Balcony vs Family Suite Panama Canal

e050377

Looking for opinions:

We are currently in a midship balcony for our Panama Canal cruise on the Star. We have the option to upgrade to a Family Suite for a little bit more than we paid. This is our first time on NCL and we've heard the suite perks are awesome, but these suites don't have a balcony.

I have sailed once (2012 spring repo on Star) in Dawn class family suite (SJ) and loved it. We were a bit worried about the lack of balcony when we upgraded to it, but absolutely loved the suite and once we got there, we realized how easy it was to go outside either on deck 13 above or walking a bit more towards midship to the sun deck on the same deck (deck 12), we had no worries or trouble being without a balcony what so ever.

Especially the views with the floor-to-ceiling windows were amazing! :)

The SJs are the bargain of the NCL fleet! My sister is a Balconoholic and ended up loving the SJ. No balcony required! One flight up is deck 13, world's biggest balcony with hot tub!

The floor to ceiling windows can't be beat.

And, of course, the suite perks! Ooh la la!

We are on the same cruise, and are in a suite. We will always choose the suite for the perks. NCL has the best suite perks at sea IMHO;) Breakfast in Cagney's alone is worth it. Plus as others have said those suites on Deck 12 have very easy access to the sun deck on 13, plus they have large windows so if it is raining you can have the option of a comfortable view of the transit from your sofa. not to mention the size difference, about 2.5 times the size of the Balcony room. Nice to be able to spread out during a 2 week cruise. Looking forward to meeting you at the meet and great.

Having previously sailed in an SJ on Star and having just returned from Jewel in a deck 10 aft PH with a huge balcony, I have to say I think we liked the SJ better and I love balconies! I loved the space in the SJ and the bathroom and closet area is so nice. I love the floor to ceiling windows and the fact that it is so easy and quick to get to an outdoor space. Don't get me wrong I'd take either in a heartbeat but if I were choosing between an SJ with suite privileges and a straight up balcony I wouldn't hesitate for a second to book the SJ.

Mind you, having that deck 10 aft balcony sure was a bonus for watching the Americ's Cup final. :)

Archived