Capri hydrofoil tickets in October

cheffip

I know it's conventional wisdom here to recommend buying a return ticket to Naples as soon as one arrives in Capri to avoid the possibility of line-ups or sold-out hydrofoils in the afternoon. That makes perfect sense to me in high season.

I'll be there on Saturday October 26. There will be one other ship in port (Serenade) plus any miscellaneous day-trippers from Rome, Naples etc.

Is it still worth getting the ticket in Capri right away or will the afternoon line-ups be minimal and allow me to get the hydrofoil whenever I want?

Also, if you buy a return ticket in Molo Beverello I know you re limited to the company that sells you the ticket but can you come back on any of their departures from Capri or just the specific time on the return ticket?

Thanks!

I know it's conventional wisdom here to recommend buying a return ticket to Naples as soon as one arrives in Capri to avoid the possibility of line-ups or sold-out hydrofoils in the afternoon. That makes perfect sense to me in high season.

I'll be there on Saturday October 26. There will be one other ship in port (Serenade) plus any miscellaneous day-trippers from Rome, Naples etc.

Is it still worth getting the ticket in Capri right away or will the afternoon line-ups be minimal and allow me to get the hydrofoil whenever I want?

Also, if you buy a return ticket in Molo Beverello I know you re limited to the company that sells you the ticket but can you come back on any of their departures from Capri or just the specific time on the return ticket?

Thanks!

Bumping this up to see if anyone, including Hank or Eurocruiser have any comments.

Thanks.

I was in Capri for the day in late October last year.

We did not buy our return tickets upon arrival in Capri because we knew our ship was not leaving Naples until 11:00 pm, so not a huge deal if one of the ferries happened to sell out.

We ended up going back at around 6pm, I think. We strolled up at practically the last minute and had no problem getting tickets. I can't vouch for how crowded any earlier trips were, but Capri did not seem very crowded that day.

I was in Capri for the day in late October last year.

We did not buy our return tickets upon arrival in Capri because we knew our ship was not leaving Naples until 11:00 pm, so not a huge deal if one of the ferries happened to sell out.

We ended up going back at around 6pm, I think. We strolled up at practically the last minute and had no problem getting tickets. I can't vouch for how crowded any earlier trips were, but Capri did not seem very crowded that day.

Thanks Cynthia.

It shouldn't be a problem getting it in Capri, but if the line you go out with has a return at the time you want, you might as well make it easy on yourself and buy both together.

Generally they will not allow you on an earlier boat with a ticket for a later one, but you never know. I go by the "what's the worst they can do" philosophy and ask for what I want. If they say no, I stay on Capri a little longer and I've lost nothing, but they just might say yes, so why not try?

Here's the SNAV schedule going out on the 26th:

data partenze porto di partenza

prezzi da

sab 26/10/2013 07:00 Napoli beverello 20,10 €

sab 26/10/2013 08:05 Napoli beverello 20,10 €

sab 26/10/2013 08:35 Napoli beverello 20,10 €

sab 26/10/2013 09:10 Napoli beverello 20,10 €

sab 26/10/2013 09:30 Napoli beverello 20,10 €

sab 26/10/2013 10:10 Napoli beverello 20,10 €

and the SNAV return:

data partenze porto di partenza

prezzi da

sab 26/10/2013 12:15 Capri 18,60 €

sab 26/10/2013 12:40 Capri 18,60 €

sab 26/10/2013 13:40 Capri 18,60 €

sab 26/10/2013 14:50 Capri 18,60 €

sab 26/10/2013 15:25 Capri 18,60 €

sab 26/10/2013 16:10 Capri 18,60 €

and the website: http://www.snav.it/index.php?option=com_snavbooking&task=step1advanced&Itemid=196&lang=it

Edited by euro cruiser

• 2 months later...

Just got back from a cruise and finally noticed this thread. Yes, it is true that a few of the more regular posters (I hesitate to call us "experts) always suggest buying a return ticket as soon as one arrives on the island. We would agree that this is less of a problem on a quiet day or off-season, but we would probably still stick with our recommendation. I just like not having to worry about a possible queue at the ticket window if we are rushing to catch a return boat. Keep in mind that even if you hold a ticket for a specific return time, it is normally not a problem to take an earlier (or later) ferry operated by the same company (tickets are not exchangeable between the two primary ferry operators).

Regarding KEN31VA's post (above) we see no problem following that type of itinerary provided that you have enough time. You might also want to consider that a majority of the shops/stores in Sorrento do close during the afternoon hours (usually from about 1-4) so going to Sorrento to shop in the afternoon is not a great option. You should also be aware that you can also take the train between Sorrento and Naples (they run every 30 min and take about an hour for the run).

Hank

I am thinking about taking the ferry: Naples-Capri, Capri-Sorrento and Sorrento-Naples, for a one-day tour. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

I don't find enough of interest in Sorrento to justify the time it takes from your day to add this stop, but that's me. If you do want to go there to shop it makes sense to change your route and go Naples - Sorrento in the morning and then to Capri in the afternoon when Sorrento goes into quiet mode. Unfortunately, this further shortens your day as the first ferry to Sorrento doesn't leave until 9 AM.

Edited by euro cruiser

Let's play it out, for the fun of it (since there isn't much going on in the Italy forum these days).

Boat from Naples Beverello to Sorrento ( on Alilauro) at 9 AM, arriving at 9:45.

Spend a couple of hours in Sorrento then head for Capri at 11:45, arriving at 12:15.

Depending, of course, on your departure time from Naples that leaves you only three or four hours on Capri.

Let's play it out, for the fun of it (since there isn't much going on in the Italy forum these days).

Boat from Naples Beverello to Sorrento ( on Alilauro) at 9 AM, arriving at 9:45.

Spend a couple of hours in Sorrento then head for Capri at 11:45, arriving at 12:15.

Depending, of course, on your departure time from Naples that leaves you only three or four hours on Capri.

I agree it makes more sense to to Sorrento first. (IF Sorrento is a must see; I tend to agree with you that it is skippable...)

However, if Sorrento is a must, another option is to take the Circumvesuviana train to Sorrento from Naples. If the poster could make the 8:11 express train leaving the Porta Nolana station, he/she could be in Sorrento by 9:03.