BOB - Breathing Observation Bubble

Loves_Dogs

Has anyone ever booked the BOB underwater scooters with Aqua Adventures in St Thomas? From what I could find, booking this excursion through Carnival is $119 per person. Aqua Adventures is $99 per person but I don't know how reputable it is.

If I am not mistaken, you can book directly through them online. I was going to book with them when they were in Key West, but they discontinued there Key West tours shortly before we went there. Try doing a search for them online and you should be able to call them directly for prices and booking. I believe it was $89.00 per person for a 4 hour day. Snorkeling and BOBing.

I am sad we couldn't do it, but have vowed to do it someday.

Has anyone ever booked the BOB underwater scooters with Aqua Adventures in St Thomas? From what I could find, booking this excursion through Carnival is $119 per person. Aqua Adventures is $99 per person but I don't know how reputable it is.

Aqua Adventures is probably the firm that Carnival uses for their excursions. My understanding is that there are only a limited number of BOBs throughout the world because the inventor does not allow the patent to be used by anyone else.

A few years ago when we stayed on St. Thomas for two weeks, we did the BOB. It was a lot of fun!!

The BOB itself is kinda hard to get on in the water because you have to put your head in first or you will hit your bottom!

A person off the boat scuba dives in front of a small group (ours was 3). Each diver has a very small group. The BOB goes down about 10 feet, where you will start your journey. It's kind of weird because the water is at your neck and yet it does not get into the bubble because air pushes it out. When you get down to ten feet, the diver makes sure you equalize your pressure and uses simple hand motions to make sure you are ok. The thing you are sitting on is basically like a scooter, with buttons to press to make you go and turn. you look at a ship wreck under the sea, and our diver even picked up a sea urchin-looking creature (with short white sticks that don't hurt though) and let us hold it! you can take pictures with an underwater camera, but beware, your head looks tiny in the pictures because of the bubble, and then your body looks normal size.

The BOB was a GREAT experience for us! As long as you are not claustrophobic and can equalize your pressure, you should have a great time. The staff was more than accomodating, and extremely nice. I guess that niceness is where they get their tips.

Defintely do the BOB if you want to have a great time in St. Thomas.

Aqua Adventures is the company that does the BOB so booking online would be booking directly, and probably a better deal than Carnival.

My boyfriend and I are planning on doing the BOB on our upcoming cruise at the end of the month and are booking through Carnival.

Though you can book directly with the company, you may be better off booking through the cruiseline, especially during hurricane season. If the ship is late and unable to make the excursion or misses the port of call altogether, Carnival will refund your money. If you book with the company directly, you may be taking quite a risk.

Also keep in mind that those who have Carnival tours booked are the first to be let off the ship once in port. If you visit a non-USA island before St. Thomas (such as Nassau), you will have to go through immigration once you arrive in a US possession -- which may or may not take some time. If you have booked your excursion through Carnival, they will allow you off the ship in the 'first batch'.

BOB is not to be missed! Cozumel has the same thing but called BOND. It is through Catch the Wave. Cozumel's was only $78 but you didn't stay down as long as with BOB. Also you have to sign a medical release on BOB. On BOND you didn't. Have done both and both are fantastic!

Becky

Archived