Tendered Vs Docking

BMW325

I will be on the Empress of the Seas in September and understand that the ship tenders off of Grand Cayman. I am scheduled to be in Grand Cayman from 7AM - 4PM.

My question is: I want to schedule a snorkeling tour with one of the local companies. What is the earliest I should schedule taking into account the extra time needed because of the ship being tendered instead of docked? If I am prepared to be off the ship closest to 7AM as I can, how long is the process to get to shore?

Thanks to all for your input.

Grand Cayman is one of the worst tender ports anywhere. If you are there when other ships are in port, you can wait for an hour or more to tender back. You really need to be back to the tender dock more than an hour before your ship is scheduled to depart. When we were on the Summit last April, there were 6 other huge ships there on the same day, and the tender dock was absolutely the worst. It took so long, and it was hot and everyone was cranky. You probably won't be able to leave the ship until after 8am, and they let those with ship's tours leave first, those in suites leave next and those with independent tours last. You will probably have to pick up tender tickets at the purser's desk and then wait in a room for your tender number to be called. Also, don't be shocked if the stop is canceled. GC is the most canceled stop in the Caribbean because it frequently has rough seas and the ships cannot anchor safely. I've had that port canceled three times.

Yes....I agree with all you said. Last year in March we managed to dock (thought they might not) but didn't get to do the sting ray swim because of high winds. However, we found out later many people did it anyway on their own and loved it. The tender boats are slow...takes atleast 20 min. or so once you are on the boat to shore. Coming back to the ship was awful....We got in the lonnnnnnnnnng line about 1 1/2 hrs. early and waited in line over an hour in the hot sun....got our only sunburn of the trip!!! But I might say...LOVED GRAND CAYMAN.:cool:

I didn't think the tender was that slow - 20mins max which to me is quite acceptable. However, as detailed above, it's a waiting game, both ways but especially coming back. BTW, I understand that the ships do not anchor at Grand Cayman. They use engines and GPS to maintain their position so if there is a stiff breeze trying to pushing them away, they can burn a lot of diesel in one day and go nowhere. That might just tip the balance if there is some doubt about going into Grand Cayman.

If your doubting GC because of the tendering.....DONT!!! We loved it there. Yes as I said above the tender is not the best part of it but GC is beautiful and great deals on jewelry.....my hubby and I spent $10,000 there last year!!:cool:

Its impossible to tell how long it will take you to go ashore as it depends on many factors such as how many ships are in port, the sea conditions, etc. It also depends on whether they reserve the first tenders for ship excursions or reserve some tenders for other passengers.

Your chosen tour company might be able to give you and idea as to how soon passengers tend to get ashore. I certainly would not reserve anything before 9 AM. And even then would be sure to be among the first in line for tender tickets.

Archived