Mercury vs. Century

polodad

We were on the Century 3 weeks ago & loved it. We just booked on the Mercury. Would love to hear from anyone who has been on both as to similarities and differences.

Norway 11/85

SS Independence 7/91

Star Princess 10/02

Century 4/04

9/3 Celebrity MERCURY

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;9;3;17;45;00&timezone=GMT-0500

we were on both ships, personally prefer the Mercury, think the decor is nicer and the blue lighting in the stairwells is really soothing. A plus also the Mercury has balconies while the Century does not...Both ships are both great,and you will enjoy the Mercury..Happy Sailing....

I have sailed on both as well. I am partial to the Century. They are both really nice ships and you will like the Mercury as well . I prefer the Century since the ship is a bit smaller. I also like the layout of the disco better than the Mercury. I prefer the location of the Martini Bar on the Century which provides a bit more room than that of the Mercury Martini bar. Either ship you will still enjoy it!

Ohhh what a nice topic icon_biggrin.gif

Polodad..not sure if you read any of my reviews...my first Century Review is still listed. If you click on to the right of this page on CENTURY..it will take you to the page that shows "Member Reviews"..you can read it..(If you want)

I wrote a 2nd review after returning In January...but that one NEVER got posted....we are in May now icon_eek.gif.

My Mercury reveiw was done last month in 7 parts.. I did it on this forum. It is somewhere back a few pages...(more than a few).

But I can tell you the Mercury is a bit more modern and a bit larger.

It is a beautiful ship and I had a FANTASTIC weekicon_smile.gif. I met some folks who I think will be my friends for life...Phil and Marti icon_biggrin.gif The Palm Springs Buffet area is a wonderful spot.

Suffice to say...as wonderful a week as it was, my heart belongs to CENTURY.

She is the ship that got me hooked, line and sinker to love cruising. She is a classic...where Mercury is, as I said, more Modern.

I would sail the Mercury again though...don't misunderstand. The Cova Cafe area is lovely. That is really one part of the ship I liked better on the Mercury. If you recall, Cova on Century is near some shops. (Nothing wrong with that)but Cova on Mercury is in "its own area"...Its all couches and chairs and tables for 2 and chairs. And the bar is lovely too.

The Martini Bar on Mercury is much smaller...outside the dining room deck 6. It can get very crowded.

On Century..it is located inside the Crystal Room.

The bars at the pool are different as well. The Mast Bar and Pool Bar are set up......well one is Port Side....underneath..near the railing. The other is Upstairs...

Remember on Century one is underneath the other.

Just a different feeling..not a bad one..just different icon_wink.gif.

I am sure you will have a wonderful time...the staff was fantastic icon_biggrin.gif and food was great too!

I am definitely glad I went!!

And now I will be experiencing something even smaller..as Horizon is not even 50,000 tons! Lets see what that is going to be like icon_smile.gif

Next up...HORIZON Sept 18th to Bermuda!

See My Century and Mercury Pictures at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/lovescruising

We sailed Century in late '02 and early '03, and then finally got to sail Mercury last month. I like Mercury's decor better -- darker blues, lovely "stars"/sky theme in many places (stairwell lighting that changes between night and day, overhead lighting in the shopping area, among other spots) -- also REALLY enjoyed the Palm Springs Pool/Grill area, covered pool and covered dining area BEHIND the buffet, an area that does not exist at all on Century, where you go directly outdoors, heading aft from the buffet area. More windows in the entire buffet area itself, as well. And the arrangement of the hot tubs in the pool area, more widely scattered and elevated, is interesting. All in all, we liked Mercury better, although I will also say that my husband agrees with the post'er who likes Century's Martini Bar better!

TR

Millennium 12/12/04

Mercury 4/04, Infinity 8/03, Century 3/03 & 9/02

As someone who has done the Century, is "doing" the Mercury, having done the M class ships several times----nothing compares!!! The older grand ladies may be nice, but---the M ladies are spectacular!!! There is NO compairson in my opinion! As much as I loved the Century--I would not want to sail her again. She just doesn't offer the options the M class ships do & I like that so much better!

I am looking forward to the Mercury, but we have also booked a butler suite with a huge deck to make this a much more palatable cruise! I know she won't offer the ammenities the Summit did! The GREAT thing about this particuliar cruise will be the friends we are sailing with!!! We're all in Sky suites on Sky deck---what could be better???!!!

Rosie

E-mail me <a href="mailto:JNLROSE@AOL.COM">here</a href>

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;11;26;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

CELEBRITY MERCURY HERE I COME!!!

Hey Phil,

We all have butlers to get us drinks on those over sized balconies---who needs the martini bars anyway???!! We will have WAY too much fun!!! icon_wink.gif

Rosie

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;11;26;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Whoaaaaa, we're in sync!!!! This is GOOD!!! icon_biggrin.gif

You bet, ole Ralphie & me--I AM his daughter, fortunately or unfortunately as the chips may fall!! icon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

Rosie

Archived