Passport Question - Child to Adult's

Mysticks1

My daughter is currently booked on two Carnival cruises, one in December and one in May. She had a children's passport that has expired. She is now 19 and will need an adult passport. Has anyone done this recently? Does she have to go through the adult application process or is there a different application/process since she had the children's passport. I have searched the passport website and didn't see and answer and I have emailed the passport office but with the shutdown I am not sure I will get an answer from them.

Only looking for an answer to this question. I am aware that passports aren't required and that she can cruise with a Birth Certificate but we don't cruise without a passport.

My daughter is currently booked on two Carnival cruises, one in December and one in May. She had a children's passport that has expired. She is now 19 and will need an adult passport. Has anyone done this recently? Does she have to go through the adult application process or is there a different application/process since she had the children's passport. I have searched the passport website and didn't see and answer and I have emailed the passport office but with the shutdown I am not sure I will get an answer from them.

Only looking for an answer to this question. I am aware that passports aren't required and that she can cruise with a Birth Certificate but we don't cruise without a passport.

Kudos to you for preparing for the unexpected when traveling abroad.

She will have to go thru the adult process, but I believe without the need for the interview.

My DS#2 just went from a child passport to an adult this past Feb. We had to start fresh with an adult application, however, we did hand in his child passport when we did the process at the post office. Not sure how it works if the passport is expired.. because I'm not sure if they allow it to be used as your form of ID, my son was able. We also had his birth certificate and school ID.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2

Your daughter will be applying for an adult passport in the same manner as if she had never had a passport before. That is, she will applying as a first-time applicant because, according the requirements of a "First Time Applicant", her previous U.S. passport was issued when she was under age 16.

Please read the following link from the State Department website to see exactly how your daughter must proceed to submit her passport application:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/first/first_830.html

Your daughter's previous passport SHOULD be accepted as primary evidence of her U.S. citizenship even though it has expired. However, I'm not always confident in the knowledge of passport clerks at the post office, so she might want to have a certified copy of her birth certificate in hand as well in case they question the expired passport.

Thanks to everyone for your answers. I was thinking that we would have to apply again with the adult application. She has a drivers license and we have the birth certificate as well as the expired passport so we will just fill out the application and take everything with us to the passport office here in town.

Kudos to you for preparing for the unexpected when traveling abroad.

She will have to go thru the adult process, but I believe without the need for the interview.

What interview? We just filled out the papers and mailed them in with two photos.

Archived