Fort Lauderdale switching from Noordam to Maasdam same day

Bluwater7

We are contemplating booking the Noordam on Jan 6. 2014 thru 17Jan and have already booked the Maasdam for the 17 Jan .. both ships in and out of Fort Lauderdale ... is it much of a problem to get from one ship to the other... We dock at 0700 and leave 4 pm ... should be lots of time to change ships. Any hints for making this an easy transition.:confused:

Easy as can be and people do similar often. It's not an unusual thing to do but sounds like fun.

Of course, all that packing can be a nuisance but worth it. :)

Those are our two favorite HAL ships. :)

Easy as can be and people do similar often. It's not an unusual thing to do but sounds like fun.

Of course, all that packing can be a nuisance but worth it. :)

Those are our two favorite HAL ships. :)

Thanks sail ... just wondering how far apart the two ships will be docked.

Would rather not have to pack and unpack but the Maasdam is in drydock until the 17th ... still just an idea.... once on the Maasdam we will be there until the end of March. 70 days ... My favourite ship. :)

You won't know until you arrive back at Port Everglades at which dock each ship will be tied up. You could get lucky and find them next to eachother depending how many ships are there that day. It is not out of the question you could be very close......... but maybe not. :)

How great the time you'll be on Maasdam. :) Sounds wonderful.

We did this a few years ago and was very easy...Don't remember the docks ...but the second cruise left from the dock near the car park..so we go the shuttle from the 1st ship to the car park and walked across the street to our second ship...hopefully yours will work out as easy...enjoy your cruise

Piers 19, 21, 25, and 26 all share the same parking garage, and there is a pedestrian walkway over the road that enables people to cross over from the 25/26 side of the street to the 19/21 side of the street. There are elevators on both sides of the pedestrian walkway.

The HAL preferred piers are 26, 21, and 19, so you could be in luck, especially if those are the only two ships in port that day. 19 is most often used by HAL for S-class ships and Prinsendam. Grand Voyages seem to leave from 26 quite often.

In the event of construction on the terminals, HAL uses piers 2 (the main Princess pier) and 4 (formerly the main MSC pier) as a backup. Those two piers are near each other but far (would need a taxi or maybe shuttle bus if available between the north-port garage and mid-port garage) to reach from the mid-port piers.

We are contemplating booking the Noordam on Jan 6. 2014 thru 17Jan and have already booked the Maasdam for the 17 Jan .. both ships in and out of Fort Lauderdale ... is it much of a problem to get from one ship to the other... We dock at 0700 and leave 4 pm ... should be lots of time to change ships. Any hints for making this an easy transition.:confused:

Sounds like a wonderful idea.

Friday -- Jan 17th -- 2 ships.

Best bet for docks -- Noordam should be at 26 and Maasdam should be at 19.

Can anyone tell us how to find out which pier a ship will dock at on any given date? We will be sailing on the Emerald Princess for 10 days, then switching to the Noordam for 21 days on the 7th of February, 2014. We are a little confused as to which is the best way to get from one ship to the other, so any help that any of you experienced cruisers can give us would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Jane.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Can anyone tell us how to find out which pier a ship will dock at on any given date? We will be sailing on the Emerald Princess for 10 days, then switching to the Noordam for 21 days on the 7th of February, 2014. We are a little confused as to which is the best way to get from one ship to the other, so any help that any of you experienced cruisers can give us would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Jane.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The port has a website which will show the Terminal assignments from about a week before your sailing date. Web Address: https://pevweb01.broward.org/Public/PublicMovements.aspx

However Princess normally have Terminal 2 in the North Port and HAL Terminal 26 in the Mid Port. I think a taxi would be the easiest option, especially with luggage. They are within walkable distance from each other but I don't know if they allow cruise ship guests to walk through the port due to the traffic etc.

Thanks everyone ... have printed the port layout and will hope for the best if we do decide to start out on the 6th.... If I can keep the packing down to bare minimum we should be okay ... thank goodness for laundry perk now that we have made it to 4 star. 81+ days out of winter sounds better than 70. Time will tell.:):)

Here are a few hints , On your first cruise ask the front desk on the ship to be in the last group to get off on the last day , I would take a taxi to the 2nd ship 10$ max and no need to carry bags , Have a book to read till they start boarding your 2nd cruise ... Have a great time we have don it many times ..

Here are a few hints ' date=' On your first cruise ask the front desk on the ship to be in the last group to get off on the last day , I would take a taxi to the 2nd ship 10$ max and no need to carry bags , Have a book to read till they start boarding your 2nd cruise ... Have a great time we have don it many times ..[/quote']

Not all the taxi drivers are happy to do a very short run within the port. A number of years ago our HAL ship disembarked at Pier 4 (there were 17 ships in port that weekend in December and all the HAL terminals were taken) and our car was in the Mid-Port garage as we had embarked at the normal HAL Pier 26. Our porter who helped us with our luggage whispered to us to say nothing about where we were going to the taxi driver until our luggage was locked in his trunk and we were in the back seat of the cab. When we told him 'Mid-Port garage' he was furious! He took us there and then refused to open the trunk for our luggage until we gave him the small fare on the meter and an additional $10.

We are doing the reverse - on Feb 7th going from the Maasdam after 21 days then to the Noordam for 21 more days.:D:D

Good idea not to tell the driver until you and your luggage are in the cab, but be sure to give him a nice tip.Most of the drivers want a longer fare and that's understandable. I would NOT walk my luggage over myself.

We certainly had planned to give him a good tip for the very short trip, but this guy was taking no chances He demanded the extra $10 before he would open the trunk and was screaming at us as we got out of his cab. :eek:

We are doing the reverse - on Feb 7th going from the Maasdam after 21 days then to the Noordam for 21 more days.:D:D

So, you'll be joining us on the Noordam. We get on 1/27 and off on 2/17. Innlady is doing what you're doing too.

Hope we meet up with you on the Maasdam between the 17th and the 07th so we can let you know how we made out ... if we decide to book the Noordam on the 6th ... will be with you on the 17th one way or the other. Ruth:)

We certainly had planned to give him a good tip for the very short trip, but this guy was taking no chances
I can see his point. He has to join the end of the line at the pier 26/garage and waste more no-income time. If I was ever in that situation I would be upfront and tell him I would pay a flat $20, which is about what he'd get (including tip) on a run to the airport.

I can see his point. He has to join the end of the line at the pier 26/garage and waste more no-income time. If I was ever in that situation I would be upfront and tell him I would pay a flat $20, which is about what he'd get (including tip) on a run to the airport.

Thanks like that idea ... if we are last off the Noordam most of the cabs will be gone so if we are upfront about the move to the Maasdam it might be the better way to go. Do appreciate everyones help ... in trying to make our decision. DH is balking a bit.....:)

This guy was very belligerent and aggressive. He also wasn't speaking English and wasn't interested in hearing anything from us. You really need to have been there to understand.

You really need to have been there to understand.
He understandably felt you tricked him. You knew, as did the porter who whispered to you, what the reaction would be. I would avoid that by telling him in advance what the deal was. If you had told him in advance that you'd give him a $10 tip it would all have been avoided.

Archived