Cucinna del Capitano---not so good

Boozebabe

Anyone else think the new Italian restaurant was not so great? I've been there onece on each of my last 2 cruises on the Breeze and I won't go again. It was less than average food. Both times I ate there for lunch. I would have been really mad if I had paid extra for those meals at dinner. The 4 of us ordered different dishes and tasted each others. Nothing was what I'd call "good Italian food". The lasagne was very strange. It had shredded beef that tasted like it was leftovers from another part of the ship. Maybe from the MDR. I love Italian food but was soooooo dissapointed there. I didn't have a complaint about any of the other dining venues on board. It's a shame. Everything tasted like cans of sauce opened up and mixed with pasta. Probably was.

Sad to hear. Are you Italian, or an Italian cook?

I'm not either but I consider myself a good cook who can cook Italian dishes and I often eat at Italian restaurants. Actually Italian cuisine is pretty high on my favorite list. The recipes are supposed to be from the officers family recipes.

I'm not either but I consider myself a good cook who can cook Italian dishes and I often eat at Italian restaurants. Actually Italian cuisine is pretty high on my favorite list. The recipes are supposed to be from the officers family recipes.

Not if the lasagna has shredded beef in it!

YUCK!

I totally agree with you. We ate at Cucinna del Capitano on board the Sunshine. The food was horrible. We just happened to be in Italy and if they were a restaurant on shore, they would be out of business. I could not eat the lasagna either and the meatballs could have bounced across the deck on there own. We fondly refer to it as "Cucinna del Crapitano".

Love it for what it is. Family style food. There is a chain in Southern California called Buca di Beppo, and it's very similar to that if not identical.

And to compare it to food in actual Italy is freaking absurd.

Note: I only ate there for dinner.

Loved it on the Breeze! In fact, we've made reservations for our upcoming Magic cruise for the first night. Definitely a difference between lunch and dinner though, no comparison. Try doing it again at dinner, think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

The food served at lunch is not the same as what's served for dinner. When I was on the Breeze, I found the lunch to be on par with Olive Garden. I'm not a huge fan of OG, but it will suffice in a pinch. So, for free, it's fine.

Dinner, as SPKEMO said, is much like Buca di Beppo. I love Buca, and to me the dinner offerings were great. 100% authentic Italian food? Probably not. But it was tasty.

Loved it on the Breeze! In fact, we've made reservations for our upcoming Magic cruise for the first night. Definitely a difference between lunch and dinner though, no comparison. Try doing it again at dinner, think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

How do you make reservations ahead of time? We're on the Breeze soon and have our steakhouse reservations, but wasn't sure how to make them for this place.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

How do you make reservations ahead of time? We're on the Breeze soon and have our steakhouse reservations, but wasn't sure how to make them for this place.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Send an email to the same person you did for the SH reservations.

I totally agree with you. We ate at Cucinna del Capitano on board the Sunshine. The food was horrible. We just happened to be in Italy and if they were a restaurant on shore, they would be out of business. I could not eat the lasagna either and the meatballs could have bounced across the deck on there own. We fondly refer to it as "Cucinna del Crapitano".

Gotta love cruisecritic....horrible? Could not eat lasagna... out of buisiness..... funny stuff.:cool:

Agree with you.....we were on the Breeze and had dinner reservations twice. Awesome but then again DH is Italian and born there. Spoke Italian to the servers etc and were treated well and food was great. Lunch we did twice and it was good as well. No complaints on our end.

Not if the lasagna has shredded beef in it!

YUCK!

While I am not a big fan of the captains kitchen shredded beef and pork is how they do it in Italy. At least that is how it was prepared when I had it and how my Italian grandmother made it too

Again not a big fan of the captains kitchen

While I am not a big fan of the captains kitchen shredded beef and pork is how they do it in Italy. At least that is how it was prepared when I had it and how my Italian grandmother made it too

Again not a big fan of the captains kitchen

Please don't start me on Italy. I ordered a shrimp dish, and I had eyes looking at me. It was the WHOLE shrimp.

I quickly buried them in my pasta.

Anyone else think the new Italian restaurant was not so great? I've been there onece on each of my last 2 cruises on the Breeze and I won't go again. It was less than average food. Both times I ate there for lunch. I would have been really mad if I had paid extra for those meals at dinner. The 4 of us ordered different dishes and tasted each others. Nothing was what I'd call "good Italian food". The lasagne was very strange. It had shredded beef that tasted like it was leftovers from another part of the ship. Maybe from the MDR. I love Italian food but was soooooo dissapointed there. I didn't have a complaint about any of the other dining venues on board. It's a shame. Everything tasted like cans of sauce opened up and mixed with pasta. Probably was.

Im 2nd generation Italian, and there are many different versions of Lasagna.

Never heard of one with shredded beef:eek:

How could Fettucine Alfredo differ from lunch to dinner? I understand the menu for dinner is different. They offer meatballs at dinner but not at lunch, but Alfredo sauce should be the same.

By the way the bread they served was the same as one served on the Lido Buffet. It was a sad excuse for foccacia bread. At the Cuccina they brought 4 small squares of the bread with our lunch. When we asked for more bread we got a look like we asked the waiter to pay for it himself. He brought back 2 more pieces.

Archived