I need a sanity check!!

jcallcut

I am booked in a Sunset Veranda on the Silhouette Transatlantic in November of 2014 travelling as a solo. Trying to decide if it is worth the $600 to upgrade to Concierge class C1 or if it makes sense to book a midship C3 cabin for less money. Never had an aft facing cabin before but it is something I always wanted to try. As I look at the Concierge class I like the idea of priority check-in but I do not know if there are any other concierge benefits that I would really use. Looking for opinions.

I have never traveled in the Sunset Veranda, but I always love the photos taken there. If you are one to enjoy sitting outside, I think it is perfect. As for CC, unless you are chasing points I personally do not feel the "perks" are worth it. I know it varies wildly for each cruise, but I have never felt the check in delayed when not in CC.

This a hard one for me to answer as I have always fancied a Sunset Veranda but my husband loves Blu(Aqua class).

I too do not believe CC peaks are worth paying extra for as if it is a Solistice class ship the cabin sizes are the same as every other cabin and other than an extra point there is little substance to the 'perks'

As for Priority boarding the better question would be ' who doesn't have Priority boarding? ' as the qualifying list is so long that we have been quicker in the 'Ordinary ' line on the last two cruises and have asked ( please ) to join it.

Cost ....that's personal however if I thinking of splashing out I try to think what else the money would buy i.e. few bottles of really good wine, a couple of speciality Resturants, excursions,

OR,

New shoes , a new outfit or extra weight allowance on the flight.

This usually helps me make up my mind because if I think I can afford those as well or I'd rather have the different cabin I go for it.

Hope this helps.

I just realized that as a Select Captains Club member I already receive priority boarding so that is not really a true benefit...especially if a significant portion of the ship are Select or Elite members. As you said...the non-priority line may be shorter.

It's really all about the cabin you want rather than any particular class and the extra point if you need or want it. We booked a C2 on a recent cruise so we could get an oversized veranda. That made it special to us since DH loves the veranda and the large one was just so attractive. I would not book a CC for any other benefit unless you are really chasing points.

I think 600 $ for the upgrade is too much as the small perks of Concierge Class don't really matter. The only drawbacks of the Sunset verandas on Solstice-Class ships might be that there is a bit more vibration as these cabins are on the lower decks whereas C1's and the suites are higher up. But almost all of them have no coverage , meaning no protection from the sun or from rain. If both things don't bother you , I wouldn't change. The only thing I'd consider would be either an AQ cabin, if available at a good price or a midships cabin to port side ( more sun on the westbound transatlantics) .

But in your SV you'll have the view of the wake!

2 determining factors: Will the weather be nice enough to spend time on the balcony and do you mind that it is a very long walk to get anywhere from your cabin? We had an SV on the Reflection in the Caribbean, but we really didn't spend time on the balcony because it was much smaller than what we had experienced on the M- class ships, and also because there was so much to do outside of the cabin that we were never there. The sunset bar and the Lawn Club in general provides a lot of relaxing space and great aft views, so if you can save some money and book a C3, you can use the savings for a Specialty restaurant or anything else that interests you.

Only once did we book a sunset view aft cabin. It was not on Celebrity--but on a Princess ship a few years ago. We did have a bit of vibration, but after a short time, we rather enjoyed the feeling, and when we went home, we missed the feel! We also enjoyed the view. It is a longer walk to everywhere--but that helps keep your clothes from shrinking!

As others have said, “everyone” has “priority” boarding. You just get in the shortest line, which is often just the regular one. So, I vote for Sunset! Enjoy your cruise.

I just realized that as a Select Captains Club member I already receive priority boarding so that is not really a true benefit...especially if a significant portion of the ship are Select or Elite members. As you said...the non-priority line may be shorter.

I've done a aft cabin on RCCL and loved it. I am booked on equinox next month in a CC. The price was about the same but I wanted the extra point toward elite (I too am select).

Dena

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I am booked in a Sunset Veranda on the Silhouette Transatlantic in November of 2014 travelling as a solo. Trying to decide if it is worth the $600 to upgrade to Concierge class C1 or if it makes sense to book a midship C3 cabin for less money. Never had an aft facing cabin before but it is something I always wanted to try. As I look at the Concierge class I like the idea of priority check-in but I do not know if there are any other concierge benefits that I would really use. Looking for opinions.

In which cabin are you booked? Not all SV balconies are of the same size. The largest ones are 8348, 7366 and 6314.

Check this post for a picture (it's of Reflection but should apply for Silhouette as well)

We stayed in 7366 (largest SV balcony located midship on that floor) and totally loved it. This is the view you get:

P1110889-Edit-XL.jpg

Given the number of complaints I have seen about soot problems and the lack of shelter if it rains I am beginning to rethink my thoughts of an aft facing cabin in favor of a C3 which also saves me a couple hundred dollars. I have ruled out aqua class. Just not enough for me there for the extra cost. Given the cruise is a transatlantic during the first half of November the weather could be a bit dicey and I would hate to pay for the balcony and never be able to use it. I figure at least the C3 cabins have the setback that will offer some protection from the weather.

I don't know...I keep going back and forth.

We had our first SV on the Equinox this past summer in the Med. While we enjoyed the balcony (most of the time) and the privacy this location provides (it is quiet because you only have the other passengers staying back there walking by), we would not book one in the future. Our primary issues were the increased vibration and when the wind was right, the balcony was covered in soot from the ship (we found this 4 times on our 12 night sailing). I would suggest the mid ship location.

• 2 years later...
In which cabin are you booked? Not all SV balconies are of the same size. The largest ones are 8348, 7366 and 6314.

Check this post for a picture (it's of Reflection but should apply for Silhouette as well)

We stayed in 7366 (largest SV balcony located midship on that floor) and totally loved it. This is the view you get:

P1110889-Edit-XL.jpg

This is the exact cabin I just booked. I was on the fence, saw your picture, and instantly booked.

Thank you!

;)

Given the number of complaints I have seen about soot problems and the lack of shelter if it rains I am beginning to rethink my thoughts of an aft facing cabin in favor of a C3 which also saves me a couple hundred dollars. I have ruled out aqua class. Just not enough for me there for the extra cost. Given the cruise is a transatlantic during the first half of November the weather could be a bit dicey and I would hate to pay for the balcony and never be able to use it. I figure at least the C3 cabins have the setback that will offer some protection from the weather.

I don't know...I keep going back and forth.

I can't help with this particular ship but I can tell you what it's like in the first week of November in the North Atlantic - BURRRRRR! When I went, it was gorgeously sunny. Not a cloud in the sky for the majority of my cruise so I'd happily walk out and freeze like a popsicle. It literally took my breath away it, was so cold. If I were you, I'd save the money and go with the least expensive balcony cabin. Even though the SV's are awesome, they're better in warmer climates.