Hurricane Worries

ramidon1

What is the general policy of cruiselines if a hurricane cancels a cruise? I am scheduled for a Windjammer cruise out of Miami to the Bahamas for 7/15 & DID NOT buy the insurance....(I don't know why I didn't...I did for my last 2 cruises! Seems like a good idea now!) Would they even cancel or would they just divert? I don't mind if they cancel & we got a cruise credit...I just don't want to be out all the $$ for nothing!

Would the insurance even help with such a situation? (That's why I did not buy it, I'm not sure when it would actually be beneficial.)

Cruise lines DO NOT cancel cruises because of hurricanes. They just change ports. Once in Nassau the Voyager came there from the western Carb. because a hurricane was going where they were supposed to go. A hurricane can prevent a ship from getting back or going but then you get to cruise a day or so longer or get perks for cruise delay! Don't worry, your cruise will cruise!

But Windjammer is a different story. They are not your typical cruise line. We did a Windjammer for our Honeymoon a couple years back and it was fabulous...you are in for a real treat. Because the ships are so small, yes indeed they may cancel, BUT it is more likely they will divert, or sail from another port. Windjammer lost an entire ship and it's crew about 10 years ago in a hurricane. They off-loaded their passengers and took the ship out to what they though would be safer waters and they never returned. A very sad story. I believe it was a crew of about 10-15. So, I would assume that Windjammer will take no chances. You should have your docs by now so check on it about weather cancellations. Usually, they will reschedule you, but you shouldn't lose any money...insurance or not.

Since you don't have insurance, I would look into changing your airfare for a day earlier. You don't want to get stuck at home because of airport delays and your ship sails without you. YOu would be out the money then.

I would imagine that "Dennis" will be through there by the end of the weekend and since you don't sail until Friday, barring any unforseen major harbor/airport damage, that you will probably sail as scheduled. There aren't any other Hurricanes on the horizon this week, so you should be fine. If you have any other worries, just call Windjammer on Monday and they should be able to tell you what is happening. Communication is the key!

Thanks. At least we do not have to fly in...its only a 1.5 hour drive to the port. I am more concerned about the system that the weather guy mentioned last night that was just now forming off the coast of Africa...I'm not sure how long it would take to get here....

I ran across the story of the Windjammer Fantome yesterday & printed it out for my husband to read....it was tragic...31 people lost. Kind of freaked us out going on our first windjammer & with all these storms brewing!

It's hurricane season: There's ALWAYS another storm brewing off Africa. It's the nature of the beast. I'm concerned about flying out of Orlando tomorrow, Saturday, but the cruise line assures me it will re-route me if necessary. I went ahead and completed packing so I would be ready for a quick getaway in case they tell me to leave early. Fingers are crossed for all of us in, or on our way to or from, the tropics.

Archived