Royal Caribbean crusted couple did NCL EPIC (Sep 22)

Verfai

Hey all,

I will try to do a “short” different type review, for one not to boar you all to death with just another review, but second to rather bring a not per say a true review, but more a comparison in pros and cons by us between Royal Caribbean and NCL.

We are a couple on our early 30s from Flanders in Belgium, we have done 5 Royal Caribbean cruises and we thought after the WAAAAAY to big Allure of the Seas that it was time to try something else.

We had heard a lot of good from NCL, so we decided to try the EPIC, we found a great price (flights and cruise fare) so we went ahead and booked the cruise.

The moral, for those that do not want to do the entire read (don’t blame ya), we will not book an NCL cruise again for now, unless they would give a serious discount to try and win us back (don’t flame me on this, we know they don’t care and that they will not do so, no need to repeat this sure some will).

It’s not all bad, you will need to read on to know :D, but we mainly hated the freestyle concept. In our opinion it does not work on this ship (or was it because it was in port heavy Europe?), 85% of the pax decide to eat and drink at the same time, 45min of waiting time is no longer “do what you want, when you want” imo….Or did I understand this wrong??? The food, especially at dinner was always COLD and missing taste (except for the specialty restaurants)...So not really a reword for waiting 45min. Drinks where expensive and more watered down than what we are used to, ex. making a long island ice tea with one bottle of alcohol, lemon juice and coke and daring to charge 11, something $$$ for it..!? LOL.

We did have a great most memorable cruise, but mainly due to the incredible people we met via cruise critic, I hope we see each other again someday and stay in touch. Not one day did we end up in bed before 1am (mostly even later, or is that earlier??) with these guys :D.

Here we go!

Con, the look of the ship…I think she looks like a World War II dreadnaught ship rather than a cruise ship.

Pro, the inside she is extremely modern & clean.

Con, The rooms (we had a mid-ship balcony deck 11) are puny, I don’t get how a family should be able to fit in there, even we as a couple thought we were in each other’s way at a lot of times.

Pro, our room attendant did an incredible job, never had we had such a decent guy or such a clean room on all our past cruises.

Con, our balcony could have used a lick of paint.

Pro, the balcony is roomy (certainly compared to the inside room) and very private, you need to be a circus performer to be able to look into the neighboring room :D.

Con, you get lost real fast with the bunch of corridors this ship has ;).

Pro, lunch at the great outdoors is well prepared, a lot of ships miss an outside dining venue imo.

Con, it does get really busy over there at prime lunch time.

Pro, personal is armed to the teeth with hand sanitizers holding everybody back from getting food before you are “happy, happy, washy, washy”.

Con, the people mix on the ship was nuts, at breakfast I was surprised that fights did not break out, it was packed and a lot of strange scruffy people just wondering, eating whilst walking, dropping stuff and or bumping into other pax…Like me.

Pro, the staff (at least most of them) always had a smile on and seemed to like there job and also do a good job clearing tables, keeping the ship clean.

Con, for some reason the higher ranking supervisors (not even officers I guess) that have the hard knock life of watching staff clear & clean tables, our not even allowed to touch or help apparently…They have a to hard job of looking at people, looking for place to sit…Rather than picking up a cloth and clearing the table for them…Yes there is a need for supervisors, but in my opinion when over busy, you help out instead of shooting root in the floor.

Pro, the egg station (in the buffet) is great, as are all the types breads on this ship…The cheese bread we had at the Brazilian steak house was the BOMB…Had a turkey and beef sandwich one day, what an incredible taste.

Con, once outside and time to chill looking for a sun bed…They all looked very used, some I would even categorized as destroyed…NCL, change your sun beds from time to time.

Pro, never ever did we have problems finding a sun bed at any time, not even at Spice.

Con, you had to choose between over silent and rest at Spice or be bombarded with music and running around kids around the main pools.

Pro, a heated pool was new to us, loved it, other pools on cruise ships are always freeeeezing.

Con, why do they close down hot tubs at midnight, we always enjoy doing a 15min bubble before hitting the sack.

Pro, the temperature of the hot tubs are way better on NCL(cooler)…RCI makes you aware how lobsters feel whilst they are boiling.

Con, the dress up or not night…Who came up with that??? You do a formal night or you don’t…And what that blitz visit of 8 min by the captain is all about making a toast in Norwegian and then after pictures disappearing…All within 30 min!? They need to flare that event up a bit.

Pro, as for theme night, the white hot party was the bomb and loads of fun…Not a lot of people where dressed all white, a lot of photographers wanted to take our picture and a lot of people where just staring that we had an entire group dressed in white.

Con, 19$ for one small picture excluding tax and gratuities!? I don’t think so, NCL please spend money recycling all the pictures you printed of us.

Pro, blue man group, they were just excellent.

Con, Legends in concert….Errrrrr, are they or are they not supposed to sound the same as the real thing??? At some point it was good and funny…But the Tom Jones character, except for his clothes did not look nor sound like the real thing…Both shows where always packed, so if you did not have reserved seating, don’t count on getting in.

Pro, thank god for Blizz bar, the ship runs empty after 11pm, except for Blizz where when they kick the karaoke people out, NCL has some pretty decent DJ’s standing by the make you dance into the night.

I’ve run out of things to say now...

except for these last things :D

We did tepanyaki, it was great and the first time we had boiling hot food on the cruise, well worth the money, I do suggest you try and do in a group, more fun, the chefs do an excellent job

The Brazilian steak house is also great, the staff in there are absolutely wonderful and really do know what they are talking about….We did find this venue to be pretty empty.

As for excursions,

We did the mount Vesuvius 4x4 hike via NCL, which was nice no complaints except that, just don’t do it if you have issues with heights.

We did Florence on your own via NCL, worked great and three hours of free time is more than enough to see the sights (not go in them). The afterwards wine tasting is loads of fun…The leather factory tourist trap at the end is absolutely worthless (that is not written in the itinerary of the excursion btw).

Sorry I don’t really have a lot of pictures of the cruise except for people pictures of whom I don't have promotion to post them.

But feel free to ask any question.

too bad you did not enjoy your Epic experience. I,OTOH, love, love the Epic. but I also sailed her Caribbean itineraries. Never experienced any of the problems you mentioned. But at least you tried it, decided its not for you. Therefore, you can spend your vacation dollars on what is a better value for you.

thanks for sharing! happy cruising!!

... we mainly hated the freestyle concept. In our opinion it does not work on this ship (or was it because it was in port heavy Europe?), 85% of the pax decide to eat and drink at the same time, 45min of waiting time is no longer “do what you want, when you want” imo….Or did I understand this wrong???

First of all, thanks for your honest and somewhat detailed review of pros and cons.

I have to agree that what you described on the quote above might be a problem for some - if they choose to eat at the peak hour every night. We were on Epic on a full Caribbean sailing and never had to wait more than couple of minutes for dinner because we knew to avoid the peak times.

It's exactly the same as regular restaurants on land and I'm completely fine with it - better than having to eat at pre-designated time every night, but that is just my personal preference. Overall I prefer freestyle because I'm not forced to do anything at any time - it doesn't mean that others wouldn't have the same thoughts too.

I agree the sun beds on Epic need replacing. A few weeks ago when I was onboard there was an NCL women walking around with a clipboard and camera with a couple of officers looking at chipped tiles, things needing painting etc.. And she took pics and notes of the sun beds.

Whether they get replaced soon or has to wait until it's first dry dock in 2015 we will see!

If you were waiting 45mins I take it you enjoyed the free drink of cheap bubbly whilst you waited. Most do t even ask for the vouchers!

Never had problems with other passengers and at busy times the supervising officer on deck or maître D in a restaurant was often see helping out!

Drinks were about the same price as when I was last on RCI, will see as back on a RCI ship next May.

The crowding in the main restaurant is down to the med itinerary. Even the crew said they were trying everything to get people to eat earlier but whereas you usually get Americans eating early from 5/6PM and Europeans later 7/8PM with long days ashore trips getting back at 5PM everyone was eating at the later slot!

I know what you were missing to enjoy it fully.... ME! :D

If only we would ever get on a ship together again "Lara"...I Would add this group in there as to make it complete...People would sing songs of that future to be sailing :D LOL

too bad you did not enjoy your Epic experience. I,OTOH, love, love the Epic. but I also sailed her Caribbean itineraries. Never experienced any of the problems you mentioned. But at least you tried it, decided its not for you. Therefore, you can spend your vacation dollars on what is a better value for you.

thanks for sharing! happy cruising!!

Ow indeed, we don't regret it at all, we wanted to try it, but our Euros will not go to NCL again unless something really would change our minds.

I agree the sun beds on Epic need replacing. A few weeks ago when I was onboard there was an NCL women walking around with a clipboard and camera with a couple of officers looking at chipped tiles, things needing painting etc.. And she took pics and notes of the sun beds.

Whether they get replaced soon or has to wait until it's first dry dock in 2015 we will see!

If you were waiting 45mins I take it you enjoyed the free drink of cheap bubbly whilst you waited. Most do t even ask for the vouchers!

Never had problems with other passengers and at busy times the supervising officer on deck or maître D in a restaurant was often see helping out!

Drinks were about the same price as when I was last on RCI, will see as back on a RCI ship next May.

The crowding in the main restaurant is down to the med itinerary. Even the crew said they were trying everything to get people to eat earlier but whereas you usually get Americans eating early from 5/6PM and Europeans later 7/8PM with long days ashore trips getting back at 5PM everyone was eating at the later slot!

They where repairing a lot of stuff, but defiantly not replacing sun beds.

And yes, I do have to give NCL the good point that they give a free glass of bubbles when waiting, on RCI on "my time dining" you can basically go to hell when you have to wait...We did not enjoy that either, tried it once on Navigator, never again was our conclusion.

We enjoy meeting the people at dinner, on Allure we even became friends :D...That's why we cruise, even some like the beautiful lara_lox decide to stick around, even that we did not meet at dinner ;) LOL

First of all, thanks for your honest and somewhat detailed review of pros and cons.

I have to agree that what you described on the quote above might be a problem for some - if they choose to eat at the peak hour every night. We were on Epic on a full Caribbean sailing and never had to wait more than couple of minutes for dinner because we knew to avoid the peak times.

It's exactly the same as regular restaurants on land and I'm completely fine with it - better than having to eat at pre-designated time every night, but that is just my personal preference. Overall I prefer freestyle because I'm not forced to do anything at any time - it doesn't mean that others wouldn't have the same thoughts too.

We had a feeling it would be different with more Americans on board that tend to eat earlier...But still, having to change your mind (or extensive waiting) because of over crowded venues is no longer "do what you want, when you want" ;)

We had a feeling it would be different with more Americans on board that tend to eat earlier...But still, having to change your mind (or extensive waiting) because of over crowded venues is no longer "do what you want, when you want" ;)

Don't hang your hat on the literal interpretation of "do what you want, when you want". Sure, Freestyle (not a concept, btw, but it is the way we live every single day...just on a cruise ship) allows you to choose your dining time, but whose fault is it that you decide to eat (for example) at 8:00 and half the rest of the ship decides to eat at 7:45? We can't all choose to do the same thing at the same time!

That said, it seems like most of your issues involve the other guests and their behavior...which, of course, is unique to your sailing...don't shut out your future options over the behavior of a group.

Don't hang your hat on the literal interpretation of "do what you want, when you want". Sure, Freestyle (not a concept, btw, but it is the way we live every single day...just on a cruise ship) allows you to choose your dining time, but whose fault is it that you decide to eat (for example) at 8:00 and half the rest of the ship decides to eat at 7:45? We can't all choose to do the same thing at the same time!

That said, it seems like most of your issues involve the other guests and their behavior...which, of course, is unique to your sailing...don't shut out your future options over the behavior of a group.

This is going to be flamed, but what the heck...One of the main things that scare a lot of people on cruising is the urban ledged that cruising involves wearing a tux every day, perfect manners, ball room dancing, only old folks (no offence) and extremely expensive....NCL profiles itself as the liner that openly goes against the urban ledged...So they attract a different passenger mix imo...I am NOT saying that RCI is perfect, far from if you read our reviews, but we did not feel NCL was up to par on this sailing...The waits and the cold food was just not done imo.

I do highly agree with you, that it might have been a total different experience on the next sailing with other people (no actually for the people we met, but I get your point ;) ) or in in another sea like the hot hot hot Caribbean :D

This is going to be flamed, but what the heck...One of the main things that scare a lot of people on cruising is the urban ledged that cruising involves wearing a tux every day, perfect manners, ball room dancing, only old folks (no offence) and extremely expensive....NCL profiles itself as the liner that openly goes against the urban ledged...So they attract a different passenger mix imo...I am NOT saying that RCI is perfect, far from if you read our reviews, but we did not feel NCL was up to par on this sailing...The waits and the cold food was just not done imo.

I do highly agree with you, that it might have been a total different experience on the next sailing with other people (no actually for the people we met, but I get your point ;) ) or in in another sea like the hot hot hot Caribbean :D

I don't know why you would get flamed for what you said. Were it me, I wouldn't have blamed the cruise line because I had to wait...as waiting is a result of my fellow passengers getting there ahead of me...but again, that is just me. Fact is, dining rooms (no matter how large) only have a certain number of chairs...we simply cannot all eat at the same time. This is true onboard ship, and it is true in the restaurants we eat in at home.

We can't control the habits of our fellow passengers, but we shouldn't let their behavior ruin our vacation either.

Thanks for your great review. We will be on Epic, our first ncl, in a week. We've signed up for the Florence on own with wine tasting at castle after. Can you tell me how many busses were involved? That's my main concern, as we've done wine tastings on other lines, where it was a mass of people all pushing trying to get up to the table with the wine. We definitely don't want that experience. Was this more organized?

Epic is one NCL ship I have no desire to sail on. It's so top heavy looking, and looks like a big box sailing. I don't care for the concept of the wavy cabins or the bathrooms.

As far as dining times, we have a child so we tend to eat early. Not to mention that we are early risers and going to bed on a full stomach doesn't appeal to us. My understanding is that Americans typically eat earlier than Europeans as well. However, with a port-intensive cruise, I'd be eating in those exotic ports instead of on the ship!

That is why I stated that we had a blast :D whatever happened with the liner...We love cruising :D

That's why I find it odd that you don't want to sail NCL again. You had a good time EXCEPT for the behavior of the other guests. Unless you sail with those exact same guests again, the behavior of the guests on the next cruise will not be the same....so if the source of your issues was removed, why abandon a line on which you had a blast?

I do understand that EVERYTHING wasn't perfect...but seriously, what is?

It’s not all bad, you will need to read on to know :D, but we mainly hated the freestyle concept. In our opinion it does not work on this ship (or was it because it was in port heavy Europe?), 85% of the pax decide to eat and drink at the same time, 45min of waiting time is no longer “do what you want, when you want” imo….Or did I understand this wrong??? The food, especially at dinner was always COLD and missing taste (except for the specialty restaurants)...So not really a reword for waiting 45min.

Thank you for the review. I am also very apprehensive about the freestyle dining on larger ncl ships. I have been reading many reviews and it sounds to me the "what you want whenever you want" is no more than a marketing phrase. I will experience it myself in January and see how it works for us.

Just curious, were you able to make reservations for MDR?

Thank you very much for your candid and respectful review of your vacation experience on NCL . I get it, but I am very glad you had a good time. I can't say that when I was in my 30's my cruising expectations were not the same. No cruise line is everything to everyone. :) We are all looking for a different vacation; which is a good thing.

I, personally, have been cruising for about 25 years on most of the mid-market cruise lines. NCL is my latest cruise line and currently my favorite cruise line for a variety of reasons, First I have to say cruising has changed and one cannot expect the luxury cruising at a mid-level cost, just like the airlines in the US. My taste has also changed; my expectations have changed also. I believe now if you want the luxury cruising with the exceptional food, service etc., you must pay for it; just the cruising days of past.

I have also found that one cruise does not make a full experience on a cruise line. I have had really good and kind of bad experiences on all of the cruise lines I have cruised on.

I wish you well in your cruising future; please continue to be open to new cruising opportunities; ships, cruise lines and itineraries. :)

Happy cruising all. :D

That's why I find it odd that you don't want to sail NCL again. You had a good time EXCEPT for the behavior of the other guests. Unless you sail with those exact same guests again, the behavior of the guests on the next cruise will not be the same....so if the source of your issues was removed, why abandon a line on which you had a blast?

I do understand that EVERYTHING wasn't perfect...but seriously, what is?

You read it as the most points are the other on board, I don't...

The food was terrible mainly because it was always cold...That alone is a reason for us not to go back to a liner that thinks serving that is up to par.

The drinks where more expensive and watered down.

And mostly we did not care for the freestyle concept, or how it was implemented on this ship/sailing.

Sorry to many other liners that we can still try in the future.

Thanks for your great review. We will be on Epic, our first ncl, in a week. We've signed up for the Florence on own with wine tasting at castle after. Can you tell me how many busses were involved? That's my main concern, as we've done wine tastings on other lines, where it was a mass of people all pushing trying to get up to the table with the wine. We definitely don't want that experience. Was this more organized?

There was only one bus, not even filled up fully...And don't worry you are all seated at a table with 5 seats, there are small bites on a plate ready and you get to taste 4 glasses of wine, they serve you, you don't get seconds :D

Thank you for the review. I am also very apprehensive about the freestyle dining on larger ncl ships. I have been reading many reviews and it sounds to me the "what you want whenever you want" is no more than a marketing phrase. I will experience it myself in January and see how it works for us.

Just curious, were you able to make reservations for MDR?

No, you just show up and ask if they have room for your party, than they check and tell you how long you have to wait, or tell you that the wait at the other dining room is better.

Epic is one NCL ship I have no desire to sail on. It's so top heavy looking, and looks like a big box sailing. I don't care for the concept of the wavy cabins or the bathrooms.

As far as dining times, we have a child so we tend to eat early. Not to mention that we are early risers and going to bed on a full stomach doesn't appeal to us. My understanding is that Americans typically eat earlier than Europeans as well. However, with a port-intensive cruise, I'd be eating in those exotic ports instead of on the ship!

On all our past cruises we noticed that the US crowd eats early and the EU crowd later, nothing wrong with that we say :D...Eating at the ports is an idea, but you did pay for dinner in your cruise fare, we would not let that go to waste :D

Archived