Side of ship for best in-port balcony views in Dubrovnik and Split (Norwegian Jade)

mikeerdas

Looking at a Jade sailing with the following ports and wondered which side of the ship, Port or Starboard, would offer the best in-port views overall:

Venice > Dubrovnik > Piraeus > Izmir > Split > Venice

Guessing there's not much of a view in Piraeus or Izmir on either side.

Been on the Jade's Greek Isles itinerary out of Venice and you're going to see San Marco either on the way out or upon your return.

So mostly wondering about Dubrovnik and Split.

Lastly, my wife and I have only been in a balcony cabin once--on the Jade Greek isles sailing. We typically book inside staterooms, figuring we're there to enjoy the ports. But a week before sailing, Norwegian phoned us (we'd booked direct with them) and offered us a balcony for only $300 total. Best money I've ever spent. Seeing places like Santorini, etc, from our balcony was an incredible experience. Hoping we're not now spoiled.

Long story short, for folks who mostly book inside staterooms--and only occasionally splurge for a balcony--is this an itinerary where one should splurge or not? We realize that for some, a balcony or oceanview is a Must Do for every cruise. And that's definitely not the case for us. So if you're opining on balcony or no balcony for this itinerary, please state your bias if you have one. :-)

Either side of the ship would be fine. The best views when you arrive to Dubrovnik is from the open deck.

Keith

Thanks Keith.

Anyone who doesn't always book a balcony or oceanview have an opinion on whether this itinerary is one where you would, or would not, splurge for a balcony? Really enjoyed having one on the Greek Isles itinerary out of Venice. Not sure I need one for this cruise I'm considering.

Anyone who doesn't always book a balcony or oceanview have an opinion on whether this itinerary is one where you would, or would not, splurge for a balcony? Really enjoyed having one on the Greek Isles itinerary out of Venice. Not sure I need one for this cruise I'm considering.

I don't fall under that category but still you are sailing in same general area as Greek Isles with the stops in continental Greece and Turkey so not taking the days in ports into consideration, the scenery while on the way should be pretty much the same - you will still sail very close to Greek coastline (on the starboard side) for about a day coming back.

You want port side simply for the sail away from Venice...all else will pale in comparison with that. We were starboard when we sailed out of Venice, and you cannot see St Mark's square from that side. Athens and Izmir are industrial ports so it doesn't matter. Dubrovnik is pretty on both sides....but the side with the bridge is better...depends on how ship docks which will be a toss up. Split...never been there...again, I cannot stress how amazing sail away from Venice is. If we get the chance to book that again, we will always book Port side of ship which is the left side if you are on the ship looking at the bow (front).

Archived