How does Princess handle delayed debarkation?

chrismch

I've read about final docking being delayed by the weather and it doesn't make a big difference to most folks in the early hours of the day. However what is the procedure if it is delayed several hours? Does the cruiseline open the internet for people to rebook airlines or other pick up details at port since the passengers accounts have been closed out already? What about luggage? Holding it in your hand for an hour is no problem. Do they have any temporary storage for hand held bags? Can you store it in your cabin? Do they go on with activities for the day?

Delayed to a ship propulsion issue that caused us to limp home hours late and the next cruise to be cancelled totally. The answer to most of your questions in our case was no. No free internet, no place to store hand held, had to wait in our designated departure areas as the staff were already making up the rooms, no compensation for those who missed flights other than personal travel insurance which took care of us and only minimal food availabe in the buffet as the MDR was closed. I won't mention the line as that was my last trip with them but I would think most of the major lines would be close to the same. Read the really fine print in your cruise contract.

I've read about final docking being delayed by the weather and it doesn't make a big difference to most folks in the early hours of the day. However what is the procedure if it is delayed several hours? Does the cruiseline open the internet for people to rebook airlines or other pick up details at port since the passengers accounts have been closed out already? What about luggage? Holding it in your hand for an hour is no problem. Do they have any temporary storage for hand held bags? Can you store it in your cabin? Do they go on with activities for the day?

We were on a Holland America RT San Diego - Hawaii in October 2011. About 14 hours out of Maui (the last island) we had to turn around due to a medevac for 3 passengers and had to be within 100 miles of Hilo for helicopters. As there were only two helo's available we did 180's for a couple of hours to wait for one of he helo's to get back to get the 3rd passenger off. We returned to San Diego 24 hours late! For passengers with HA arranged travel, HA made all the re-bookings. For passengers that had booked their own travel, HA provided 3 days of free phone service (on-board) so they could reschedule their flights and we were told would reimburse for additional charges, if any. The following cruise was a San Diego to Mexico RT & they cut that cruise short by a day. Those passengers were reimbursed for one day's hotel costs while waiting for the ship.

All-in-all HA did an admirable job.

In 2008, on the Saphire, we were delayed 4 hours due to a mechanical problem with the ship in Cabo. They announced that the phones and internet would be free to those who registered at the Customer Service desk as being affected by this. The first person I spoke to at the desk was less than helpful and we spent more than an hour in our room trying to get a line out to change our flight reservation. Finally I went to the desk and found someone who was very helpful and even offered to call the airline on the desk phone. I was probably on that phone close to an hour(mostly on hold) but finally got a flight for the following day. She also suggested I contact the Princess office when we were home, and gave me a number to call. I did this and Princess reimbursed me for the hotel expenses and, I believe, the flight change expenses, after submitting receipts. I got up very early to use the internet to book a hotel. I was the only one there at that time and internet speed was great. I felt I was treated fairly by Princess in this, but I am not sure what would happen if weather was the cause rather than a mechanical issue.

I seem to remember some ten years or so when a major hurricane had caused havoc with many cruises. Cruise Critic had a rundown about what each cruiseline was doing to help passengers who ended up with an extra day on board who needed to rebook flights. Don't remember the details but IIRC some cruise lines did provide free phone and Internet service.

Archived