POLL: Do you prepay your tips?

Do you prepay your gratuities?  

157 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prepay your gratuities?

• I prepay and that's all the cruise staff gets from me!
    • I prepay, then add extra for great service when I'm on board.
    • I do not prepay. I tip on the cruise only.
    • I don't believe in tipping.

When I booked I was given the option to prepay my gratuities. I declined because I base the tip amounts on service and I can't know how that will be ahead of time. Also, I feel like if I'm not tipping on the ship, I won't get the the best service. (I could be wrong on this one.)

But it seemed to me the tip they were going to add was really low...so maybe I should have jumped on it! ;)

What do you do?

To me, the only benefit of pre-paying tips is with groups. If everyone in a group booking does the pre-pay thing, then after the first night they can all mingle and eat at different tables. I think that reasoning is to basically protect all the servers with the different people eating at different tables. :)

I suppose it is also convenient to pre-pay, but I also almost always add an extra tip, as almost always the service warrants it. I would WAY rather pay extra for great service than to have service that doesn't warrant an extra tip, IMHO. ;)

To me, the only benefit of pre-paying tips is with groups. If everyone in a group booking does the pre-pay thing, then after the first night they can all mingle and eat at different tables. I think that reasoning is to basically protect all the servers with the different people eating at different tables. :)

Oh, I didn't even think about the group aspect. Thanks! :)

One reason that we prepay is that it is charged to our Cruise Line Credit Card.

We cash in for about $1,000 a year toward cruises :D

We always tip extra (cash) for the great service. Have only had one time when a steward was really poor. He got the suggested tip and we talked to him and the head steward together at the end of the cruise regarding the service.

Charlie

You can still have tips charged to your cruise line credit card if you wait to tip until your cruise. In the past I have put the recommended tip amount on my ship account while onboard. I think you have to turn in the form by noon on the last full day aboard. I added cash to envelopes of those who gave me exceptional service (usually everyone).

I think some people like to prepay their tips so they don't have to worry about that extra cost once onboard. It's already covered when they paid their cruise balance.

We have only cruised twice. Last year with Celebrity we paid our own tips at the end. I fell in love with cruising and booked a new one as soon as we arrived home. RCI was the only option for our dates.

We are in England and got a good price (we thought so anyway). This included discounts and included tips. I later read that the crew members don't get this money until about two weeks after the cruise - and RCI got it about ten weeks before! This, and the good service made us add a bit more cash with the vouchers at the end of the cruise.

One couple at our table got a 'free' romantic package- breakfast etc included in their price but no prepaid tips. (I didn't ask what they paid so couldn't compare) but I suppose the package was similar to our prepaid tips.

I found it convenient but was bothered about the delay in payment if that is true.

In the past, I've always tipped at the end of the cruise and handed out the envelopes to the staff. This time, however, I had the option while booking to pre-pay. So, I thought it would be convenient for me to not have to keep up with so much cash.

I still plan to tip extra (in cash) while on the cruise. And, I plan to drop a $10 or $20 on day one to our cabin steward -- I read that on another post and thought it was a GREAT idea! Everyone who agreed with that post said they ALWAYS get SUPERIOR service throughout the cruise.

I am concerned though that all the dining room staff and everyone that I pre-paid tips for will think I didn't tip at all if I don't leave (or hand them) an envelope on the last day.

Do they have any way of knowing I've already tipped so they don't feel like I stiffed them? :confused:

We pre-pay our tips but, I've found that it's more convenient for me to wait until I get onboard to do so. I just fill out the form once we're onboard, generally the first or second night, and turn it in. To me this is easier than calling the TA a month or two before the cruise and after final payment. Since I book our cruises over a year out from the sail date, I really hate to pre-pay the tips that far out.

It might be a shame that some people don't believe in tipping but I bet those people also believe that it's up to the employer to actually pay a livable wage to the employee's and charge appropriately for the cruise itself. I personally don't feel that way in that it may promote poor service if the employee's know for a fact they won't be getting tipped at the end of their cruise. It removes an incentive for going the extra mile to make customers happy.

On CCL the tip is added to your account as soon as you embark the ship. It is added to your sign and sail account but you can adjust it up or down depending on the service. I have always left it as is and handed out cash as I see fit. Have always had great service and have never considered reducing the amount. Happy cruising.

We had an awful cruise experience we on Legend of the Seas in March. We gave up eating in the dining room after 3 nights of bad service waiting and waiting and waiting at our table for 2 for a waiter who simply forgot about us while he waited on tables for 8. There were no alternative restaurants, so our only choice was to go to the Windjammer Buffet and wait on ourselves--not my idea of a vacation. I would have been better off ordering room service.

I will never sail another RCI ship with only one dining room. I don't like the feeling of a banquet hall that is noisey and crowded with too many guests to take care of. Sometimes the dining room reminded me of cattle being herded. I prefer more intimate settings with a waiter who can focus on serving me. I am very grateful we did not prepay our tips. Our cabin steward, ended up with an extra cash bonus that would have been our waiters if he ever showed up to wait on us.

Thank goodness there are two alternative restaurants in addition to the dining room and buffet on our upcoming crusie on Jewel of the Seas. Otherwise, I would not be sailing RCI again. We will never prepay tips after the bad experience on LOS. I guess this experience made me realize how much I prefer freestyle dining with options other than one dining room.

On Carnival it is charged to your Sain n Sign account prior to boarding. I would leave that and then tip the extra in cash to each of the crew members that deserved the cash.

On RCI I choose to tip the old fashioned way and do it at the end of the cruise. I do give the room steward $20.00 the first day when I ask for extra towels and such.

mrg0433 - that sounds bad. I would hate not to eat in the dining room. We had a great waiter- Catalin from Rumania on Splendour. He took care to explain everything - if things ran a bit late - he apologised and explained- they rarely did and we had lovely table companions so nothing mattered. We had asked for a small table and were put on a table for 10. There were 3 long married couples, 34 yrs, 36 yrs and 47 yrs; a honeymoon couple - we all got along really well and two young single women who didin't dine every night but again joined in the chat and fun. We had hoped for a table for two but our experience made me realise how good it is to mix!

morning all,

here is another side of the coin. i usally pre pay my tips so that i don't have to think about it anymore!!! lol but since i am a solo cruiser i have found that the room steward is not very attentive to my needs since he is only receiving 1/2 of his regular room tips that week. when i finally realized what was going on here....and trust me i love cruising for all the pamering we get....i decided to take another approach!!! on the first day i give my steward an extra $25...then i let him know that i will not be needing full service everyday. but i would like to have the turn down service at night...that it is ok that i don't get the towel animals..they are cute but hate for them to waste that talent on me..if you have seen one you have seen them all!!! and pretty much keep my room picked up...blah blah blah. i have found that when doing that i get tons of special attention! lol and hey that's what vacations are all about! lol so that is my thoughts for the day!!!

hope to sea ya all on the sea! judy

MONTE>>>i have a few ex's i sure wish would keep their promises!!! :-)

I am very grateful we did not prepay our tips. Our cabin steward, ended up with an extra cash bonus that would have been our waiters if he ever showed up to wait on us.
Sorry about the bad experience. It certainly would have made us reduce or eliminate a tip (along with a conversation with the waiter and Maitre de').

I believe, however, that Carnival is the only line where you can prepay before even boarding. RCI allows you to prepay while on the cruise to avoid any cruch at the last minute looking for cash.

In your case, I would not be using the pre-pay system

Charlie

I believe, however, that Carnival is the only line where you can prepay before even boarding. RCI allows you to prepay while on the cruise to avoid any cruch at the last minute looking for cash.

Actually, Norwegian requires you tip before boarding. $10 a day per guest and they encourage you not to tip anymore. It was very odd. I still tipped extra here and there...but I like to decide who gets what.

I can't believe we have two people who don't believe in tipping! :D

Amy...

Dh and I have had conversations about this...although we ALWAYS tip, DH has gotten accustomed to all-inclusive resorts, where tipping is NOT ALLOWED (staff will get fired if they're accepted taking tips!)...he can't fathom as to why we've spent all this money and then still have to tip (see? the AI mentality!!!)...

I will tip appropriately, most likely at the end of the cruise in cash just so I can base it on the service we get, but it's funny how travel experiences can influence people's thoughts on tipping...

We tried the tipping-on-each-day thing when we had an inside stateroom and the service was no better, and perhaps inferior compared to our D1 stateroom this year. In our D1 stateroom we did additional tipping only when extra request were honored or it appeared something extra was performed. Either way we have our tips put on our SeaPass and the envelopes/vouchers are delivered to our room in plenty of time for us to add extra tips, where warranted (and that's most always), and give out with our personal thanks.

One note of caution: When putting your tips on the sea pass I believe we had to have this settled with guest relations by midnight of the fifth day of our seven day cruise. So, keep your eyes and ears open for the deadline or be prepared to pay cash.

Thanks for the input. I guess I have to move forward and forget this last cruise experience. Our delays were caused by our waiter and not the kitchen. You could tell our food had been sitting a long time when he would finally bring it. When he did not return to take our dessert order, we would gave up after 30 minutes of sitting and waiting.

We had wonderful service at breakfast and lunch time and tipped our other waiters who we felt deserved a little extra. I simply won't ever prepay tips after this bad experience unless I am sailing Norwegian with freestyle dining where you eat at different restaurants each evening. That's one way to avoid a bad meal and bad service.

I do enjoy sitting with other people at breakfast and lunch in the dining room. At dinner time, however, I am often tired and enjoy relaxing with hubby alone. That's why we always request a table for 2. I am really looking forward to our upcoming cruise on Jewel of the Seas. I am sure having two alternative restaurants in addition to the dining room and buffet will make a big difference. I may even consider Room Service on my Balcony one or two nights with a nice bottle of wine--sounds good to me.

Mary

Plymouth, MA

mrg0433 - that sounds bad. I would hate not to eat in the dining room. We had a great waiter- Catalin from Rumania on Splendour. He took care to explain everything - if things ran a bit late - he apologised and explained- they rarely did and we had lovely table companions so nothing mattered. We had asked for a small table and were put on a table for 10. There were 3 long married couples, 34 yrs, 36 yrs and 47 yrs; a honeymoon couple - we all got along really well and two young single women who didin't dine every night but again joined in the chat and fun. We had hoped for a table for two but our experience made me realise how good it is to mix!

Actually, Norwegian requires you tip before boarding. $10 a day per guest and they encourage you not to tip anymore. It was very odd. I still tipped extra here and there...but I like to decide who gets what.
We've been on 5 NCL cruises (Majesty 2x, Norway :( , Wind and Sea)with the last one was last fall.

In all cases, the tip was charged to our account each day. We were always advised that the tip could be modified if we wanted. I don't ever recall being advised not to tip more.

I understand that the POA has it now as a service charge, but I don't know if that is billed daily. From discussions on the boards I guess it is not subject to any change.

Charlie

Archived