Wanting To Cruise MSC But Have Some Major Concerns....

GlenCoco!

Hey ya'll

I really like MSC's itinerary that goes to Barcelona, Genoa, Casablanca, Malaga, and Lisbon next April.

That, coupled with good pricing, makes the cruise incredibly enticing.

I've read some reviews and I'm quite concerned with some of the negative feedback.

The ship is MSC Orchestra BTW.

Anyhow, I have some questions for anyone who has sailed MSC Orchestra (or MSC in general).

1. What's the food quality like? What kind of foods do they offer?

2. What are Europeans like on cruise lines? (since the majority of passengers will be European).

3. Staff: I've read that they don't smile and service is a lot lower compared to NCL or Royal Caribbean. Some people have also said they are super friendly. I'm just confused... because this makes a big difference...

4. Sailing the Mediterranean in April, will the weather on deck be cold when lounging (when the wind is blowing?).

For those who have sailed with Orchestra, if you have a few minutes to share your experience I would love it!

Any general tips for sailing with MSC would also be appreciated as well!

Thanks so much! I'm working hard to plan the best cruse possible for my family. I appreciate your input.

MSC has one of kind Italian food, including homemade pastas in addition to buffets of various cuisines from different regions. Fellow cruisers and crew are both very friendly and help to make your cruise an even better experience. And in Mediterranean in April, you'll find temperatures to be 40 - 70°F, so it might be a little cool on the open decks.

We hope this helps!

3. Staff: I've read that they don't smile and service is a lot lower compared to NCL or Royal Caribbean. Some people have also said they are super friendly. I'm just confused... because this makes a big difference...

Well, we only cruised with MSC in Caribbeans, but I doubt MSC hires different staff for different regions.

Staff was friendly and accommodating. I am not sure what people meant by "super friendly", but we got very nice service from both MDR water and cabin steward.

One thing we've noticed bar staff is less aggressive with offering drinks. They will ask you if you want anything, but if you don't want they will turn drinks menu down and you won't get this question again and again.

Welcome to CruiseCritic, GlenCoco!

We have not sailed on the Orchestra, but have sailed on two other MSC ships and just did the itinerary you're considering this past April on the Opera. You didn't mention your previous cruise experience, but we have sailed on MSC and NCL.

Food quality and selection: we found it to be pretty good to excellent. Highlights included pasta dishes, risotto, and the ice cream (always a couple choices of flavors in the main dining room at lunch and dinner). If you don't like Italian food (or get tired of it over the course of a week), there are always other choices. As North Americans, we received vouchers for bottled water, and we never had a problem getting tap water either. We found the half liter carafe of wine perfectly drinkable and a great bargain at 7 Euros.

"what are Europeans like": that's a pretty broad question and I'd hate to overgeneralize. I'm guessing you are from North America...have you ever visited Europe? If so, then you've probably already noticed some differences. Some Europeans have a different concept of personal space, and might stand closer to you than you are used to. Some Europeans do not follow the custom of waiting in lines, first-come-first-served, and so on. We have never found this to be a big problem, just something to be aware of and accept it as a cultural difference rather than thinking "wow those people are rude." I think it adds to the experience of visiting Europe to sail with a more diverse passenger group.

Staff: we have generally found it to be comparable to NCL. In our experience, dining room staff at MSC was much more friendly and personable than on NCL, perhaps because you have the same waitstaff the entire cruise, which you don't get with NCL's "freestyle". Many people have commented that on MSC, the bar staff will wait for you to indicate that you want something, rather than initiating the sale themselves; some cruisers consider this "standoffish". Cabin stewards have been friendly and accommodating on both lines.

Weather: we embarked at Genoa on April 1 this year. Weather was generally pleasant, but it was chilly when we were underway. My kids took quick dips in the pool but I did not. I brought a lightweight jacket with a hood, a couple cotton cardigans, and a sweatshirt, and wore them all, but not at the same time. :)

We would not hesitate to sail with MSC again. If the itinerary and price appeal to you, give it a try!

We sailed on the Poesia repositioning and Baltic cruise.

Food we thought ws great, I've never had bread or pastas that good on any other line. Also ice cream, gelato, made fresh and some great entrees. It IS European on our cruise the hot dogs at lunch were the German kind, and very tasty! Always saukraut and mustard available too.

Staff are friendly, very efficient and unobtrusive, they will nod and smile when you pass but in the European manner they are not over friendly, we re Aussies and prefer it that way.

Fellow passengers were a mix for us, a lot of people from Russia on the repositioning cruise, and they know how to laugh and have a fairly happy time in the bars, we shared a table with a Russian couple and laughed every night. Our Baltic group was a bit mixed, a lot of people from Germany but all over really and never once did we feel anyone was a problem, the second week all I would say is that Europeans dress quite formally for formal nights. ( although I've just returned from a RCL cruise in Asia and the ladies there have full on ball gowns for formal nights and looked fabulous, sadly I don't own one :(

All round we had an excellent cruise on MSC, our last cruise on RCL ws disappointing and we have decided we will cruise with MSC again soon.

Congratulations on asking the big questions. I have spent 16 nights on the Orchestra's sister ship, MSC Musica.

1. What's the food quality like? What kind of foods do they offer?

Food quality is incredibly subjective. If you are expecting anything in particular, if you are set in your ways or if you are not well-travelled, the chances are you will have something to complain about on MSC. MSC does not provide the U.S. cultural bubble provided by the other mainstream lines. They are distinctly Italian to the point of a Disney-scale theme. You are abroad when on an MSC ship. The food reflects this and it is part of travelling and acquiring new experiences. Have a broad and open mind, a sense of adventure and fun and you will love the food.

2. What are Europeans like on cruise lines? (since the majority of passengers will be European).

Well I am European and we are all lovely. The diversity of peoples within Europe is extraordinary and there is simply no generalising. MSC is a little like the United Nations of the sea. Expect everything and then some. Native English-speakers will be in a small minority but most guests will speak some English. After booking there is time to learn a few words of Italian, German and Spanish to be courteous to your fellow guests.

There is a big difference here. From discussions on this board and personal experience, U.S.-style service is fake-friendly, smiling and intrusive. European-style service is professional and discrete. Staff never speak first - unless there is an emergency (but even then...), they never approach you and ask if you would like anything. To me, as a European, the latter would be a sacking offence. In-your-face hustling was all-pervasive aboard Royal Caribbean and was easily the most unpleasant aspect of the line. MSC staff maintain a discrete distance but you only need catch their eye to have them come running. They are not your friends and should not behave as if they are.

4. Sailing the Mediterranean in April, will the weather on deck be cold when lounging (when the wind is blowing?).

Yes. The Mediterranean sea is at its very coldest in April. If the wind blows it will be cool. However the decks are well protected from the wind and the April sunshine in the Med is powerful. In practice sunbathe but don't swim in the sea in April.

For those who have sailed with Orchestra, if you have a few minutes to share your experience I would love it!

Over to Amomondo - I believe the Orchestra is her favourite ship.

Any general tips for sailing with MSC would also be appreciated as well!

I think I have tried to cover general tips. For a detailed account of my first experience of MSC have a look at my 'live blog' from the Musica.

T.

Well I do like the orchestra and the Musica. They are pretty much identical except the flushes in public loos are automatically triggered by sensors on the orchestra and not on the Musica. The orchestra's other speciality restaurant is Chinese instead of Sushi but other than that, they are the same.

I'm guessing you've not travelled much otherwise you would not be asking what Europeans re like. As Tim says we're all different. Speak different languages, have different cultures, traditions,, behaviour etc. diversity is the only thing we all have in common. It really comes down to whether you want to experience Europe and it's many nationalities or just see some of its sights? MSC will immerse you in a variety of European but mainly Italian tradition and food. Languages spoken onboard on that itinerary will be Italian, French! German, Spanish, English and Portuguese. Majority are likely to be Italian! Spanish and Portuguese with a strong German percentage. English speakers will be in the minority and come from a variety of nations. Are you likely to find it interesting and exciting to have things done differently onboard as well S land, or is that going to make you feel really uncomfortable? Only you can tell. Often the problem is that people who are not widely travel fail to appreciate that so many of the little things they take for granted are not the norm in other parts of the world. On a cruise last year, an American lady was going nuts at a waitress in the coffee shop because she wanted "real coffee", to her mind only American style coffee was "real" and the Italian variety was...well. to sure what she thought it was but the point is she asked for coffee when she should have asked for an Americano if she wanted the stuff like in the US and even at that the brand would be different. Iced tea is another example, we don't tend to drink it in most European countries so it's not available onboard. No point going in a tail spin about it, just know that your overseas and you can't/don't get the same stuff as you get at home (thankfully, since that's what makes travelling interesting to me).

If you have any specific questions about the orchestra, let me know.i did a live blog from the ship in August and what I'm experiencing now on the Musica is pretty much the same experience, just different ports.

We just returned from back to back cruises on MSC, the first week on the Orchestra and then on the Fantasia. This was our first experience with MSC but our 43rd and 44th cruises overall. The ships are beautiful, the food was very good and the entertainment was some of the best we have ever experienced. We found the service to be very good and the staff very helpful.

The passenger mix changes from week to week on any cruise but be prepared to be in the minority if you are North American. It was not an issue for me but definately an International experience. All announcements are at least 5 languages usually in English first. Some of the English speaking excursions were canceled because not enough signed up, so you need to research the ports and have a backup plan.

The cabins were smaller on the Orchestra but it was much easier to get around on than the larger Fantasia. My only concern was that our cabin was directly above the aft (late-night party/dance) lounge but we never heard a sound from it so it was not an issue.

MSC offers a very good product at a great price, we have been on many cruise lines and each one is a little different but no two people will have the same attitude about their experience so don't rely on negative reviews.

If you are comparing cabins on NCL & MSC, MSC's are larger.

Tim, I do not like your comments about fakeness of Americans. I am an American by birth, and had similar thoughts when first moved here at 24. But I quickly learned that it is just a nice way to communicate with a smile. Btw from my experience on the ships where Britts were a majority they are not much different. :)

We were on the Orchestra last month. I had done some researching and was aware that as an American we would be in the minority. The Orchestra is a beautiful ship and all the public areas were in really good shape. Our balcony cabin was in need of some repairs and the carpet was filthy. Our steward tried to clean it after I requested 3 times. He said he was not allowed to shampoo it because it was done on a schedule and it wasn't time yet.

In the dining room we had hoped and requested that we be seated with other English speaking passengers or have a table for 2. Neither was honored and although awkward we made the best of it trying to communicate with our french speaking table mates. Food was good and if you don't like one thing there are plenty of courses and choices. We didn't care for the hustle and bustle of the buffet. No one waited in line and you soon learn that if you snooze you loose! The most chaotic buffet I've ever seen on a cruise ship. When walking thru the buffet during non busy times one would think there was plenty of tables. Try going at a peak meal time and it was difficult to find a table.

You mentioned cruising with your family. If you have children it looked like the Orchestra had a fun children's area. I think school might have been in session when we were on her because there weren't that many school age children, but lots of toddlers and babies. Strollers always parked along the corridors. Always seemed to be somebody crying in the dining room.

Beware of this ship if you are a smoker. That said, if you are a smoker you will love it. Smoking was allowed in any outdoor area as well as on the cabin balcony. They will "say":rolleyes: it's not allowed, but we witnessed over and over people smoking on their balconies. We reported it twice and the second time was told that they cannot enforce it.

Go with an open mind as others have said. The staff are friendly and know enough English to communicate. We unfortunately encountered a few hiccups, but still had a good cruise. The excessive smoking would be the reason we wouldn't cruise on her again. MSC needs to address that, although I can understand why they wouldn't since there seemed to be so many people that smoked and they want to cater to them.

Out of 6 cruises so far the Orchestra had less movement than any we've been on. For the most part the Mediterranean waters were very calm.

Thanks so much guys for your input. I really really appreciate it. From what you've all said and my research, it sounds like me and my sister would love this cruise, but unfortunately my parents wouldn't.... (and they don't like italian food).

But definitely a cruise I'd strongly consider next time when I sail without family.

OP,

Of course, within certain broad parameters food tastes are subjective, however, most people prefer a well prepared steak to a bad hot dog. Realistically, there are limits on the subjectivity. That's why it's possible to review restaurants with stars ala Michelin or even you local newspaper.

To a lesser degree the evaluation of service is also subjective. Frequently some oft-posting fans of MSC rationalize MSC's less responsive service as a more sophisticated European approach to service, an approach which they contend is intentionally less intrusive and less phony than what "Americans" are accustomed to - when such service could just as well be described simply as slow or inadequate.

Within the valid parameters of subjective tastes for both food and service people of good faith will disagree. Accordingly, it is not a good idea to rely upon the opinions of a few posters. Moreover, repeat patrons of a cruise line who are quick to respond to queries such as yours tend to be impartial or they may have limited experience with other lines, but even if they are neither their opinions remain subjective.

For these reasons it is a good idea for people curious about cruise line and cruise ship comparisons to look at the Cruise Critic Cruisers' Choice poll. The poll is a mathematical compilation of over 100,000 CC member review ratings given to almost all the cruise ships currently in service. The ratings are broken down into various categories, e.g. food, service, entertainment, accommodations, overall, etc. It's not a perfect measure for sure, but it's a lot more informative and useful than the opinions of a handful of individuals who offer their personal evaluations of the quality of food, service, entertainment, cabins, etc of a particular ship. Here's a link.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberpoll_all.cfm?rating=Overall&sort=Highest

"For these reasons it is a good idea for people curious about cruise line and cruise ship comparisons to look at the Cruise Critic Cruisers' Choice poll"

GlenCoco ... People who have cruised with MSC on more than one occasion are more likely to give you a better idea of how things are than someone who has cruised only once or never with any given cruise line.

If you would be happy with the in your face kind of crusing then MSC is not for you, if however you prefer to browse without being mithered then take the plunge and try MSC.

Sadly there are some people on CC who in their own mind believe that someone who says a particular cruise line is good is a "cheer leader" and cannot accept that for those people the lline is what they say it is.

I have written reviews on some of the ships we have travelled on some good some not so good, the two written about MSC gives one good report and one not so good.

Do not be fooled into believing the CC poll is the Bible of cruising as some will have you believe.

We've only done one cruise with MSC...it was a Canada/NE on the Poesia a couple of years ago. We'd been on 22 cruises on a variety of other cruise lines at that point and weren't quite sure what to expect on MSC, especially after reading a lot of negative reviews. The Poesia was a gorgeous ship, the staff was very friendly, I loved the opera singers, and I enjoyed the Italian classes on board. The ports were great, except for the disorganization in getting pax off the ship in a timely manner for their MSC excursions (two hours late in Newport RI). Having all the ship's announcements in five languages was understandable given the passenger demographic, but was not something we enjoyed....especially standing in the hot sun for a very extended muster drill. A lot of people like MSC's food, but we didn't enjoy too many meals except for the ones we had ashore. It's possible that we may sail MSC again in the future, but for now I think we're more suited to other lines.

Straw man argument. Of course, someone who has cruised on MSC on more than one occasion is going to give you a better idea of how things are than someone who has never cruised the line. That's not debatable, but it isn't what I said.

Not that simple.

It depends on the competence of the poster.

I've seen that many times - those "who actually cruised" were not able to put two facts together.

Most recent (links available on request) fun read: a poster ("actually cruised") did not know where sun deck on the ship was. Same poster spreaded false info on fees that never existed on the ship he "actually cruised".

Examples are endless.

When I asked if "adults only" status of the rear pool on MSC was ever enforced - "cheer leaders" that "actually cruised" did not know. Same about extra charge for the upper sun deck on the Divina - those "who cruised" had no idea.

Why?

Those "citizens of the world" and "elitists by nature" (how they attest themselves) stay in faux exclusivity "Yacht Club" where "blue collars" are not allowed. They have little idea of what is going on on the ship outside a few bars and casino.

Do you think that kind of "actually cruised" posters are able (or willing) to give you "a better idea of how things are"? :D

So I did a research in addition to my detailed observation of the ship design while in ports.

Believe me, what I have collected is quite an informative thread on CC - to say the least..

This type of accusation may be valid. Not all cheer leaders of a particular line lack objectivity. While some cheer leaders may be impartial because of a variety of reasons , others are able to intelligently defend their preferences. The latter sincerely prefer the unique characteristics of the line for which they cheer.

I would agree with that but....

No-one has to "defend" their preferences because someone's preferences are never discussed. They are personal.

We discuss ships. And this is where so-called "cheer leaders" come up to attack anyone who does not pray their god.

Please do not confuse this with "defence of their preferences".

They carefully aviod talking to the matter because thier target is the poster, not the subject.

I have simply stated that the mathematical compilation of opinions about the listed categories included on the CC Cruisers Choice poll, e g., service, food, accommodations, entertainment, overall, etc., is a more reliable and useful source of information upon which to make a decision.

Generally speaking - yes.

Costa and MSC ratings are consistently below major cruise lines.

However, this source is not a "ready to use" thing.

Take one of the most screaming examples.

Compare the QM2 with Carnival Ecstasy:D.

Posters use different requirements: "Royal" requirements for the QM2 and requirements that can be applicable to a ship named Ecstasy.

Simply different scales of measurements = no sence in any comparisons based on these "ratings".

In my opinion, the real reason that someone like me who suggests the poll as a resource gets slammed is that the poll reveals that MSC is rated way below most of its competition in all categories. Those who attack me (as "looney" for example) simply can not stand anyone who points out how poorly MSC is rated by the universe of CC reviewers. Such people do reveal themselves as impartial cheer leaders, fanatics, and unwilling to admit the obvious truth about how MSC is perceived by the general cruising public.

Cannot agree more.

This is what I have just said. No-one bother to respond to what you posted. But you have become a target right away.

To everyone who is going to cruise: do your own homework.:)

Happy cruisisng!

We were on MSC for 32 days 4 back to backs from Barcelona to North Cape to Iceland. I liked the line my wife had mixed feelings. We picked MSC because of the itinerary and didn't regret it.

Cabin and Cabin steward as good as we have every had.

Entertainment was the best we ever have seen on a cruise ship both production shows and lounge shows. More towards opera and classical so if you don't like that you may be disappointed. They also had acrobats that we amazing.

Ship was very good, clean, easy to navigate around the ship.

We received coupons for water at dinner.

Food was mixed. Best pasta I have ever had. Some meats could have been better, fish was acceptable. They did not serve many vegetables

but many at our table ordered them separately. Buffet for breakfast and lunch was very good and pretty standard.

Most Europeans on the cruise spoke some English. We often had breakfast and lunch in the dining room and often had Europeans at our table. We enjoyed their company and had little problem communicating.

The waiter staff were not bad but not the best we have ever had along with some of the other staff.

This is a European ship. We Americans want to visit a foreign country and be treated as if they were in America. There is a world outside of the US.

We were one couple out of 8 American couples on our cruise, didn't have a problem and found it enjoyable.

Rudy

I am sailing May 14, TA to SA. I have read most reviews, but have not run across many comments about daytime activities. Do they have a daily publication like other cruise lines? If so, can someone scan and post?

This will be a 19 day cruise and I am trying to get a feel of what goes on during sea days.

Thanks

Have only cruised once on MSC (and about to do another) but I was pleasantly surprised.

I can honestly say, I thought the service was better than on Celebrity. Now, we were on the second sailing of a brand new ship, so the staff had not been at it for months. That may have played a part in it. They were always smiling and pleasant. We never had trouble getting a drink. We had the Allegrissimo Classic package, so maybe their knowing we had that made them more likely to ask us. I don't know. We have also travelled extensively in Europe and currently live in Europe, so we are more accustomed to the European style of service, which is less rushed.

Food was okay, especially if you order the Italian items. On MSC, and in Europe in general, I do not order burgers and steaks. i stuck with seafood, pasta and other things that Italians are known for. Buffet had lots of choices, was clean and constantly refilled and maintained. On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd say Celebrity's food quality averages a 6-9 and MSC on my sailing averaged a 5-8, depending on the day. Think mid-level to upper-mid level chain restaurant. Not the best food you've ever had, but hey, you are on vacation and someone else is doing the cooking and the dishes, and it's perfectly edible. When when you consider that MSC Is half the price, and in the Med it is really all about the ports, it is a good value for the money.

As far as fellow passengers, I found 99% of them lovely, which is more than I can say about a lot of American cruise ships. When you have 3000 people, there is always bound to be someone who is rude (in our case, a couple of Frenchies who were always pushing to get everywhere first), but you can't let that get you down. On the whole, i'd say Europeans are more polite than Americans, and. I'm an American!

I am sailing May 14, TA to SA. I have read most reviews, but have not run across many comments about daytime activities. Do they have a daily publication like other cruise lines? If so, can someone scan and post?

This will be a 19 day cruise and I am trying to get a feel of what goes on during sea days.

Thanks

They do have a Daily Programme of activities in mornings afternoons and evenings. I would not say they are action packed but there will be always be something on.

On the actual sea day crossings, they'll run a grand quiz with teams competing over a series of rounds each day. There will also be language lessons daily (again on sea days) usually Italian but on crossings to Brazil, it's Brazilian Portuguese. There will also be regular stuff like daily dance lessons, games Nd competitions, demos, arts and craft stuff.

A lot of the repo cruises are themed, so they will also have activities going on relating to the them. 2 of mine were dance cruises (they had 2 dance classes each day by professional ballroom dancers) another was a Bridge one and yet another a chess one.

To the one we all love..........I can't WAIT to go on our cruise on the Divina. There is no amount of negativity you can throw at us considering that you are only one person and have never cruised with MSC. All of the photos, videos and comments lead me to believe that this will be one of our most enjoyable cruises ever. So..........................:p

Archived