HAL to purchase McKinley Chalets near DNP

Saw in today's Anchorage Daily News that HAL has an agreement of sale w/Aramark to purchase the 345 room 42 acre Mckinley Chalets property. Located next to the Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge in the "Glitter Gulch" area just outside Denali National Park. Good news for Alaska fans who prefer cruisetours over independent touring in Alaska - closer to the entrance to Denali National Park and all its wonders - win-win for everyone.:)

I hope they spiff it up a little ... it wasn't in the greatest shape when we were there in late July/early August during our cruisetour.

Gosh, sorry to hear that Lady Chew, It was lovely when we were there a few years ago. Rather rustic cabin type accommodation, but we loved it. The main building and restaurant were beautiful. As you say, may be time for some renovations.

Westmark Hotels already is a subsidiary of HAL.

In that case, they have a lot of work to do IMHO. The place is borderline unacceptable at the prices they charge. I complained last time and got compensated, but nevertheless, the place needs a major facelift. The old 60's Holiday Inn décor needs to go and the staff needs charm school.

Gosh, sorry to hear that Lady Chew, It was lovely when we were there a few years ago. Rather rustic cabin type accommodation, but we loved it. The main building and restaurant were beautiful. As you say, may be time for some renovations.

I agree with Lady Chew..The main building was lovely & the restaurant was very good, but the rustic cabin we stayed in in 2008 needed a spiffing up! Unfortunately we had a mouldy odor in our room which turned me off..

Loved the place when we were there. Great restaurants too. Hope it stays good or gets better.........

On that note, I wish HAL would purchase the Westmark Anchorage Hotel and clean that place up, remodel, renovate, make it what it should be. That place was a major disappointment.

The Anchorage Westmark is owned by Holland America & I agree with you that it could use a complete overhaul! The Westmark in Fairbanks was so much better..

Cheers...Betty

Actually, HAL does not own all of the Westmarks ... they recently sold the one in Tok, and at least a few others are in the process of being sold. We were given this info by Westmark employees in Tok, Fairbanks & Whitehorse. I can't remember which ones are being sold. They are in some of the smaller towns which don't get a lot of tourist traffic anymore.

The one in Anchorage looked great from the outside ... we stayed at the Hilton for some reason. The Westmark in Whitehorse was a little run-down, but at least there was no mold anywhere! We loved the Westmark in Dawson City.

Archived