Carnival Cruise for the FIRST TIME!

ElouiseJames

My friend and i (aged 19 and 18) are going on a 11night carnival cruise to the pacific islands. This is our first cruise ever so we dont know what to expect

I have been reading a lot of reviews from either families or elderly couples..

Is there anyone that can give me opinions and insights of the spirit that are roughly our age..

Also, i have a couple of questions about activities and such.

Is it better to book shore excursions through the cruise or when you get to the islands? Also, cant you just roam the island or the beaches of the islands to your discretion ?

Can board games or movies/dvds be rented on the cruise?

How much would it cost to order room service?

Is there times where no one can be allowed on the decks? and are there certain times where the pools and spas open and close?

Also how much does it cost for spa treatments like facials or massages?

If you can answer any or all of these questions that'd be GREAT! :) and just an overall comment on your experience.

Thank you so so much!

A little reading on the boards will answer your questions.

First, for all the Carnival specific questions, check out the Carnival board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=215

Secondly, it is commonly known and discussed here that cruise line excursions are more expensive that privately arranged tours, or if you chose to do the port on your own or DIY it. The place for some research to figure this out is the Port board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5

Lastly, to see what great ideas others on your cruise have for excursions, tours, rides and other important info, the Roll Call boards are used. Here are Spirit"s:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=333

Find your sailing date and join in.

Board games aren't readily available, but you might have a few. Be prepared to not have all the pieces in the box.

I'm not aware of DVD players in Carnival cabins, except for the big suites.

Room service is included in the price of your cruise, but you should tip the person who delivers the food a couple of dollars.

The decks are always open except if the seas are very rough or if its windy. The pool and spas are usually open for certain hours only, and you'll find out the hours once on board.

Spa treatments are expensive. The facial I had on Carnival was $120. The basic massage was $140.

I do have to ask, are you traveling with family? The reason I ask is, Carnival has a minimum age to cruise without a parent, and that's 21, unless you're married. I just don't want you booking a cruise, paying for it, and then being refused boarding because you don't fulfill the minimum age requirement.

We've booked for Carnival Spirit which is now located in Sydney so there are not tips, and i heard that room service was an additional fee.

Thats a bit pricey but was the facial worth it?

Not travelling with family, it's just me and my friend but in Australia you're an adult at the age of 18 so thats the minimum age (for drinking as well!) so thats not a problem! :) The cruise is all booked and paid for.

Thank you for taking the time to reply!

Are you travelling with someone 25 or older or are you 2 married? 18 and 19 year olds cannot book a cruise unless they have someone 25 or older with them or they have a marriage certificate.

Straight from Carnival's site

(f) Carnival shall refuse boarding to any Guest under the age of twenty-one unless: (1) the Guest is traveling in the same stateroom with an individual twenty-five years or older; (2) traveling in the same stateroom with their spouse; or (3) traveling with a parent or guardian in an accompanying stateroom. Proof of age and/or proof of marriage are required. Carnival shall not be liable to make any refunds or for any damages with respect to any Guest's failure to provide proper proof of age or marriage or otherwise comply with this provision.

We've booked for Carnival Spirit which is now located in Sydney so there are not tips, and i heard that room service was an additional fee.

Thats a bit pricey but was the facial worth it?

Not travelling with family, it's just me and my friend but in Australia you're an adult at the age of 18 so thats the minimum age (for drinking as well!) so thats not a problem! :) The cruise is all booked and paid for.

Thank you for taking the time to reply!

18 year olds are adults in the US too, but the cruiselines still don't allow them to travel alone. You should call Carnival and be sure. It sometimes is not caught until they go to board and they ask for their id and then they're left crying on the dock as the ship sails away with no refund of the money they paid.

Are you travelling with someone 25 or older or are you 2 married? 18 and 19 year olds cannot book a cruise unless they have someone 25 or older with them or they have a marriage certificate.

Straight from Carnival's site

(f) Carnival shall refuse boarding to any Guest under the age of twenty-one unless: (1) the Guest is traveling in the same stateroom with an individual twenty-five years or older; (2) traveling in the same stateroom with their spouse; or (3) traveling with a parent or guardian in an accompanying stateroom. Proof of age and/or proof of marriage are required. Carnival shall not be liable to make any refunds or for any damages with respect to any Guest's failure to provide proper proof of age or marriage or otherwise comply with this provision.

Its a-okay! Im an Australian citizen, travelling from Australia. It's different here.

From the Australian Carnival Website:

Stateroom Age Requirements:

To ensure there is suitable supervision, there needs to be at least one guest 18 years or older in each stateroom.

Thanks thou, i double checked just in case! :)

When is your cruise? Confirm with Carnival or your TA. There seem to be age restrictions by date as well.

http://www.carnival.com.au/~/media/C45BC8334C1C4CE098499C95759320B6.ashx

see page 32 of the brochure.

Also look the the Australia/New Zealand board.

The age restrictions are not a problem, my room-mate is 19 and anyways we'll be sailing after the 7th of Jan. Thats all taken care of.

Sorry, i am new to this site, i will repost my question on the Australian/New Zealand Board. Thanks!

Archived