Overnight Hotel in Southampton?

I'd appreciate a recommendation of a hotel in Southampton on the night of January 9th ... I'm traveling there by train, so it will need to be near the station and the dock ...

Cheap and cheerful (and clean) ...

This is prior to the January 10th Transatlantic on the QE.

Thanks.

Yankeeklipper

We usually stay at the Holiday Inn or Grand Harbour but the Premier Inn West Quay is in a good location and gets great reviews. Around £69 for the night.

QE due to be at Mayflower terminal, so just a short taxi ride.

http://www.premierinn.com/en/hotel/SOUQUA/southampton-west-quay?cmp=KNC_D_BND&mckv=sqc68ghB5_dc|pcrid|34373583459|kword|premier%20inn%20west%20quay|match|e|plid|

I'd appreciate a recommendation of a hotel in Southampton on the night of January 9th ... I'm traveling there by train, so it will need to be near the station and the dock ...

Cheap and cheerful (and clean) ...

This is prior to the January 10th Transatlantic on the QE.

Thanks.

Yankeeklipper

We stayed at the Premier Inn West Quay for four nights before our April TA on QM2. We paid 65 pounds a night and added the breakfast for 8.25 pounds each.

As laktex mentioned, the hotel gets very high marks on tripadvisor and after staying there, they are well deserved. The hotel and our room was spotless. The staff extremely helpful and the breakfast was one of the best we had in our three week stay in the UK. Fresh fruit, a great coffee machine that does Latte's, juices and the food is kept fresh and up to date on the hot/cold buffet.

The hotel rooms are small but the beds very comfy, the bathrooms large and spotless. We were using the hotel as a point to take the train to different cities/towns to visit and this hotel fit the bill to a "T".

There is a lovely mall right outside the door and the hotel is easy walking distance from and to the train station and the town. As laktex also mentioned, it is a very short cab drive to the docks.

There is a great group of people on your crossing at that date with a wonderful roll call:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1692699

Hope you have a wonderful sailing. Love the QE.

best regards,

seasidegal

I will be leaving on QE on the 10th as well. I will be staying at the Premier Inn West Quay. Some of us from the roll call will be going for drinks/dinner that night. As seasidegal says, please join us on our roll call. We are a very friendly group and we have quite a few who are doing the Southampton to NYC segment.

I always stay at the Novotel, West Quay - it's modern, clean, quiet, has a pool and a fitness center, the service is great and the food, too. It takes about 5 minutes by car to get there from Southampton Central Railway Station. Just opposite is the West Quay Shopping and after 10 minutes by car and you will be at the terminal.

Bon voyage!

I always stay at the Novotel, West Quay - it's modern, clean, quiet, has a pool and a fitness center, the service is great and the food, too. It takes about 5 minutes by car to get there from Southampton Central Railway Station. Just opposite is the West Quay Shopping and after 10 minutes by car and you will be at the terminal.

Bon voyage!

Yes, and the Novotel is just across the car-park from McDonald's & TGIF. IKEA is just down the road too.

Very convenient to everything.

We stay here as it is easy for the docks and more easy for the shops:) Yes, great shopping on the door step, love it as the sales are always on in January:D

Book Premier INN now as prices are were down to £29 per night last week. They drop them at different times of the years so last week down they went so we cancelled and rebooked for less:)

Great!

Where can I find Premiere Inn for 29 pounds @ night?

Hi Cruzn Tom:

http://www.premierinn.com/en/search!execute.action

I hope that comes up for you. If not, just put Southampton as your choice

of location and the West Quay will come up with their prices for the 9th of Jan/2014.

I don't think you will regret staying there - especially since the clientele

that night will be great. :-)

best regards,

seasidegal

I see after posting this that the results did not show up from this link so you will have to fill in the search for your location

and time on their screen.

We're booked at the White Star Tavern, based on GHG recommendations--always pretty reliable. That's prior to the Dec 15 crossing. Comments from posters??

We stayed at the White Star Tavern last year, we really enjoyed it and would stay there again. There were nice places to eat around.

We stayed at the White Star Tavern last year, we really enjoyed it and would stay there again. There were nice places to eat around.
Yes, quite a choice in Oxford Street (as well as the White Star Tavern itself).

And you can walk to the Ocean Terminal :) !

The DOLPHIN is a Mecrure hotel. We have used this and their restaurant is OK. Make sure you have a room not facing the High Street as it can get noisy at night.

Another hotel next door to that is The Star Hotel. An old coaching inn. Very old and quaint! Again room on high street can be noisy. They do a great English breakfast there.

Oxford Street is the best place for eating out, some very good restaurants and across from there is the famaous GARND CAFE which does excellent food. Next street in Queens Terrace is the best beauty clinic in Southampton.

Great for the ladies pre cruise treatments. :)

Hotel prices will be going up now as they all get booked out for the night before the world cruises leave. Southampton will be busy on the 9th January. Premier had their special of £29 per night earlier this month. Must have now ended.

Yes, quite a choice in Oxford Street (as well as the White Star Tavern itself).

And you can walk to the Ocean Terminal :) !

It probably would have been quicker, we stayed over night before the Jubilee last year and the traffic was grim.

Another vote for Mecure Dolphin Hotel

What we have tried over the years

Novotel

Grand Harbor

Premier Inn West Quay

Ibis

Mercure Dolphin

Ibis Budget (formally E-tap)

Travelodge

Star Hotel

Holiday Express West

Ellington Lodge

Holiday Inn Quay

We now have a preference for the Mecure Dolphin, good cruise package with parking and transfers to and from cruise terminals. And also next door to a Wetherspool Pub (just love the real ales), and easy reach of the shopping center and food places. And good friendly staff.

Andrew :)

We used the Highfield house hotel when we did the Fjords & Waterfalls in July. Nice, clean hotel, good staff. Not too expensive. Nice restaurant & bar next door, Sainsbury's opposite if you've forgotten anything and they do a good breakfast.

Downsides? Room had no Aircon. Won't be a problem for you in January, but for us in July this year when it was 30c it was a bit on the warm side.

We're booked at the White Star Tavern, based on GHG recommendations--always pretty reliable. That's prior to the Dec 15 crossing. Comments from posters??

Good choice, The place is having a lick of paint both inside and out at the moment, Great Restaurant , Good Indian over the road also called Kuti's Brasserie.

http://www.whitestartavern.co.uk/

http://kutisbrasserie.co.uk/

Late post by a local, just back home from cruisin'.

All the hotels quoted on this thread are fine, just a few thoughts:

QE normally berths at the QE11 terminal - it's deep into the docks, with a lot of freight traffic & no sidewalk separation. You really need a taxi from any hotel, but it'd cost no more than £10 from the furthest of the hotels quoted on this thread.

Ibis Budget is the cheapest, & right across the road from the rail station. Basic & charmless, but cheap, modern & clean. And convenient.

Ibis Plus and Novotel are on the same site, better but proportionately more expensive.

Premier Inn West Quay is a highly praised chain hotel, but around the £29 mark was a promotional price for a few months after its opening something over a year ago. The £66 mentioned on this thread is more typical of current prices.

White Star Rooms? A boutique place, highly regarded but I doubt the prices will appeal to anyone seeking budget accommodation.

Were I a visitor to the UK I'd choose the Mercure Dolphin, a historic coaching inn & one of Southampton's minor icons. But it comes with the drawbacks of a historic building, and although reasonable it's not budget-priced.

Highfield House is some distance from the station/docks/city centre, but I know nothing about it.

Holiday Inn Herbert Walker Avenue has great views down Southampton Water is popular with cruisers out of City Cruise Terminal, but it's rather dated (1970's), & QE definitely won't be sailing from City terminal.

Not mentioned is the Southampton Park, a traditional English 3-star hotel. Close to the rail station, but a little up-hill.

The map at the bottom of this webpage shows the hotels, cruise terminals & rail/coach stations.

http://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/southampton_accommodation.htm

JB :)

Edit: Just checked the provisional cruise ship schedule http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/Live_Information/Shipping_Movements_and_Cruise_Ship_Schedule/Cruise_Ship_Schedule/ as Trevor's post, QE is due to sail out of Mayflower terminal. With luggage, not easily walkable from any hotel, it's further than it looks.

Archived