Trekking Pole Question

Otis

We are going on the Explorer in December and would love to get your input regarding the need for trekking poles. We are reasonably fit, but I am inclined to bring poles along to help me feel more secure; my husband is not. What was your experience....did most people end up using them, or was it unnecessary? I notice that poles are sold individually or in pairs...

is one likely to do the job or should I get two while I am at it? Finally, for those on the Explorer, are there extras on board in case they are needed?

Many thanks in advance.

Sorry, I should have been more specific: we will be on Silversea Explorer.

Thanks for your responses.

You can by a single (mono-pole) that can also be used for photography since it has a fitting in the top to take a camera mount. Pretty much a hiking pole.

More often, I have seen the twin poles. They are adjustable in length and can be easily adjusted. Then you get into grips, locking mechanism (Leki v. Black Diamond, for instance), with or without snow baskets (not really necessary on ice, but steel tips will be helpful), etc. We took them (Black Diamond) and really never needed them in Antarctica. The Silver Explorer might have some to borrow.

Have a great cruise. Antarctica is magnificent.

We were on the Nat Geo Explorer this past Jan/Feb, where there were plenty of extra poles, but obviously I have no idea whether that will be the case on the Silversea. I can tell you, however, that there were a number of landings where the rocks were quite wet and slick, and my spouse and I were quite happy to each have a pole for stability. We are fit, that wasn't the issue, it was slippery. And one of those landings involved some uphill walking on the slick rocks. (Only one pole is needed, not two, it's just for stability.)

I brought along my own Leki trekking pole, because it's very light and telescopes down into a very short stick that fits in my suitcase. (And the knob comes off to create a monopod for my camera.)

I've just about finished my very detailed on-line journal/review of our Antarctica trip (with lots of photos), which you can find at the link below; you'll note on some of the landings I mentioned being happy we each had a pole. Hope the info is helpful, and I hope you have a fabulous adventure.

http://antarcticjourney.wordpress.com/

I now know what to do....thanks to everyone who took the time to reply.

Turtles06: your journal is going to be my trusty companion as I plan all aspects of our upcoming trip. It is comprehensive, informative and fun to read. I expected to spend 2 or 3 minutes looking at it but, instead, it became a morning activity. Thank you, thank you, thank you for providing so much detail to those of us about to undertake this adventure.

I now know what to do....thanks to everyone who took the time to reply.

Turtles06: your journal is going to be my trusty companion as I plan all aspects of our upcoming trip. It is comprehensive, informative and fun to read. I expected to spend 2 or 3 minutes looking at it but, instead, it became a morning activity. Thank you, thank you, thank you for providing so much detail to those of us about to undertake this adventure.

Thank you so much for your very kind words! Have a great trip!!!

We cruised to Antarctica on Silver Explorer in Feb 2012. It was my first experience of walking on slippery icy slopes and I was very pleased to have my "pole". It was a telescopic one, took very little space in my suitcase. We borrowed boots from the on-board supply and had a magnificent cruise with Silversea.

• 1 month later...
You can by a single (mono-pole) that can also be used for photography since it has a fitting in the top to take a camera mount. Pretty much a hiking pole.

That's the kind I have - it goes everywhere with me, or should! I'm still recovering from a fall I took in India because I didn't think I'd need it that day... I like only having the one because it leaves my other hand free for my camera.

It has a basket that really helped in the snow, and also the rubber tip removes for a better grip on ice or dirt. If you plan on hiking up the slopes to get a better view, or some cool pictures of the ship from above I highly recommend one!

That's the kind I have - it goes everywhere with me, or should! I'm still recovering from a fall I took in India because I didn't think I'd need it that day... I like only having the one because it leaves my other hand free for my camera.

It has a basket that really helped in the snow, and also the rubber tip removes for a better grip on ice or dirt. If you plan on hiking up the slopes to get a better view, or some cool pictures of the ship from above I highly recommend one!

Sometimes they can save you a nasty fall. My DGF was trying to get out of the way on one of the Penguin "super highways" and had left her poles on board. She lost her footing and crashed into our Expedition Leader. Pretty funny (no one was hurt). We'll both have them with us in Iceland in January since we will be on at least one glacier.