What's with the dissatisfaction at Azamara?

cle-guy

Bill

I think some of us feel that certain choices- good or bad- are going the way of the Parent Company.. example Art Artions. same with larger tours.

In six weeks I had one drink in Discovers amd that night was a quick drink at a VIP event.. i saw no reason to go there as no live music!

My before dinner drink was either in Prime C or in my cabin. i think that says a lot for my personal place for drinks. .i di enjoy Max at night but mostly at 1030 pm.:D

I'm afraid you still have not grasped what people are trying to tell you in their responses to your initial posting. People here are NOT "passive-aggressive DYKWIA." They are NOT "unhappy" as PetuniaP erroneously wrote. They love the cruise line and are providing feedback to Azamara via Cruise Critic.

And it's rather rude and obnoxious to refer to others here as DYKWIA, don't you think?

I didn't mean to imply that anyone was unhappy with Azamara - I was just (obviously not very well ) trying to say that, in general, those who are less happy with something/have unresolved problems/issues are more likely to post than those who are satisfied.

I have been a bit critical and probably will remain so, :confused:but if you cruise Azamara, you WILL have a wonderful time, almost everyone does.:cool:

I will always take issue with anyone that says most drinks are included, because that's simply not true,:( but that's a small part of the overall experience.

If I cruise Regent or Seaborn, I'll drink Champagne:D, if I choose Azamara, I'll drink wine and cocktail:)s. As they say in England, 'horses for courses'! :eek:

I am a relatively new cruiser, been on 5 cruises (1 Disney, 2 Celebrity, 2 HAL) and have another Celebrity and another HAL booked. My wife and I LOVE LOVE LOVE going on cruises, and being late 40s, I be we will cruise 50 more times in our lifetimes. At least I hope.

My favorite line so far is Celebrity. They just fit our lifestyle very well. But looking around I think we would like to try to Azamara and/or Oceania. Azamara appeals to us for a lot of reasons, one of which is that we have some status on Celebrity already and love the fact that we could go "upscale" sometimes to Azamara and then "downscale" to Royal C if we want.

As for cruising, we like fine dining, exercise, my wife loves spas, and especially opportunities to see great ports. Don't care at all about gambling, art auctions, we like drinking wine with dinner, but want to steer away from lines that cater to drunken 20 year olds - no offense, I was once one myself, but am no longer :).

I read this thread with interest and am curious for some comparisons to Celebrity/HAL and Oceania. What advice would you give us?

Hi Everyone,

Regarding the recent posts about land tours/excursions... we are getting way off-topic here, and already have another ongoing thread discussing this topic. Please continue the land tours discussion on this thread : http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1926768

Thanks very much for your cooperation.

Hi Everyone,

Regarding the recent posts about land tours/excursions... we are getting way off-topic here, and already have another ongoing thread discussing this topic. Please continue the land tours discussion on this thread : http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1926768

Thanks very much for your cooperation.

Hi Andy

I am sorry about that! i jsut answered Ann's questions..wish they had been posted in the correct place. wish you could move the questions and my answers there.:)

Hi Andy

I am sorry about that! i jsut answered Ann's questions..wish they had been posted in the correct place. wish you could move the questions and my answers there.:)

Hi Robin,

Let me see what I can do... it will take a few minutes, but I will try to move the related posts to the other thread.

I am posting from the Quest where I am enjoying another fantastic cruise with Azamara,

The advent of the art auctions concerned me a bit but it hasn't impacted on my enjoyment of the cruise one jot.

We enjoyed a truly wonderful 3 Tenors concert as our Azamazing Evening and even though we went through a truly spectacular storm the other night where many passengers were very sea sick, there are only happy faces around this ship.

Hazel

I am posting from the Quest where I am enjoying another fantastic cruise with Azamara,

The advent of the art auctions concerned me a bit but it hasn't impacted on my enjoyment of the cruise one jot.

We enjoyed a truly wonderful 3 Tenors concert as our Azamazing Evening and even though we went through a truly spectacular storm the other night where many passengers were very sea sick, there are only happy faces around this ship.

Hazel

Glad you're having a great cruise, Hazel, even if you're up so early!:D

Hazel

Hazel- Glad you are having a good time on my favourite ship, enjoy the rest of your cruise.

Hilary

I was able to stay away from the area the days they had one. The pool or sp worked for me.

We enjoyed a truly wonderful 3 Tenors concert as our Azamazing Evening heard great reports on this event.and even though we went through a truly spectacular storm the other night where many passengers were very sea sick, there are only happy faces around this ship.

Hazel

happy and sea sic kat the same time! was this a different storm than the one that lightening hit the ship. I tend to do room service if i know the ship qill rock and roll. Love the tuna wraps.

Kiawahdon seems to have hit the nail on the head with his analysis. We have been on 8 cruises with Azamara (7 on Quest, 1 on Journey) and loved every single one. The staff on board are top-notch with very few exceptions; the ports are terrific; the attention to customer service is superior. Yes, we're looking for some spiffing up of the cabins, particularly the bathrooms. There needs to be better planning for some of the Azamazing evenings (but you'd be hard-pressed to find anything better than the Titanic Museum evening in Belfast!). We'd like more 2-3 week cruises, although 'management' reported that the demographics they want to attract prefer the 7-night journeys. And the folks who run the spa (a contract service) still give a bit too much attention to selling products for my wishes. Even so, undoubtedly every cruise line has some shortcomings. Azamara has fewer than most and continues to attract a well-travelled, interesting group of cruisers.

Just to mention one more point. As a fan of Azamara and one who is pulling for their ultimate survival, I will be looking at specific signs starting a year from now. First let me digress. Clearly, the 2 ships need attention and upgrading. In a couple more years this will be even more pressing. Add to the mix Oceania's $50 million upgrading of their 3 R ships this coming spring. The contrast between their ships and Azamara's after the dry docks will be even more striking from a marketing (competitive) perspective.

Now, what will I be focusing on? I will be very interested in the 3rd and 4th quarter,2014, or later, Board of Directors meeting of RCC and the related earnings call with financial analysts. The upgrades of the Quest and Journey will take at least $16 million each if Oceania is any guide. Such amounts will surely be a B of D item. Hence, in my opinion it is then, when we will find out the fate of Azamara. No dry docks will clearly signal sale in my opinion.

Add to the mix Oceania's $50 million upgrading of their 3 R ships this coming spring. The contrast between their ships and Azamara's after the dry docks will be even more striking from a marketing (competitive) perspective.

More striking? What makes the contrast "striking" now?

I won't waste my time discussing one word adjectives. If you have an observation with my basic premise, that is another matter.
Your statement that a planned drydock of Oceania's R ships would make the contrast with Azamara's two ships "more striking" clearly implies that you believe the contrast is striking now. I'd like to know why you believe that to be the case. I haven't been on an Oceania R ship, and, if there's a "striking" difference now--before Oceania's planned drydock--I'd like to understand what that "striking" difference is, as I haven't heard anyone express that here before. Others here considering the two cruise lines might want to know, also.

It puzzles me why you believe it would be a "waste of [your] time" to support your observation with specifics.

happy and sea sic kat the same time! was this a different storm than the one that lightening hit the ship. I tend to do room service if i know the ship qill rock and roll. Love the tuna wraps.

Robin,

It was a different storm from the one that put out the ship's radar and hit virtually immediately we left the port of Genoa.

We were having dinner in Aqualina which was interesting to say the least.

Most importantly, while many passengers suffered seasickness, there were no injuries.

Hazel

Your statement that a planned drydock of Oceania's R ships would make the contrast with Azamara's two ships "more striking" clearly implies that you believe the contrast is striking now. I'd like to know why you believe that to be the case. I haven't been on an Oceania R ship, and, if there's a "striking" difference now--before Oceania's planned drydock--I'd like to understand what that "striking" difference is, as I haven't heard anyone express that here before. Others here considering the two cruise lines might want to know, also.

It puzzles me why you believe it would be a "waste of [your] time" to support your observation with specifics.

I can try to answer

There is no striking difference now with the R ships -- but there is with the O ships -- there is a striking difference between the Oceania R ships and its O ships. While I am not a huge fan of the 1200 passenger O ships (I have sailed Marina and I will cruise on Riviera in December -- I prefer fewer passengers), the newer are incredibly popular and they are attracting a lot of passengers from luxury lines (which I thought was Azamara's marketing strategy -- "bespoke?.". The ships are magnificent with 6 dining venues (4 of them free), Lalique staircases, amazing art work, larger staterooms with tubs yada yada. Not sure if Azamara fans would gravitate to the O ships but, again, the difference there is more than striking - with ALL the R ships.

I agree that the facelifts on the Oceania R ships will be stiff competition for Azamara -- especially for those of use who are happy to cruise either line. All the cabins and public areas will be redone, the fabulous grill that is on the O ships (lobster tails, baby lamp chops and filet mignon every night in the buffet) will be installed and a baristas will be put in place as well (maybe not quite as roomy as Mosaic but it will provide a location to enjoy those beloved lattes).

Folks will have to decide if the on board "warmth" is enough to compensate for the older ships if Azamara does not upgrade its fleet. That will be the test going forward IMO

I can try to answer

There is no striking difference now with the R ships...

Thank you, Laraine. That's what I thought. The O ships are of no interest to me. Too big.

The primary concern many (but not I) have with the R ships is the size of staterooms and bathrooms. I doubt if a drydock will change either of these.

Thank you, Laraine. That's what I thought. The O ships are of no interest to me. Too big.

The primary concern many (but not I) have with the R ships is the size of staterooms and bathrooms. I doubt if a drydock will change either of these.

i am lucky enough to afford a small suite. here is the real problem in decorations. i find this more of a problem on the Quest.. i have slept on both ships in cabin 8040. The company needs to replace the carpet months ago .a stain-a hard stain will not come out near glass door. The chair has a fabric hole and i am guessing chair and sofa are left overs from ten plus years ago.

They have replace balcony chairs- i for one miss the older ones-but they can not put in new carpet!!! i was told they had none. who cares! just replace it wih a solid color.

the hanging storage is fine as well as the bathroom space. what is needed is better storage of drawer space. Nothing can be done about this! when i travel in two climates- on a ship- i have to leave clothes in suitcases. I switch it around for the cold days in S America or CA. You get over it but still a drag.

does this help?

True - but Kiahwah Don's points are well taken. It is going to take more than a few R ship devotees (such as the two of us) to keep Azamara afloat. Most Oceania cruisers e.g. don't see a big difference between the 700 and 1200 passengers (I do -- but I am in the minority).

When the program changes at Azamara were put in place and prices went up, it was thought that Azamara was targeting a more upscale cruiser. From what I can see, Azamara may be attracting some folks moving up from mainstream lines (Celebrity in particular where the status transfer provides benefits) and a few R ship devotees from Oceania (like myself) but not luxury cruisers. The folks from Regent and Crystal want a more luxury experience and they are booking Marina and Riviera (NOT the Oceania R ships) and loving those gorgeous ships. I just do not see where Azamara's new client base is coming from (hence all those charters??) and if the ships are not updated, I think Azamara will be less competitive with Oceania.

I have 3 Azamara cruises booked through the end of 2015. I am going to be following things closely.

Archived