly from Liverpool or Manchester to explore other parts of Europe just as I can from the less convenient London airports (Southampton airport offers few, more expensive connections).

Bon voyage? Paul

HI , Interesting Itinerary .. The Azores was a port used on American Export

line & Italian Line on the Sunlane route to the Mediterranean.

I wouldn't mind NYC-Hamilton,Bermuda-Southampton.

HI , Interesting Itinerary .. The Azores was a port used on American Export

line & Italian Line on the Sunlane route to the Mediterranean.

I wouldn't mind NYC-Hamilton,Bermuda-Southampton.

Me neither.

I feel so sorry for those new to Cunard that come on this forum looking for advice and guidance only to find such bickering and bitchy comments between those who are supposedly Cunard fans.

To stay on topic l would say that having sailed from Liverpool on a few occasions and in view of the fact that the Cunard building is now once again coming to life it's a no brainer that eventually we shall see Cunard sailings from this port again at some point in the future, it may justify the now longer transatlantic voyages.

Just my opinion

Best

Judy

As a newbie to Cunard, I was reading with interest whilst thinking "I hope we don't get similar on our table!":eek:

For the record,I would LOVE to sail to New York ( or Quebec) from that beautiful building in Liverpool.( Southampton is closer to us)

As a newbie to Cunard, I was reading with interest whilst thinking "I hope we don't get similar on our table!":eek:

For the record,I would LOVE to sail to New York ( or Quebec) from that beautiful building in Liverpool.( Southampton is closer to us)

It's kind of sad how honest discussion by Cunard fans can be taken as vitriol by a newcomer.

I've never come across someone who wouldnt dine with another solely because they don't believe Liverpool is likely to be taken up as a TA destination.

Each to their own :)

• 5 weeks later...
Now that Liverpool has been granted turnaround status The Cunard Building in Liverpool is to be turned into a new cruise terminal that will process baggage handling and check-in.

!

As a born Scouser I would jump at the chance of a one off crossing from Liverpool.

I don't see how the Cunard building could work as a cruise terminal though. It is not on the dock side and it would be very difficult to transport luggage from the building, either along a busy road or across a pedestrianised area.

David.

I don't know how it will be done, if it does indeed happen.

1) the present terminal is a tent, just ok for smaller ships but not possible for QM2. There is only limited car drop off parking.

2) there is no parking facility at the Cunard building, and bus parking would be impossible. Luggage would have to be trucked to the ship, and passengers also.

3) the only way it could possibly work is for car and bus passengers to use an out of town car park and luggage and passengers transported to the tent terminal, though check in would be very difficult and there would still be the passengers arriving from the airport and train station.

Check in can be chaotic at Southampton,Liverpool would. Be something else.

David.

I've only just started reading this thread. I can't wait to sail from Liverpool with Cunard. Southampton supporters who are unwilling to share the pie with Liverpool, had better get used to the idea that the cruise industry in Liverpool is going to grow. It couldn't be more obvious from recent developments. But surely, with the increase in popularity in cruising, there is plenty to go around. Perhaps it should be remembered that if that voyage by Samuel Cunard hadn't taken place 175 years ago, then Southampton wouldn't be in the business now.

As for being an interesting place to visit and having an iconic waterfront, Southampton just isn't in the same league as Liverpool - and I have stayed in and sailed from Southampton. Our Australian friend who, much earlier was rather derogatory about Liverpool, just doesn't know what he's missing. And as for embarkation from the beautiful Cunard building - WOW - and I have been in there.

It's going to happen. It may take time but it will.

Sandie

Well it is looking more & more hopeful now that we will be seeing the Three Queens together in Liverpool for the 175th Anniversary of that first sailing to Canada & America.

As the local newspaper proclaims: http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/cunards-queen-elizabeth-mary-victoria-6297151

and also

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/news-liverpool-lead-175th-anniversary-6300176

Might be quite a rush for tickets when they become available, least wont have to get down to Southampton (6.00am start ) for us.;)