Le Harve to Hornfleur

sofsolnanny

Hi,

looking for information on how to get to Hornfleur from Le Harve by public transport. We will be on Indy docking at Le Harve on wednesday 30th oct.

Thanks in advance.

Hi

Welcome to Cruise Critic :D

There is lots of information on these boards and you might find what you're looking for on the France Ports of Call

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=593

Hope you have a great cruise

Carol

• 2 weeks later...

Hi !

To my mind, the best way is to rent a car...

You can cross the Normandie bridge to go to Honfleur witch is beautiful and if you have the time, go to "Etretat". Look on google, it's very beautiful too.. And the best place to walk "over the mountain" with very nice views !!

Sorry for my bad english !

Edit: it's "Le Havre" & "Honfleur"

Edited by frenchrci

We agree with Frenchrci's post and often do rent cars while in France (on both cruises and lengthy land trips). There are some public buses that run between Le Havre and Honefleur, but their frequency is very poor with gaps sometimes exceeding 1 1/2 hours. It is possible to get the bus schedule and plan your day around the bus schedule, but that is not our idea of making the best use of precious port time. With a car you can drive to Honfleur in about 20 min, and later visit some other places such as nearby Deauville.

Hank

• 1 month later...

Hi !

To my mind, the best way is to rent a car...

You can cross the Normandie bridge to go to Honfleur witch is beautiful and if you have the time, go to "Etretat". Look on google, it's very beautiful too.. And the best place to walk "over the mountain" with very nice views !!

Bonjour, Frenchrci...

On pense à prendre l'autobus de Le Havre à Honfleur en Mai 2014. Avez-vous une opinion?

Merci, Steve et Pete (Pete est le francophone, mais j'essai!)

If you want to stay all the day in Honfleur, it's not a problem because you can do everything by walk. I went there last time in August and i just parked the car during all the day.

In fact, it depends of bus schedules...

But, in my opinion, it would be better to have a car and go directly to Deauville for the morning and then to Honfleur for the afternoon.

It should not be very much more expansive.

--

Il faut s'y mettre, c'est l'occasion ! Il te reste encore quelques mois pour apprendre ! :p

D'ailleurs, en français, sur les forums, on se tutoie directement ("tu" et non pas "vous"). :)

Edited by frenchrci

Bus schedules are very very limited. And even worse on a sunday.

Whether it's practical - or even possible - will depend on your back-on-board time.

http://www.busverts.fr/

There will be taxis at the port, and probably folk on the pier wanting to share. The one-way rate I think is €50, journey time about 25 minutes.

Or, as other posters, rent a car. Then you can also take in the coast road beyond Honfleur to Trouville/Deauville.

But check on latest return times for rentals.

And have cash ready for the tollbridge (€5.30 ? each way)

Yes, most folk spell Le Havre wrong.

You've managed to do that with Honfleur too :p

JB :)

We will be there Friday, 9 May, 07:00 to 20:00.

Bus station (gare routiere) in Le Havre is at the rail station, best place to get off in Honfleur is the bus station (actually just a couple of bus parking spaces), a 5 minute walk from the harbour.

My reading of the timetable (subject to error), & assuming the timetable is the same next May, & assuming your date isn't a public holiday:

From Le Havre:

Bus route 20, 7.49 (arrives Honfleur 8.22)

Bus route 20, 8.40 (arrives 9.13)

then a big gap til

Bus route 50, at 12.42 (arrives 1.15pm).

Bus route 39 at 2.20pm (arrives 2.48pm)

From Honfleur:

Bus route 50, 3pm (arrives Le Havre 3.28)

Bus route 20, 4.06pm (arrives 4.34)

Bus route 20, 5.52pm (arrives 6.23)

Returning to the ship on sundays & public holidays is more problematic - after the 1pm (arrives Le Havre 1.40pm) there's not another til 5.18pm (arrives Le Havre 5.49) so no good for a back-on-board time before 6.30pm.

To repeat, do double-check my reading of the timetable. And check for changes closer to your date.

JB :)

Hi JB (long time no chat),

Am wondering about your thoughts regarding renting a car (Le Havre) from either Europcar or Hertz. We are not big fans of Rentacar (at the port) and are thinking of other options. My thinking is that DW and I can walk from the port to Europcar or Hertz in about 30 min, but my ole mind is having a problem picturing the actual distance/route. Any thoughts?

Hank

Hi JB (long time no chat),

Am wondering about your thoughts regarding renting a car (Le Havre) from either Europcar or Hertz. We are not big fans of Rentacar (at the port) and are thinking of other options. My thinking is that DW and I can walk from the port to Europcar or Hertz in about 30 min, but my ole mind is having a problem picturing the actual distance/route. Any thoughts?

Hank

Hi Hank,

Sorry, can't really help - I've always driven off the X-channel ferry or been met.

Europcar is on Quai de Southampton, just behind the ferry. Easy enough, a 15-20 min walk if you can walk across the entrance to the inner harbour/canal, but quite a long walk round if you can't.

Three Hertz locations in Le Havre quoted on the 'net, one or more is plant hire or somesuch. All walkable though rather boring & run-down territory, but if you rent from Hertz best to double-check which is correct/up-to-date cos a short walk to a wrong 'un makes a long walk to the right one

JB :).

Edited by John Bull

Thanks JB. We had been leaning towards Europcar so your comments were very helpful. We have previously been able to take some short-cuts while walking in the area, but since it's France I guess we can never know for sure until we try :)

Hank

• 1 year later...

That is such a pretty little village; we went there on the way back to

LeHarve from a quick trip to Paris. We were on a private tour, so I can't

help with transportation. We loved it.

Hi,

Can you tell me the name of the tour company? This is what we want to do.

Thanks