12 year old boy smart casual attire in MDR

youngreflection

What can a 12 year old boy wear during the smart casual nights at the MDR? I have no problem with my 14 year old daughter coz she loves wearing dresses. But are skinny jeans with black sneakers, tshirt with or without collar, and maybe a casual sweater/jacket thrown over it good enough for a 12 year old boy?...and one other thing, for my daughter and I, are flat sandals with our short shift/summer dresses ok? Not those fitflops but gold/bejeweled leather sandals...

Sounds good. The boy's shirt needs to have sleeves (so no muscle shirt style). Clean jeans, a polo shirt or the like, just think what you might have him wear to a sit down restaurant. Pretty sandals for the ladies will be fine.

Some people find the dining rooms chilly -- so bring a shawl or a sweater to throw over your dresses.

thank you for the advice, I am trying to figure out how to travel light for our family of 4 since we have precruise and post cruise tours (3 weeks total days), so was thinking whatever we wear for our excursion, we can wear to mdr for dinner (straight to early sitting dinner after coming onboard)...I have been figuring out what polo really means in this forum. I am assuming polo is the short-sleeved counterpart of longsleeved polos one wears to work? Or polo as in those cotton collared shirt by Ralph Lauren/Lacoste etc? Hard to get my boy to wear cotton collared shirts, he prefers just plain tshirts (with sleeves) what more short-sleeved polos, he complains it's so stiff! ;)

Youngreflection

Not sure where you are cruising but if warm area and you wear shorts on the excursion.It is suggested no shorts in MDR. for dinner. After a long day touring you may feel like changing since you may feel sweaty.

Hope this doesn't start a discussion about what you should or shouldn't wear this post was just a reminder about what is suggested not mandatory.

Ralph Lauren is the ultimate polo shirt, but in general a polo shirt only has a few buttons at the top so you put it on over your head, as opposed to a button down shirt. The dress code actually doesn't say anything about collars, just that shirts must have sleeves.

Great to know polo shirts actually means those Ralph Lauren ones and not the buttoned down ones:)

Youngreflection

Not sure where you are cruising but if warm area and you wear shorts on the excursion.It is suggested no shorts in MDR. for dinner. After a long day touring you may feel like changing since you may feel sweaty.

Hope this doesn't start a discussion about what you should or shouldn't wear this post was just a reminder about what is suggested not mandatory.

My girl and I plan to pack and wear summer dresses even on our shore excursions, and would just change if we feel sweaty...yup! no shorts for sure, just short dresses:)

I think the whole point for smart casual evenings is the intent, looking like people made some effort to clean up for dinner. It's not so much whether jeans are OK, it's making sure you and your family look clean, neat, hair neatly combed, that sort of thing. I'm not sure what kind of shore excursions you all will be taking --- frankly, I don't come back from most of mine ready to go into the MDR for a nice dinner. I'm not saying you won't look fine, I'm just trying to bring up something else for you to think about. I have sailed NCL, and plenty of people go to dinner fresh from shore excursions or a day at the pool or beach. On Celebrity, I can't say I have ever seen anyone who would fit that description, it's generally a fairly dignified atmosphere. Do what you think is the best plan for your family , of course, and I must say that the dress code has loosened up significantly over the past several years. Since you posted this thread to ask advice, mine would be to not look like you just got back from a shore excursion. I don't mean for any of this to sound snide or snarky, I'm just trying to give you some feedback to your question.

thank you for the advice, I am trying to figure out how to travel light for our family of 4 since we have precruise and post cruise tours (3 weeks total days), so was thinking whatever we wear for our excursion, we can wear to mdr for dinner (straight to early sitting dinner after coming onboard)...I have been figuring out what polo really means in this forum. I am assuming polo is the short-sleeved counterpart of longsleeved polos one wears to work? Or polo as in those cotton collared shirt by Ralph Lauren/Lacoste etc? Hard to get my boy to wear cotton collared shirts, he prefers just plain tshirts (with sleeves) what more short-sleeved polos, he complains it's so stiff! ;)

What you describe is appropriate. A short sleeved polo with collar and buttons at top is fine except for formal nights when he'll need a dress shirt and tie for the main dining room.

I just want to say that I'm jealous that you have 3 full weeks! I'd love to take an extended vacation like yours!

I think the whole point for smart casual evenings is the intent, looking like people made some effort to clean up for dinner. It's not so much whether jeans are OK, it's making sure you and your family look clean, neat, hair neatly combed, that sort of thing. I'm not sure what kind of shore excursions you all will be taking --- frankly, I don't come back from most of mine ready to go into the MDR for a nice dinner. I'm not saying you won't look fine, I'm just trying to bring up something else for you to think about. I have sailed NCL, and plenty of people go to dinner fresh from shore excursions or a day at the pool or beach. On Celebrity, I can't say I have ever seen anyone who would fit that description, it's generally a fairly dignified atmosphere. Do what you think is the best plan for your family , of course, and I must say that the dress code has loosened up significantly over the past several years. Since you posted this thread to ask advice, mine would be to not look like you just got back from a shore excursion. I don't mean for any of this to sound snide or snarky, I'm just trying to give you some feedback to your question.

Hmmm...all I can say is I always plan our clothing for any vacation so all of us would look gorgeous in our pics that we post in our facebook...and yes with neatly-combed hair

Sounds good. The boy's shirt needs to have sleeves (so no muscle shirt style). Clean jeans, a polo shirt or the like, just think what you might have him wear to a sit down restaurant. Pretty sandals for the ladies will be fine.

Some people find the dining rooms chilly -- so bring a shawl or a sweater to throw over your dresses.

This. Says it all.

What you describe is appropriate. A short sleeved polo with collar and buttons at top is fine except for formal nights when he'll need a dress shirt and tie for the main dining room.

I just want to say that I'm jealous that you have 3 full weeks! I'd love to take an extended vacation like yours!

Yes, altho it's still months away, I am excited and very apprehensive at the same time. Our kids are , too. They are so into mythology due to those Rick Riordan books, they would really have their fill of mythology on this trip:)

Hate to say it but just like our school uniform! Khaki pants and polo shirt. I have been several Celebrity cruises and how kids dress matters a lot less than if they have good manners. I wouldn't even notice as long as it wasn't beachy day wear and flip flops. Do not stress. I get the same issue with my husband. We compromise with khaki pants, nice cotton sleeved shirt and his newest boat shoes. On the formal nights he puts on a blue blazer and possibly a tie.

You guys will make memories and have lots of fun!

...I have been figuring out what polo really means in this forum. I am assuming polo is the short-sleeved counterpart of longsleeved polos one wears to work? Or polo as in those cotton collared shirt by Ralph Lauren/Lacoste etc? Hard to get my boy to wear cotton collared shirts, he prefers just plain tshirts (with sleeves) what more short-sleeved polos, he complains it's so stiff! ;)

This is a polo shirt:

1c7885b_1c7886f_422-1708_RoyalBlue_jpg.tif?wid=180&hei=180&op_usm=.4,.8,0,0&resmode=sharp2

A polo short is dictated by style and doesn't need to be a brand name like Ralph Lauren or Lacoste. You can buy these in many types of fabrics including some as soft as T-shirts and some athletic fabrics that are very light and flexible.

The Celebrity dress code for the main dining room says no T-shirts. There is a bit more leeway for a young boy but my own opinion is that boys old enough to understand the difference (meaning older than toddlers) should follow the dress code and if they have any issues with it then it is a good time to explain that there is a dress code and it is appropriate to follow it.

If for some reason you feel differently then I'd at least go with a dressy t-shirt (nice quality fabric and no logos, pictures or prints) rather than a basic t-shirt.

Again, my personal opinion is that any shirt with a collar and short or long sleeves coupled with any long pants which are not grubby or ragged would be the most appropriate for your son as they would for any male. If you think you might get hot and dirty on your excursions then it only takes a minute to switch into a clean shirt. Likewise if your son prefers to wear a t-shirt during the excursions.

This is a polo shirt:

1c7885b_1c7886f_422-1708_RoyalBlue_jpg.tif?wid=180&hei=180&op_usm=.4,.8,0,0&resmode=sharp2

A polo short is dictated by style and doesn't need to be a brand name like Ralph Lauren or Lacoste. You can buy these in many types of fabrics including some as soft as T-shirts and some athletic fabrics that are very light and flexible.

The Celebrity dress code for the main dining room says no T-shirts. There is a bit more leeway for a young boy but my own opinion is that boys old enough to understand the difference (meaning older than toddlers) should follow the dress code and if they have any issues with it then it is a good time to explain that there is a dress code and it is appropriate to follow it.

If for some reason you feel differently then I'd at least go with a dressy t-shirt (nice quality fabric and no logos, pictures or prints) rather than a basic t-shirt.

Again, my personal opinion is that any shirt with a collar and short or long sleeves coupled with any long pants which are not grubby or ragged would be the most appropriate for your son as they would for any male. If you think you might get hot and dirty on your excursions then it only takes a minute to switch into a clean shirt. Likewise if your son prefers to wear a t-shirt during the excursions.

Yup! My boy has lots of polo shirts of different brands and colors. Thanks for the additional info

Yes, altho it's still months away, I am excited and very apprehensive at the same time. Our kids are , too. They are so into mythology due to those Rick Riordan books, they would really have their fill of mythology on this trip:)

From my experience european cruises tend to be more formal than caribbean cruises, especially on formal nights. Hope your children are enjoying Riordan's last book. :):)

Hate to say it but just like our school uniform! Khaki pants and polo shirt. I have been several Celebrity cruises and how kids dress matters a lot less than if they have good manners. I wouldn't even notice as long as it wasn't beachy day wear and flip flops. Do not stress. I get the same issue with my husband. We compromise with khaki pants, nice cotton sleeved shirt and his newest boat shoes. On the formal nights he puts on a blue blazer and possibly a tie.

You guys will make memories and have lots of fun!

Thank you! We surely will:D

Archived