Cucinna del Capitano---not so good

Boozebabe

Anyone else think the new Italian restaurant was not so great? I've been there onece on each of my last 2 cruises on the Breeze and I won't go again. It was less than average food. Both times I ate there for lunch. I would have been really mad if I had paid extra for those meals at dinner. The 4 of us ordered different dishes and tasted each others. Nothing was what I'd call "good Italian food". The lasagne was very strange. It had shredded beef that tasted like it was leftovers from another part of the ship. Maybe from the MDR. I love Italian food but was soooooo dissapointed there. I didn't have a complaint about any of the other dining venues on board. It's a shame. Everything tasted like cans of sauce opened up and mixed with pasta. Probably was.

Hi

Did you try it for dinner? A totally awesome meal! I can't wait until I get back on a chip with it. Everything I had from appetizer, soup, entrée and desert was fantastic.

pat

murrells inlet, sc

The food served at lunch is not the same as what's served for dinner. When I was on the Breeze, I found the lunch to be on par with Olive Garden. I'm not a huge fan of OG, but it will suffice in a pinch. So, for free, it's fine.

Dinner, as SPKEMO said, is much like Buca di Beppo. I love Buca, and to me the dinner offerings were great. 100% authentic Italian food? Probably not. But it was tasty.

Exactly - lunch is more like the pasta bar on ships that do not have the Italian restaurant.

There is a COMPLETLEY different menu - and vibe - to the restaurant at night for dinner. We have always found it to be good - on the Breeze and the Magic.

We Ate in the Italian Restaurant on the Breeze for dinner and loved it.

We ate in the PASTA BAR on the Dream....and did not like it at all.

For dinner on the Breeze.....we had starters of minestrone soup.My DH had a shrimp cocktail...and I passed,.( I get full and don't enjoy dinner) The bread, which was served in a basket on the table......was hot and good. My Husband ordered the shrimp dish. He is a slender man with a small appetite. he loved it. Commented on how good it was

I had the Chicken Parm........it was beaten a little thin to me..more like a German dish, but good, but my DH ate half and raved about it. The spaghetti was good..

The dessert......Tirisumu (sp)........My DH said he didn't want one..he was full..and then when it came..I had to fight off his fork.

SERVICE..............wonderful. Just wonderful. I loved the setting. After the Meal the chef came out and talked to people at each table. Our servers..........were delightful. We tipped them extra.

We went to the Steak House too. It was very good. Service was fine. it was on the first night and we were given a free bottle of wine. Tipped them extra too.

We enjoyed both......would do both again...and think you won't regret dining in either.

The SHRIMP dish in the Italian Res..........really moved my husband.

We are going on the Breeze 1st of December and like to have dinner there.

Is it necessary to make reservations ahead of time or can we just do it onboard?

Thanks for all comments.

We waited till the 2nd day and the only availability was the last night of cruise :( which we did well worth it!

We are going on the Breeze 1st of December and like to have dinner there.

Is it necessary to make reservations ahead of time or can we just do it onboard?

Thanks for all comments.

You could email them and have it all done well before you leave - especially of you want it to be a specific night or time.

brcucina@carnival.com

We did this for our group of 8 - in August. It was easy and I heard back from them in like a day - maybe two. I liked knowing that it was all done and not something we had to worry about once we got on board.

Love it for what it is. Family style food. There is a chain in Southern California called Buca di Beppo, and it's very similar to that if not identical.

And to compare it to food in actual Italy is freaking absurd.

Note: I only ate there for dinner.

Buca is all over now, although I did eat at one in Anaheim. That's a good analogy.

As far as what they serve you for lunch (not sure on lasagna), stand and watch, they have all your "stuff" right there in front of you (same as Ji Ji's). You can see all the ingredients. It was definately good quality.

I liked it, but then again, I know what I like and order accordingly.

Love it for what it is. Family style food. There is a chain in Southern California called Buca di Beppo, and it's very similar to that if not identical.

And to compare it to food in actual Italy is freaking absurd.

Note: I only ate there for dinner.

Is there any part any of your cruises you have ever found acceptable?????

I just have to say that I agree with the original poster. I have been to Cucina Del Capitano several times on two different ships... both lunches and dinners. Each time I come out disappointed with the food. Each time I tell myself that I must have just ordered the wrong thing.... and so I give it another try... and each time I have been unhappy with the food.

I'm not a complainer! I totally LOVE Carnival. I'm sure that those who have seen my posts on CC consider me a Carnival cheerleader. I'm Platinum... with 19 Carnival cruises. There is SO MUCH about Carnival that I love. But I've finally decided that Cucina Del Capitano is just not for me.

I don't know if Cucina Del Capitano is true Italian style food or not... as I'm not Italian and have never been to Italy. My only frame of reference is many great experiences at Italian restaurants in California. It seems to me that if there was a restaurant here in California that was identical to Cucina Del Capitano... it wouldn't last long.

I love the IDEA of Cucina Del Capitano... I love the decor... I do not like the menu, and I have not really liked a single thing I've had there. Oh, and the way they sing at your table... that sounded like a fun idea when I first heard about it... but it really seems kind of awkward when it happens!

But don't get me wrong... a Carnival cruise ship is still the place I'd most like to be! You just won't find me at Cucina Del Capitano any more!

While I am not a big fan of the captains kitchen shredded beef and pork is how they do it in Italy. At least that is how it was prepared when I had it and how my Italian grandmother made it too

Again not a big fan of the captains kitchen

Absolutely true. Authentic Italian cooking does not include minced meat - unless we're talking about meatballs.

It's hard to imagine how Italian cooking gets so messed up. For the most part, most recipes are simple with fresh ingredients.

We really enjoyed lunch at the Cucina however, I agree with the OP's comment about the lasagna....while I'm not used to having shredded beef in my lasagna (I'm VERY American, LOL), it did have a leftover-ish taste to it. The spaghetti and meatsauce, however, was really good and our daughter enjoyed the alfredo. We didn't go for dinner.

Archived